It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grammar time
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:39 pm 

Stohlgren wrote:
And the plural form of genus is genera. Not genuses or genus' or any other random thing people come up with.

Along those same lines, "species" is both singular and plural. I don't know that I've seen it on this board, but it drives me nuts when someone refers to a specie of something...

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:49 pm 

Brian Hubbs wrote:
You're right Phil, I just checked Blanchard's 1921 "Revision of the King Snakes" and he had the words separate (although the reprint had them together on the cover of the book). I guess Conant changed it in the 1950s.

Vindication is sweet :D I do wonder if the edition of Blanchards book you are referring to is the reprint that CNAH did a few years back though? If so, it would not reflect the original, but would rather be a facsimle

Phil

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:51 pm 

Oh, so you want vindication twice? OK, twice it is... :lol:

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:13 pm 

And while I'm thinking of it: an ellipsis is a powerful tool that should not be over-used. I myself enjoy using ellipses quite frequently, but note:

......Typing like this...... ..... can be really.... really............really....................annoying................

I've seen it used a lot on FHF, and would be a fan of it stopping. I'm generally against dictatorships, but...

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:21 pm 

Wow, Cabin fever is rampant!

You folks are right though.
:x :x :x

If a young herper puts up pictures of an albino, two-headed Scarlet Kingsnake, I won’t even look at it if there is a grammatical error. :roll: ;) ;)

What really pisses me off, is when a published author complains about errors in written English on the forum, and makes an error himself.
Quote:
u for you people in Rio Linda, and for this rule. example:

Should be

"u for you people in Rio Linda, and for this rule. Example:"

Hans,
Everyone knows that your

Quote:
- "Just because you're an English native speaker, doesn't mean you write English well"

Should be

- "Just because you're a native English speaker, doesn't mean you write English gooderl"

I once was in an environment with several folks writing letters home.

The guy next to me asks, “Bill, how do you spell whether/weather?”

I asked him which whether/weather do you mean?

His reply was, “whether or not it is raining outside.”

You tell me. Which did he want?

PS
Finally for you herpers who have great posts and have been intimidated by all this anal retention, just write your post in Microsoft Word and do a spell and grammar check on it but keep your sanity with herp esoteric jargon and neologisms.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:44 pm 

BillMcGighan wrote:
Wow, Cabin fever is rampant!

Bill you beat me to the punch.

It's funny all our published authors, and nitpickers are on this thread boo who whooing over grammar used on a public forum on the INTERNET!

Em htiw erab esaelP. em rof drah si yltcerroc gnilleps dna, aixelsyd evah yllautca I.

Thank god for spell check, and understanding forum members.

-Dell

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:47 pm 

gbin wrote:
I don't know why, but one that has always especially bugged me is ensure versus insure. The first means to do whatever one must to make certain that something does or doesn't happen ("I locked the rattler's cage to ensure that no one else could let it out"), the second means to be protected in the event that something does or doesn't happen contrary to one's wishes ("I found a company to insure me in case the rattler gets out and bites someone, anyway").

And gray versus grey, too. The first is American English, the second is British English.

And to follow up on what Stohlgren posted, the singular form of species is the same as the plural form: species. "Specie" is not a word.

Geez, Brian et al., now you've gotten me started! :x

Gerry

Dear Gerry, Specie is in fact a word, usually used in reference to coins or sometimes gold bullion. I concur that is is often misused in reference to biological nomenclature etc.

I am amused at persons using various slang words, especially of origins from a language they are unfamiliar with. "Voila!" an expression is sometimes on this forum expressed as "Walla"...

I hope we collectively don't obsess on correcting everyone's grammar, as some of you have more better learnin' than others and we shood not discourage folks from postin. I have seen persons make points in a debated topic and others just "nit-picked" the guys grammatical errors, missing the major points or just using grammatical errors to ridicule.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:53 pm 

I know I have made my share of grammar mistakes! But a great winter post and one that has us all thinking!

Couple quick questions for those who may know!

Is it pygmy or pigmy as in rattlesnakes? I thought pygmy but I have 3 books that say pigmy!

Also is it hog-nose or hognose, ring-necked or ringneck, red-bellied or redbellied, the list goes on! Just when is that hyphen used?

Hope I didn't make a grammar mistake in this reply! :)

Gary

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm 

I know I'm guilty of writing a quick line and not proofreading, and I don't apologize. I don't have the time and it's not like I'm writing to a congressman, it's a bunch of people I share a hobby with.

