neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the 163

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
User avatar
rosy-man
Posts: 317
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: East of san diego

neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the 163

Post by rosy-man » February 2nd, 2012, 7:21 pm

This is downtown san diego folks, i cant believe snakes r still in this area anyone else see or hear of any snakes this close too the city! posting here because of overzealous moderator keeps deleting posts in ca chapter thanks for any help guys.

neherper
Posts: 129
Joined: June 11th, 2011, 7:31 am

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by neherper » February 2nd, 2012, 8:18 pm

most garter snake ssp utilize all forms of habitat. trash works just as well as cover as logs and rocks do. i live in nebraska and there are plains garters and red sided garters in all the cities here, big or small.

User avatar
SurfinHerp
Posts: 653
Joined: October 18th, 2010, 7:55 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by SurfinHerp » February 3rd, 2012, 8:34 pm

Did you tell that gator snake to keep going a little further south on the 163, then head east to get back to the Zoo? :lol:

User avatar
rosy-man
Posts: 317
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: East of san diego

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by rosy-man » February 3rd, 2012, 10:22 pm

yep it was real close their looks too be a 3 to 5 acre canyon that could hold snakes but its surrounded all ways by freeway so who knows pretty cool find though

User avatar
Ross Padilla
Posts: 2665
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Location: I love L.A.
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by Ross Padilla » February 3rd, 2012, 11:10 pm

I looked up that canyon and yes I'm sure there are still snakes in there. Probably kings and Gophers and no doubt Garters if you seen one. Other species seem to disappear from those areas first. Nice find! Its always cool seeing something in a place you least expect it. :thumb:

squinn
Posts: 128
Joined: October 21st, 2011, 2:30 am

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by squinn » February 4th, 2012, 5:45 am

urban herping is always an unexpectedly fun experience, it's amazing how little space will make a sustainable refuge for certain species, be nice to see a little bit more undeveloped spaces like this set aside in urban areas.

User avatar
rosy-man
Posts: 317
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: East of san diego

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by rosy-man » February 4th, 2012, 2:14 pm

thanks ross it blew me away im gonna head back that way tomorrow and take a peek.

corey.raimond
Posts: 240
Joined: July 20th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by corey.raimond » February 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm

In one of my classes we had to read the autobiography of a someone who grew up in the ghetto on the south side of Chicago.There was a paragraph in there about how he and his friends would find "garden snakes" in the empty lot, but they didn't go there too often because it was gang territory.

-Corey

User avatar
Don Becker
Posts: 3331
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 3:21 am
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by Don Becker » February 4th, 2012, 4:39 pm

When I was a kid, we had garters that overwintered in our basement, just outside of downtime Davenport, IA. I've heard stories about Kirtland's Snakes being found in empty lots in cities as well.

User avatar
Brandon D
Posts: 203
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Location: Belton, Mo
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by Brandon D » February 4th, 2012, 5:35 pm

When I lived in south kc Mo as a kid I would find garter snakes, worm snakes (in the old leaves next to foundations), brown snakes, lined snakes, racers, black rats, and skinks very common. The good thing about growing up in the ghetto was all the lawns that were way over needing mowed which often also possessed many things for snakes to call home, and my house had a "concrete line" in the yard it also had a stone wall in the back, which is where I learned a lot about herping, not to mention water meters, many urban snakes hibernate in these. In fact the highest density of garter snakes Ive found were located in south kc, Im talking about 85th and Paseo area, the same goes with line snakes and brown snakes, I find them more common in urban areas than in natural areas. Heres a big ole parietalis from that area one of my first herp photographs lol,
Image
I think I found her behind Mama Tios a great place for a huge draft and burrito lol if you go there get the "Sancho Supreme" delicious lol
:beer:

captain uta
Posts: 33
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by captain uta » February 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the new locality Rosyman :thumb: I saw 8 kingsnakes a couple of days ago.

