Taxonomic Questions- Lampropeltis getula and Pantherophis

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

intermedius

Taxonomic Questions- Lampropeltis getula and Pantherophis

Post by intermedius »

Hi guys,

I know there has been a lot of controversy with these snakes on top in which we should call Lampropeltis getula or Lampropeltis nigra and where snakes lead off in clades and lineages and all that. The reason I'm suddenly asking is that I'm trying to make a guide to all the snakes covered by NAFHA-NE chapter. With all these revisions, It's hard to keep track especially with Rat Snakes. In Pantherophis, would you call the snakes east of the Appalachians Grey Rats or Blacks? Same with kings. Also, has anyone recorded Kings from PA? Their range seems to be too close to PA. This nonsense should be removed. Pantherophis is fine, but splitting taxa like this is illogical due to the ICZN, and its getting to be a nuisance for people like me. :x .

What are your two cents?

Justin
Mike VanValen

Re: Taxonomic Questions- Lampropeltis getula and Pantherophi

Post by Mike VanValen »

I know everyone is cringing at the thought of tackling this...

The HERP database used the 3 species of Pantherophis for a while (as outlined by Burbrink), and we were assigning any ratsnake found east of the appalachians as the Eastern Ratsnake (Pantherophis allegheniensis), whether they were black, yellow, gray or in between (the cow snakes, greenish rats, etc.)

However, as covered by this chapter, snakes in large portions of PA, upstate NY, western MD, West VA and up into VT, NH and ME were considered P. spiloides , the Central Ratsnake. Again, all color forms fell under the species.

It was a mess and we had snakes under several different names from the same area in the database. We eventually reverted back to Pantherophis obsoletus (yes, we adopted Pantherophis over Elaphe a while ago) for the database, including all of the other subspecies that we all know and love.

So, according to the database, you use the subspecies in accordance to your area. For me, it is the Black Ratsnake (Pantherophis o. obsoletus).

It's a personal choice. Some people don't agree with the change but it is what it is.

I'll leave the Lampropeltis topic for someone else.