The only pet peeve I have since we're on that kick is when I continuously see people saying "the latin name". What is the Latin name? I'm assuming people are referring to specific epithets, or even the taxonomic name, maybe a binomial even. But so many names don't use Latin but use Greek, or even a native word that describes the area the animal came from. Example would be Naja kauouthia which isn't Latin or Greek.

I'm a big fan of not using common names without the binomials. Too many names on this forum have huge overlap, or are from such a small area of use that they don't make sense internationally, maybe not even regionally.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:16 pm 

example corrected Bill...

It's Pigmy, Hognose, Ringneck, and Redbelly.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:18 pm 

Gary and I are on the same page! The last I heard it was Redbelly snake. Right or wrong, who gives a flip, I don't know. :lol: All I know is they sure are neat little snakes. :)

Phil

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:24 pm 

Quote:
Is it pygmy or pigmy as in rattlesnakes? I thought pygmy but I have 3 books that say pigmy!

It should be pygmy, not pigmy. Examples of why it should be Pygmy (in no particular order):

1) Consonants are cooler than vowels (a word that does not contain a real vowel is especially cool)
2) Pygmy is a word
3) Pygmyish is a word (pigmyish and pigmiish are not words)
4) Pygmoid is a word (pigmoid is not)
5) Pygmalion is a word (Pigmalion; don't think so)
6) Pygmy peoples (not pigmy peoples)

I can't imagine why anyone wanted to change a perfectly good spelling. However, it's very clear that a battle is happening, and those who choose the 'y' are clearly superior beings!

Quote:
Also is it hog-nose or hognose, ring-necked or ringneck, red-bellied or redbellied, the list goes on! Just when is that hyphen used?

Hognose, ringneck, redbelly. If anyone argues ask them the common name of Agkistrodon contortrix. If their response is copperhead, they lost the argument, period! If they say copper-headed snake they are consistent but still lose;)

Shane

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:32 pm 

VICtort wrote:
Dear Gerry, Specie is in fact a word, usually used in reference to coins or sometimes gold bullion...

How about that! Thanks, VIC, you just expanded my vocabulary - and that doesn't happen all that often, these days. :thumb:

I agree with various folks here, chasing people off by being overly critical of their writing is decidedly the wrong idea for a forum such as FHF. It's much better to compile our criticisms as we are in this thread, which allows us to vent, gets our points across and doesn't pick on anyone in particular. About the only time that I'll say something to someone about the writing in their forum post is when it's so bad as to make it difficult or impossible to understand what they're trying to say. If someone writes that poorly, well, then I think they should probably do something about it (if they're able) for their own good. Students, colleagues, etc. whose work I'm reviewing, though, get the full treatment from me just as I want my work to get the full treatment from them.

Gerry

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 10:33 pm 

When I was a tweed, I was half-charlied, so the other kids said I was always just 'deekin'--and was too scared to say a thing. We've all piked for dusties now, our harpin' days are gone. But we'll never be tebow, if Boont is pikin' on, ya damn apple-heads. So just barney up, and don't spare the bill nunn. You must do much graymatterin fore pikin for seekin Ite steaks to gorm, cause the sockers might not be bahlers, but nonchers with dusties dust, so deek your bok well.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 10:52 pm 

In a project that Bob Young and I are working on about Mississippi snakes, we do not strictly adhear to the SSAR rules. They are great guidelines but also a bit cumbersome:

We capitalize all formal common names, but not variations. Example: Gray Ratsnake but not "ratsnake" or "chickensnake."

Certain SSAR names do not trip off the tongue. "Eastern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake." It's an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.

Hognose and redbelly. Not "hog-nosed" or "red-bellied." All snakes are "nosed" or have noses. Same for redbelly or longtail. All snakes are "bellied" and "tailed". No hypens or "ed" needed.

What about using the word "snake" after many common names? We don't say, Robin Bird or Redtail Hawk Bird. "Eastern Indigo" for example, should be enough.

Some names just don't jive: Glossy Crawfish Snakes that inhabit crayfish holes and feed on crawdads. We use "Glossy Crawfish Snake, Graham's Crawfish Snake, and Queensnake." We also use "crawfish" when referring the crustacean.

