It is currently September 23rd, 2017, 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Borneo Dispatches #16: Python's Last Meal (GRAPHIC CONTENT!)
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 11:34 pm 

Most visitors to Kuching visit Bako National Park, but very few realize that the swamps around Bako Village, the where you take the boat that brings you to the park proper, are pretty good herping grounds. So far we've seen water monitors and Dog-faced Watersnakes (Cerberus rhynchops) there, and a little roadcruise around the area last Saturday led me to the discovery presented here. It was only my second python ever (albeit the first one was in slightly better shape), and even though I could clearly see from the car the gross mangling the snake had taken, I stopped to take a closer look anyway. I was rewarded with a sight only a true (= "insane", in civilian-speak) herper could appreciate. As you can see, the hindquarters of a black rat are sticking out of the python's busted stomach, and that rat was in much better condition than the snake, as it was completely undigested. Although the accident must have happened the previous night, six hours of equatorial sunshine had already decomposed the snake into something very smelly, so I didn't pull the rat out any further to see the rest of it. Maybe I should have, but I'd forgotten to bring my hazmat mask...

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: Borneo Dispatches #16: Python's Last Meal (GRAPHIC CONTE
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:18 am 

Hans,

I'd be interested in hearing whether python activity there is similar to python activity in Florida - I find the best time to cruise them is really late at night, even on nights where other snake activity is low. Different species, I know, but would be interesting to see.

-Josh

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:21 am 

I don't know - yet. I plan on cruising the living daylights out of that road in the future :-)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:25 am 

Please do. A picture of a nice big retic road cruised might make me wet my pants.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:34 am 

Let's hope. While retics are considered good eatin' in some parts of South East Asia, the Bako area is mainly Muslim, which means peace for the wildlife: snakes, monkeys, otters (many of those around there), monitor lizards and most bird species are not halal. There even are a lot of wild boar left - imagine that :-)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 8:32 am 

I'm holding to it -- even when they're mangled to bits, there's no prettier array of colors on any other python. Hans, you were saying that you're not impressed by the number of snakes that you've found so far in Kuching. You said that you could find this number of snakes in one night in Taiwan. I think the one difference here is that almost every time you find a snake, certainly every time you post about one, it's a different species. If I found a different species of snake every time I went out, I'd be discovering species new to science out here. That is one cool looking mangled mess. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 10:08 am 

"Snakes in the Dutch East Indies are as rare as genuine quotes on the internet" - Alfred Russel Wallace (1897)

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 4:50 pm 

Warren wrote:
"Snakes in the Dutch East Indies are as rare as genuine quotes on the internet" - Alfred Russel Wallace (1897)

:lol: :cry:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 12:16 am 

Warren wrote:

Pure, true comedy genius. Sadly, only 0.0000076% of the planet's general population will get the joke....

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 5:37 am 

Warren wrote:

bwahahahaha!

:thumb:

Profile WWW