Mississippi Herp Photos

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jayder85

Mississippi Herp Photos

Post by jayder85 »

Here are some pics that i got while living in Hattiesburg Mississippi briefly. Trips yielded tons of species but I didn't receive a camera until later on and i never had much time to take trips out. Just three or four. But i did get photos of animals that i had never had the opportunity to see before in KY.

Green Treefrog

Barking Treefrog. There was some controversy early on regarding this ID, but I got a positive ID on it from Dick Bartlett.

Bird Voiced Treefrog

Slider complete with leaches

Pascagoula Map Turtle

American Alligator. About an 8 footer! They are common as all get out, but i always enjoyed seeing these!

House Gecko. Extremely common invasive species in the south. There were about 20 of these that hung around my patio light every single night. I loved to sit and watch them.

Scarlet Kingsnake

Pigmy Rattler. Awesome little snakes!

I would love to make a trip back down at some point specifically to do some herping. I worked so much that i really didnt get to do too much as far as that goes. Maybe sometime!
Coluber Constrictor

Re: Mississippi Herp Photos

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Nice stuff. Your "barking treefrog" is squirrel treefrog though. Barkers are beefier with more rounded spots

billysbrown

Post by billysbrown »

jayder85 wrote:One of the Map Turtle species. I am not very familiar with these.
Looks like a female G. flavimaculata to me. You also have G. gibbonsi in the Leaf/Pascagoula River system.

Happy Herping,
Billy
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The slider isn't a red-eared slider. Maybe yellow-bellied slider? I'm not familiar with Miss. turtles.

-Chris
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Chris Smith wrote:The slider isn't a red-eared slider. Maybe yellow-bellied slider? I'm not familiar with Miss. turtles.

-Chris
I am horrible with turtles. Red Ears are all we have here and there are so many turtle species is the deep south. Snakes and salamanders are my "thing" lol
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

billysbrown wrote:
jayder85 wrote:One of the Map Turtle species. I am not very familiar with these.

Looks like a female G. flavimaculata to me. You also have G. gibbonsi in the Leaf/Pascagoula River system.

Happy Herping,
Billy
This turtle was photographed in Ward Bayou WMA right on the Pascagoula River and this was the only Map Turtle that i had seen.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Stohlgren wrote:Nice stuff. Your "barking treefrog" is squirrel treefrog though. Barkers are beefier with more rounded spots
I am afaid i have to call it a barker. I have seen plenty in Western KY and so i know what they look like. Nothing in Western KY to confuse them with. Also just with the size there is no way it could be a Squirrel.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:Cool post, especially the barking treefrog and the snakes. I don't think scarlet kings or pygmy rattlers are very common finds in that state, I could be wrong though. I haven't herped that part of MS before, but I know a great spot a bit southeast of there. Haven't seen too many snakes there yet, but I have seen just about every other kind of wildlife you can imagine, including a few unexpected species.
Pigmys are not common at all. I dont think that Scarlet Kings are "common" anywhere, but i think in the right habitat it isnt super hard to find them in south Mississippi. I know places in Georgia where you can get multiple SKs found in a day. I always love finding them. What unexpected species have you found?
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Great stuff! The treefrog looks more like a barking, IMO.
Coluber Constrictor

Coluber Constrictor

jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

I am going to call it a Barker. That is what i called it when i found it. I have seen plenty of Barking treefrogs in Western KY and there are no other species to confues them with so i know what they look like. Not to mention there were only Barkers and Greens calling in that area. I just dont think that a Squirrel has that much coloring, at least none that i have seen photos of. Hybrid? Possibly. I know that it was as big as any KY barking treefrogs that i have seen.

The slider is up for grabs. Aquatic turtle species down there is something that i have no knowledge about so I will leave that one to you guys.