This addresses just the tip of the iceburg, and if it weren't after midnight, I could keep going. I will say, that if common names are going to be standardized, there should be more consideration for the everyday citizen. Nowhere in the United States is Sistrurus miliarius known as a "Pygmy Rattlesnake." Only herpetologists and casual naturalists call it that. To every land owner, hunter, farmer, gardener, forester, and fisherman, it is a "ground rattler." IMO, they should be called the Carolina Ground Rattler, Dusky Ground Rattler, and the Western Ground Rattler.

Who's old enough to remember the days of rattle-snake, cotton-mouth, and copper-headed snake (all snakes are headed unless the meet the farmer's hoe)?

Cheers,

TV

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 11:47 pm 

When I discovered that the egregiously incorrect "preventative" has recently become an accepted alternate spelling of "preventive," through its near-universal misspelling/mispronunciation, I died a little inside.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 12:49 am 

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? If a woodchuck could chuck wood :lol: :lol:

How that for Grammar? That damn predict spelling will get you of your not careful! :crazyeyes:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 12:54 am 

I do not care about the spelling of others or grammar, but I am concerned by my own. Now . Haha. The spell check thing is too many steps . I like manual things - the weightlessness of the blips are unsettling.

My favorite poster currently is Jimi - he writes like brushed steel.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 6:08 am 

Terry Vandeventer wrote:
In a project that Bob Young and I are working on about Mississippi snakes, we do not strictly adhear to the SSAR rules. They are great guidelines but also a bit cumbersome:

You don't strictly what now?

Sorry, I had to bite. :thumb:

Shane_TX wrote:
It should be pygmy, not pigmy. Examples of why it should be Pygmy (in no particular order):

1) Consonants are cooler than vowels (a word that does not contain a real vowel is especially cool)
2) Pygmy is a word
3) Pygmyish is a word (pigmyish and pigmiish are not words)
4) Pygmoid is a word (pigmoid is not)
5) Pygmalion is a word (Pigmalion; don't think so)
6) Pygmy peoples (not pigmy peoples)

That and shortening the name to "Pyg" is much cool than "Pig."

Grammar subforum? :lol:

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 6:17 am 

gbin wrote:
I agree with various folks here, chasing people off by being overly critical of their writing is decidedly the wrong idea for a forum such as FHF. It's much better to compile our criticisms as we are in this thread, which allows us to vent, gets our points across and doesn't pick on anyone in particular. About the only time that I'll say something to someone about the writing in their forum post is when it's so bad as to make it difficult or impossible to understand what they're trying to say. If someone writes that poorly, well, then I think they should probably do something about it (if they're able) for their own good. Students, colleagues, etc. whose work I'm reviewing, though, get the full treatment from me just as I want my work to get the full treatment from them.

Gerry

I think you're right, Gerry, but I'd like to add that my comments aren't meant as criticism - far from it. I just know that I appreciate it when someone takes the time to point out something that I've written incorrectly, and that's the spirit in which my comments are given, too. As long as someone's comments/corrections are relayed in a polite manner, I'd much rather be enlightened than remain ignorant. This kind of stuff doesn't matter to most people in most situations, but in some instances, like resumes or professional writing, it does matter, and I like to get it right.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 7:51 am 

Mark Brown wrote:
I think that a lot of this stuff is a direct reflection on the sad state of the American education system. I still remember how to deal with grammar from school, 40 years ago, and my nephew tells me that they don't spend much on it at all these days.

So true. Just last week at "Parent/Teacher Day", I had one of my son's 5th grade teachers complain about kids being penalized for incorrect spelling. She actually said that knowing how to spell properly should not matter since computers have spell check. WTF? Why learn to walk since golf carts have motors?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 7:56 am 

Daryl Eby wrote:
She actually said that knowing how to spell properly should not matter since computers have spell check.

That's depressing as hell. That "teacher" should be busted back to her last job, which was probably rollerskating chili dogs out to Silverados at the Odessa Sonic.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 8:11 am 

Shane_TX wrote:
it's very clear that a battle is happening, and those who choose the 'y' are clearly superior beings!

Absolutely correct! Y's are awesome and clearly indicative of superiority.

As proof, I offer three examples: Daryl Lynn Eby, father or Lydia Alyssa Eby and Zachary Ryan Eby

(I broke the pattern with Joshua Michael Eby. Maybe that's why he tried going to school in 40d weather wearing shorts and a T-shirt.)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 8:12 am 

Mark Brown wrote:
Daryl Eby wrote:
She actually said that knowing how to spell properly should not matter since computers have spell check.

