+2 for the Wife . . .

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Blackfeet

+2 for the Wife . . .

Post by Blackfeet »

For the second time in a week, my wife is in the backyard working on her garden, and finds a snake. The first was a Cal. King, that I did not get photos of.

Today, she found a Red Coachwhip

My son holding the prize:

Me:

This, BTW, is a lifer for me, in my own backyard! I knew we lived in Red Coachwhip habitiat, but I have yet to see one.

I am going to quite looking in the hills, and just wait for the snakes to come to us!
Ross Padilla

Re: +2 for the Wife . . .

Post by Ross Padilla »

That is really cool you guys can find snakes in your backyard. Nice looking Coachwhip, I love those snakes. :thumb:

Not trying to scare anyone but be sure your wife is aware rattlers can get in the back yard too. I'm sure you've told her but it can't hurt to remind her every now and then. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcDZbXslfw
Blackfeet

Post by Blackfeet »

My wife does very well. She has "herded" (using a home-made snake stick) several Rattlesnakes back to the field south of us where they come from. From now until the end of the summer they will come into the yards looking for water.

We actually found about a 4.5ft Southern Pacific under a sprinkler that was left running (accidentally) in the middle of the afternoon with it's head up to catch some water. Kind of cool.

She does say thank you for your concern, however. :)
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Thats good to hear. :thumb: If I lived there I don't think I could help but set up at least one piece of AC to flip every now and then. Are the snakes just passing by from near by habitat or are you guys right on the edge of that habitat?
Blackfeet

Post by Blackfeet »

Ross Padilla wrote:Thats good to hear. :thumb: If I lived there I don't think I could help but set up at least one piece of AC to flip every now and then. Are the snakes just passing by from near by habitat or are you guys right on the edge of that habitat?

We are right on the edge. South of us, there is nothing but miles and miles of open brush land and hills. We get all kinds of wildlife passing through - mostly looking for water. Raccoons, Opossums, Coyotes, the occasional Deer. We have a Gray Fox that will visit time-to-time during the day. California Dept. of Fish & Game even trapped and GPS-collared a Montain Lion about a mile from here.

I wouldn't mind if one of those didn't make a meal of my neighbors little Shitzu dogs - constantly yapping!
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

:lol: I know what you mean.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Very cool. Congrats :thumb: ! I've been looking for Coachwhips in this area for years. When you hit the hills around your house what time do you usually go. I sent you a pm. Don't know if you are up for night-walking some of the trails in your area.

reako45