User avatar
Kevin Price
Posts: 420
Joined: October 13th, 2010, 8:42 am
Location: So. California
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by Kevin Price » February 4th, 2012, 8:15 pm

I'm sure there are more, and other snakes as well in that area. Just north of that area is the large canyon west of University Heights, and then the Balboa Park area is only about 10 blocks south. In fact, our own NatureNate has found Jackson Chameleons in the trees of Balboa Park! There's a lot of open land near that area, and I've often wanted to hunt it because it looks good when I drive through it.

User avatar
umop apisdn
Posts: 395
Joined: June 13th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by umop apisdn » February 5th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Did you ever think that maybe it got deleted because you've posted just about the most specific location I've ever seen on here?

I guess the moderators are making exceptions for urban herp sightings.

User avatar
rosy-man
Posts: 317
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: East of san diego

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by rosy-man » February 5th, 2012, 11:37 pm

freeway on ramp is not a local, and common a garter snake, that moderator has a thing for me lol I feel like a republican lol

User avatar
herpseeker1978
Posts: 1137
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:05 am
Location: Albuquerque

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by herpseeker1978 » February 6th, 2012, 9:11 am

rosy-man wrote:freeway on ramp is not a local, and common a garter snake, that moderator has a thing for me lol I feel like a republican lol
Did you read the terms of posting? It says specifically that you are not to post a specific locale. The title of your post IS a specific locale. Also, if you want people to show you respect, try a spell-checker. There are two spelling mistakes in your title and don't even get me started on the quote above. I don't think the moderator has a "thing" for you, you were just violating rules. Now everyone who can search the internet knows where you found that snake and because of additional posts, we now know there is a whole area where they are. The reason locales are not published is because now any collector can go to that area and collect and possibly affect the population. Your very cool discovery could shortly disappear. Is that what you want? Just keep in mind that there are people who profit off of collecting animals and selling them. That is what we are trying to avoid.

Josh

User avatar
rosy-man
Posts: 317
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: East of san diego

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by rosy-man » February 6th, 2012, 9:42 am

opinions opinions, everyone has one too me a freeway on ramp is not a local. Oh and thanks for the English lesson teach :roll: and another the ca moderator has banned simple photos because of the out of season rule amongst other reasons its his way or no way and that's no way to moderate look it up school boy, hope my grammar is up too par :!:

User avatar
Fundad
Posts: 5721
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 6:11 am
Location: Los Angeles County
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by Fundad » February 6th, 2012, 10:38 am

Your CA post was removed because it, included a personal attack and a specific local.

No other reason... Specific locals are not permitted.

Also I have not and will not be removing any IN Seasons posts, even if I disagree with them..

There have been Zero posts removed, because of pictures of in seasons herps....

You are obviously trying to start stir things up..

Fundad

User avatar
herpseeker1978
Posts: 1137
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:05 am
Location: Albuquerque

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by herpseeker1978 » February 6th, 2012, 11:41 am

rosy-man wrote:opinions opinions, everyone has one too me a freeway on ramp is not a local. Oh and thanks for the English lesson teach :roll: and another the ca moderator has banned simple photos because of the out of season rule amongst other reasons its his way or no way and that's no way to moderate look it up school boy, hope my grammar is up too par :!:
If you want to appear as a 5-year old, that's your personal preference. A locale is the specific location that you found an animal, so saying specifically where you found the snake, whether it be an intersection, or a specific rock, canyon or what have you is a locale. Merriam-websters dictionary defines locale as:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/locale wrote: a place or locality especially when viewed in relation to a particular event or characteristic.
You were wondering why people weren't giving you respect, that's why I mentioned the grammar. I did not attack you personally, so there is no reason for you to attack me. I was just putting the facts out there. Take it or leave it, don't make it personal. You don't know me, I don't know you. I was just saying that when I see all the spelling mistakes, etc, I feel like I'm talking to a five-year-old. I was NOT ATTACKING you. I was giving you advice if you want to survive on this board. Do you know the moderator personally? What if he has something that could help you in the future? (He probably does) You just burned that bridge because you can't read terms of posting and follow them. I have a population of checkered whiptails in an urban neighborhood here in Albuquerque, I would not tell where they were even though it is near a major intersection and close to a high school and a common species to boot. These locales are actually more important to keep under wraps for the reasons stated in my post above. If you have no problem telling the world where there is a location for these animals, you might as well just go ahead and collect or kill all the animals now, because that is what you are doing. Little locales in urban areas are already dealing with enough pressures from cars, people who don't understand snakes and not to mention urban waste and chemicals. So, take this information and do what you will do with it. You're not going to make it very far in this world if you can't take constructive criticism. Again, I was not attacking you. I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to offer you some reasons why you were getting your posts deleted.

