It is currently August 15th, 2018, 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A.C.E. Animal Capture Equipment - BUYER BEWARE!
PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 11:49 am 

I have had my Furhman Stump Ripper snake hook now for at least 20 years or so. I have NEVER had a problem with it and believe me, I have hoisted some pretty heavy AC with it (ie: sidewalk slabs). Two years ago, before going to Costa Rica, I wanted to get one, the longest I could find that would fit diagonally in my suitcase. Furhman offered a 30" or a 36" and I could fit a bit over 32". Being an idiot, I decided to go with A.C.E. Animal Capture Equipment since they offered more shaft sizes and after talking with the owner, was ASSURED he once worked for Furhman and these were every bit as good and sturdy. Well, I arrive in Costa Rica and set out to herp. The very FIRST log I try to turn, P-I-I-I-I-N-G...the friggin' hook snaps, right at the angle! Fortunately I had brought another cheaper collapsible hook with me and was able to find some nice stuff during my stay. A.C.E. apologized up and down upon my return and sent me a new hook. I hadn't really used it since, because at home I use my 44" REAL Stump Ripper and in Florida I have another I leave down there. Flash forward to a week or so ago, in Ecuador with my A.C.E. stick and P-I-I-I-I-N-G, goddamned thing breaks again, right at the angle again!!! Fortunately I again had brought a cheaper back-up and made it through my trip. Upon calling A.C.E. and complaining last week, they said they would "get back to me". Today, after five days of no contact, I speak to them and they basically tell me TOUGH, we aren't going to replace it! "We don't know how you use your hook." Ultimately she just hangs up on me! What the hell kind of quality and service is THAT?! So be forewarned, if you want a REAL, QUALITY stump ripper, get a REAL Stump Ripper. NOTHING else comes close... (I am still fuming...)

Post subject: Re: A.C.E. Animal Capture Equipment - BUYER BEWARE!
PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 11:53 am 

Ummm www.tongs.com I'm just saying. I weigh a cool 250, and I can pull my carcass up the steepest hills with my midwest hook. Furmont is notoriously difficult to get a hold of. I ordered two O'shea hooks online and haven't looked back.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 12:06 pm 

I know this seems pretty obvious, but is the only difference between a stump ripper and a snake hook in the bend? Aside from the hook having a curve for holding a snake is there any other feature between them that makes one more desirable than the other. Maybe someone could post a pro/con list for each, and others can add to it.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 12:19 pm 

Snake hooks are basically for lifting snakes and aren't really strong enough for flipping logs, etc. of any weight. The stump ripper is designed for heavy lifting (or should I say flipping) and doubles as a snake hook. With the stump ripper (and any like it), you basically put the right angle end under the object you wish to flip and PULL up and towards you. None of them are designed as a pry bar and the shaft would bend rather easily if used in that way. As I mentioned, I have literally flipped sidewalk slabs of concrete with my Stump Ripper.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 12:46 pm 

What was the spec of these hooks you got from the ace company, compared to the stump ripper? Was it their version of the stump ripper or a different design? Was the gauge steel of the hook the same? Just curious, that's all.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 1:29 pm 

They were the same design as the stump ripper. The owner told me he used to work for Furhman and that the A.C.E. hooks were identical. Apparently not.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 3:17 pm 

I've never owned a stump ripper, but I have a couple of Furmont hooks that are over 30 years old. I finally replaced the grips. Damn fine tools!

I have a Midwest field hook and, once I cut the shaft down to 42" I like it okay. But it's got a fairly lightweight shaft, and I don't put a lot of faith in it.

I have a couple hooks made by Brett Gardin that are tough as nails! The field hook has a foot that ain't great for manipulating snakes. But it's infreakingdestrucbile, and I recommend it for heavyduty flipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Field-Snake-Hoo ... 4a9e0a5be3

After buying this hook on ebay, I contacted Brett and he built my boa hook and sold it to me privately. rdkill AT gmail dot com

Also, John Zegel is making some fine hooks. jzegel at gmail dot com

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm 

I have to agree re: the unparalleled strength of the original Stump Ripper. I bought the top of the line model in 1982-42 inches, triple strength aluminum shaft, spacecraft-grade titanium hook. I still own it and use it all the time, including plenty of HARD use (pulling myself up near-vertical hillsides, turning chunks of concrete and asphalt, etc.). By all rights it should have failed long ago. But it's stuck with me from Canada to the Caribbean, and everywhere in between. Kudos to Fuhrman. :thumb:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 6:36 pm 

I rarely use my O'shea hook for snakes, I use it as a walking stick, AC lifter, hook for going up hillsides etc. Mine is as tough as a ballbat, and I'm sure I could use it for one. I know people are die hard for the Stump Ripper, but the long time it takes for them to get back to me, put me off. Midwest is accessible and makes a great product. They answer the phone and emails.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 3:16 am 

I'm with Justin. I think the name "stump ripper" is the sole reason for the product's success. I bought a midwest hook over a decade ago. It is just the plain jane regular model, and I use it hard. Walking stick, lifting tool etc. Never had an issue. Midwest's only problem is that most people only buy one thing from them. Maybe they should build in a 5 year breakdown so they get more sales. :)

Dan

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 4:13 am 

Herp Ninja wrote:
I use it hard. Walking stick, lifting tool etc.

I thought you employed herpin' buddies as your lifting tools?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 7:36 pm 

I do not think the Midwest prohooks are as sturdy. I am sure they hold up, but the few I have used felt more flimsy than my stumpripper and ACE models.

I am a huge supporter of ACE. I had a stumpripper (lost it in the field) and replaced it with an ACE field hook in 05. Haven't ever looked back. I have used it heavily for the past 5 years and it is exactly the same as my previous stumpripper. I have friends with similar experiences.

Can't say I know what happened with both your hooks - bummer. All I can say is that I have had the complete opposite experience. I can argue that the only customer service opportunities I have had with Midwest have been even worse. They would never have offered to replace the first hook of yours.

Jason

Profile WWW