That's depressing as hell. That "teacher" should be busted back to her last job, which was probably rollerskating chili dogs out to Silverados at the Odessa Sonic.

C-A-N-T --- S-T-O-P --- L-A-U-G-H-I-N-G

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 9:47 am 

Kelly Mc wrote:

I think Jimi just got a nickname. Nick-name? Or nick name?

Brushed steel it is.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 10:55 am 

Mark Brown wrote:
... I appreciate it when someone takes the time to point out something that I've written incorrectly, and that's the spirit in which my comments are given, too...

Understood and agreed, Mark. It brings up something that's been bothering me more and more with the passage of years, too. What's prompting the increasingly popular idea that constructive criticism shouldn't be appreciated as such? It seems to me that even more and more of my fellow scientists - who certainly should understand the professional importance of giving and receiving such criticism - are hypersensitive about it nowadays. (And I don't just mean to my criticism ;) , but to criticism from whomever.)

Bryan Hamilton wrote:
Kelly Mc wrote:

I think Jimi just got a nickname. Nick-name? Or nick name?

Brushed steel it is.

That is quite good! But as a nickname I think it would be Brushed Steel (both capitalized). ;)

Gerry

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 11:53 am 

I like inadvertent/keystroke puns/gaffes-- here is my favorite so far this year: Calfirecap wrote:
I'll PM pylon,

L

Now THAT'S funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: jim

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 12:25 pm 

The problem that Crother et al were trying to address is the ridiculous inconsistencies in common names.
I salute their effort and I wish we could have done that.
We need to simply define some rules and follow them. The rules should be logical, consistent and grammatically defensible. But the herp community hasn't been mature enough as a group to accept such change.
We all love our "favorite" common names that we've been using for 10, 20, 30, 40 years. Yet we are the first people to get upset when someone uses another widely used common name like chickensnake or water moccasin!

Why is Hognosed Snake ridiculous but Broad-banded Watersnake isn't?
Shouldn't it be Broadband Watersnake under that logic?

Why does it make sense for a member of the genus Nerodia to be Red-bellied but a member of the genus Storeria can't? Pick a rule, follow it!

I think we need to tip our hats to the American Ornitholigical Union here. They decided on a suite of rules, and they apply them universally across all common names of North American birds. And you know what? People use them and everyone knows what everyone else is talking about.

Pick a rule and follow it:

It it is going to be Rattlesnake, it has to be Milksnake. If it is a Broad-banded Watersnake, it should be a Red-bellied Snake.

If the rules of grammar matter in something as trivial as an internet forum, they should matter in our nomenclature.

And Natalie, a rubber boa is a snake in the family Boidae that is made of natural latex.
A Rubber Boa is Charina bottae.

And in response to Don's questions,

Quote:
Ok, here is something I seem to stumble on. Let's say you are talking about a museum specimen that does not have a proper ID. Would you say "The taxon is unknown" or the "The taxa is unknown"
That's an odd example because you could just say the species or subspecies is unknown, but I run into that problem when putting notes into the forms on NAHERP. "Please enter a taxon for this record" just sounds weird compared to "Please enter a taxa for this record". A person can enter genus, species, or subspecies as an ID, so "taxa" or "taxon" seems more appropriate to use.

Taxon is singular, taxa is plural. Substitute the word name or names in its place to and it becomes clear

You would say "the name is unknown" not "the names is unknown" and "Please enter a name for this record", not "Please enter a names for this record".

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 12:35 pm 

chrish wrote:
I think we need to tip our hats to the American Ornitholigical Union here. They decided on a suite of rules, and they apply them universally across all common names of North American birds. And you know what? People use them and everyone knows what everyone else is talking about.

I wholeheartedly agree, especially as I'm sure that birders were just as cantankerous in arguing about the different possible common names of birds back in the day as herpers still are about herps today. The problem is, the existing herp organizations don't really (yet) have the authority in the herp community that the American Orithologists' Union has in the bird community; of course, the AOU has about a century's headstart on the herp organizations... ;)

Gerry

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 12:50 pm 

:sleep:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 2:23 pm 

chad ks wrote:
Gerry, the fact that I never received a response from you shows that you can't take constructive criticism. Just pointing that out, carry on.

Huh? Trying to work up a new grudge, Chad? Don't you have better things to do?