Josh

User avatar
FunkyRes
Posts: 1994
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:19 am
Location: Redding, CA
Contact:

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by FunkyRes » February 6th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Several years back I posted a specific locale where I wanted to LOOK for something rare, not even that I had found it.

Whether coincidence or not I don't know, but shortly after, a herper in that area noted that all kinds of rocks and logs had been flipped without putting them back.

Also several years ago, I posted the name of a creek where I had found quite a few alligator lizards.
I posted it because I was being immature and obstinate about how freaky people were about posting locales even for common stuff.

Last few years, I rarely find anything there because rocks and logs are constantly flipped without anyone putting them back. Did some kid google Alligator Lizard Redding and find my post, and now he and his friends destructively herp my spot? It's quite possible that spot is ruined because of me.

Do not post locales. Lazy people who can not find locales of their own are the same lazy people who will flip debris without putting it back. You may find that small piece of habitat ruined as far as herping goes because someone now knows where to look for stuff who otherwise would have never even guessed that herps might be found there.

squinn
Posts: 128
Joined: October 21st, 2011, 2:30 am

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by squinn » February 27th, 2012, 7:44 am

I get the not posting locales on unknown spots thing....really i do, but what drives me nuts is when people get all twitchy at you for naming a local when it is on your particular states fish and wildlife home page, or snake road or any such commonly known place.

User avatar
herpseeker1978
Posts: 1137
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:05 am
Location: Albuquerque

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by herpseeker1978 » February 27th, 2012, 6:38 pm

squinn wrote:I get the not posting locales on unknown spots thing....really i do, but what drives me nuts is when people get all twitchy at you for naming a local when it is on your particular states fish and wildlife home page, or snake road or any such commonly known place.
The website tells you you can find garter snakes there? Just because a locale is published somewhere, doesn't mean you should just tell everyone there is a population there. Snake road is a very well known locale, there is already plenty of information about it out there and mentioning it isn't giving it away, it is already known. The point is, if someone wants to find a critter, they can look up public land or open areas and look up range maps and see where they overlap. The point is, finding areas is part of the deal. If you want to see an animal, go to a zoo. If you want to field herp, find some spots and try them out. The people who want to cut out the finding areas aspect are generally up to no good. These are the people who are going to collect whether it is legal or not. It's all about protecting the animals. If you don't want to protect them, then kiss them goodbye, especially in southern California. There are a lot of people in southern California. More people means more potential for people to ruin that area for you. It also sounds like it is very close to the city and therefor is already a sensitive area for any wildlife let alone herps. Broadcasting to the world that you found a snake there is not a good idea. If you want to continue to find snakes there, only tell people that you trust! You have to look past now. Well, I'm done, either you get it or you don't. I'm really just trying to help you out. You can learn the easy way or the hard way, so, to quote one of my favorite movies: "You must choose, choose wisely." Don't end up like this guy:


Josh

squinn
Posts: 128
Joined: October 21st, 2011, 2:30 am

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by squinn » April 22nd, 2012, 8:05 am

.........

squinn
Posts: 128
Joined: October 21st, 2011, 2:30 am

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by squinn » April 22nd, 2012, 8:24 am

herpseeker1978 wrote:
squinn wrote:I get the not posting locales on unknown spots thing....really i do, but what drives me nuts is when people get all twitchy at you for naming a local when it is on your particular states fish and wildlife home page, or snake road or any such commonly known place.
The website tells you you can find garter snakes there? Just because a locale is published somewhere, doesn't mean you should just tell everyone there is a population there. Snake road is a very well known locale, there is already plenty of information about it out there and mentioning it isn't giving it away, it is already known. The point is, if someone wants to find a critter, they can look up public land or open areas and look up range maps and see where they overlap. The point is, finding areas is part of the deal. If you want to see an animal, go to a zoo. If you want to field herp, find some spots and try them out. The people who want to cut out the finding areas aspect are generally up to no good. These are the people who are going to collect whether it is legal or not. It's all about protecting the animals. If you don't want to protect them, then kiss them goodbye, especially in southern California. . I'm really just trying to help you out.

Josh
Thank you for "just trying to help me" but i really don't want or need your help in forming my belief system of herp ethics. I'm pretty comfortable with my interpretation of right and wrong where herp conservation is concerned. It is fairly likely to not change much at this point in my life as i consider myself a pragmatic conservationist where herp related issues are concerned.


I wasn't referring to any place in particular just pointing out very commonly known places such as snake road are in some instances notated on fish and wildlife websites, or other state run websites therefore secrecy and protection for those spots becomes a completely moot point at least to my way of thinking therefore i don't get all worked up about it personally, then again neither do i personally publish them but as i stated a simple internet keyword search will reveal that type of information in some of these cases, it isn't a secret or even hard to find. On another note I am not involved or even on the same coast as this issue so i think you are directing your comment at the wrong person but I'll tell you what let me get back to you in about two months.......... wth is up with all these thread necros anyway?

User avatar
herpseeker1978
Posts: 1137
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:05 am
Location: Albuquerque

Re: neet find saw gater snake crossing washington st at the

Post by herpseeker1978 » April 22nd, 2012, 9:06 am

squinn wrote:
herpseeker1978 wrote:
squinn wrote:I get the not posting locales on unknown spots thing....really i do, but what drives me nuts is when people get all twitchy at you for naming a local when it is on your particular states fish and wildlife home page, or snake road or any such commonly known place.
The website tells you you can find garter snakes there? Just because a locale is published somewhere, doesn't mean you should just tell everyone there is a population there. Snake road is a very well known locale, there is already plenty of information about it out there and mentioning it isn't giving it away, it is already known. The point is, if someone wants to find a critter, they can look up public land or open areas and look up range maps and see where they overlap. The point is, finding areas is part of the deal. If you want to see an animal, go to a zoo. If you want to field herp, find some spots and try them out. The people who want to cut out the finding areas aspect are generally up to no good. These are the people who are going to collect whether it is legal or not. It's all about protecting the animals. If you don't want to protect them, then kiss them goodbye, especially in southern California. . I'm really just trying to help you out.

Josh
Thank you for "just trying to help me" but i really don't want or need your help in forming my belief system of herp ethics. I'm pretty comfortable with my interpretation of right and wrong where herp conservation is concerned. It is fairly likely to not change much at this point in my life as i consider myself a pragmatic conservationist where herp related issues are concerned.


I wasn't referring to any place in particular just pointing out very commonly known places such as snake road are in some instances notated on fish and wildlife websites, or other state run websites therefore secrecy and protection for those spots becomes a completely moot point at least to my way of thinking therefore i don't get all worked up about it personally, then again neither do i personally publish them but as i stated a simple internet keyword search will reveal that type of information in some of these cases, it isn't a secret or even hard to find. On another note I am not involved or even on the same coast as this issue so i think you are directing your comment at the wrong person but I'll tell you what let me get back to you in about two months.......... wth is up with all these thread necros anyway?
sorry man, thought you were to original poster

Josh

Post Reply