To set the record straight, in my last communication with you (a PM through this website), I brought up the fact that you had not directly answered the questions I had pointedly asked you in my last post to your ethics thread, and I said I would check the thread occasionally thereafter to see if/when you finally did so. You never did, at least not in the couple of months afterward during which I continued to check. And as I stated in that last PM to you, "I'm not really interested in discussing anything else with you, and certainly not in continuing to contribute to that thread, until that happens." My subsequent lack of communication with you had nothing to do with whatever criticism you or anyone else might have made of me. Rather, it's partly because I've spent little time at this website since, partly because I've had nothing to talk with you about (you not having done your part in that conversation, as I mentioned above) and partly because experience has given me good reason to be wary of you. Your post above to this thread just adds to that experience.

Indeed, despite our rather unpleasant last communications, I nonetheless closed that last PM to you with "...I'll hope for good things for you and yours (if not for your [ethics] thread, which at this point I have a hard time viewing with anything but distrust and distaste)." And I still feel that way, so if you are in fact fostering another grudge, you'll have to do so on your own as I'm not interested.

Gerry

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 2:32 pm 

:roll:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:10 pm 

Well, here we are on the "Boardline"...we're doomed now.... :lol:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:30 pm 
Brian Hubbs wrote:
Made it to 4 pages before it was moved though, that's a good run. Btw, is it boardline or board line?

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:32 pm 

RobK wrote:
Made it to 4 pages before it was moved though, that's a good run. Btw, is it boardline or board line?

Neither. It is Boarded-line.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:41 pm 

PLEASE, guys - use the Latin!

Threadus obscurus

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:44 pm 

Mark Brown wrote:
PLEASE, guys - use the Latin!

Threadus obsoletus

Fixed that for you, Mark.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm 

:lol: :thumb:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 5:26 am 

I do it myself, but when reading, I still hate when I see common names (not based on a proper name) capitalized (except for birds). Just rubs me the wrong way. I guess my biology professors really hammered that in well.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 7:13 am 

Many years ago, on another forum ("not allowed"? or maybe it was king-snake.com), some lady posted a message asking some questions for an article she was writing. Her post was very poorly written, fraught with spelling and grammatical errors; almost comedic in its unreadability. She was (rightly, in my opinion) chastised for it.

Her response (paraphrased) was, "Oh, I didn't realize this forum required such a high standard when just asking a question; you guys are a bunk of jerks" and so on.

I reflected on that retort at length. It got me to thinking--at what level of conversation does one delineate whether to write thoughtfully/respectfully as a courtesy to the intended audience? Her initial email made her look merely stupid; her response made her inconsiderate/condescending to people whom she hoped would help her.

How about putting your best impression out there ALL the time?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 8:20 am 

Hilarious.

I was glad to see this one captured:

Quote:
“We seen three bullfrogs and a garter snake."

Of course, none are as bad as the logic leap it takes people in the region in which I now live to say "irregardless."

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 1:17 pm 

Along those lines, but not really related to herps. I hate it when I see or hear people say they are going to dethaw or unthaw something.

Josh

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 1:29 pm 

I could care less about grammar.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 2:27 pm 

Has anyone mentioned the wandering 'u' of tongue? It may be a monitor forum specialty, but the common spelling has now become 'tounge' in certain circles. Whenever I see that I pronounce it like 'lounge' in my head and wonder what the hell it is. People clearly know there should be a 'u' somewhere and drop it in where it looks good. Maybe one day it will be utonge?

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 2:42 pm 

Bryan Hamilton wrote:
:beer:

Anal-retentive grammarians crack me up! :lol:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:19 pm 

yeah...well, you're just a back-dated chuck... :lol:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:30 pm 
Bryan Hamilton wrote:
Ah, but you could care more, so there's still hope for you.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:40 pm 

Brian Hubbs wrote:
yeah...well, you're just a back-dated chuck... :lol:

A good Moldune with hog rings can take care of yer Wheeler :lol:

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 7:12 pm 

I don't know...I'd rather meet a bahlness. They can be fine, until you piss them off...and they get can-kicky.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 10:45 pm 

RobK wrote:
Brian Hubbs wrote:

Neither. It is bored line. When people get tired of all the [email protected] posted in an off topic post it gets moved to the Bored line.

BTW - when did we start this chicken-poop practice of taking a shot across the bow then deleting the text of our posts? Really? (Better read this now in case I delete it later and just put some emoticon in its place)

Profile WWW 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next