It is currently August 17th, 2018, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Man Woman Wild
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm 

So I taped a show call Man Woman Wild on the Discovery channel because in the previews the showed a glimpse of a Western Mud Snake. I figured out the show is another one of those stupid survival shows where the people kill any snake they can get their hands on to "survive". However, i continued to watch it because Muds are one of my favorite snakes and it turns out the guy stumbles upon it while its eating an amphiuma which I thought was pretty awesome to get on film, but of course the guy tells the snake he's sorry and cuts the head off and gets to eat the mud snake and the amphiuma so he can survive. Also there was another episode where he did the same thing to a small croc. Does anyone else get as outraged as I do about these ridiculous survival shows?

Just love these guys..too bad all I got are easterns :?

Post subject: Re: Man Woman Wild
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 9:15 pm 

I was just about to make this post. I got really mad when I saw this because 1. He killed a mud snake 2.he didn't even eat it he just threw it in the water as crayfish bait and 3. He made it seem like snakes are so bad.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 9:53 pm 

fins72 wrote:
Does anyone else get as outraged as I do about these ridiculous survival shows?

No, because I never watch them. They earn their keep by getting more viewers. Do your bit and refuse to be one of them. You know that any show with the words 'man' (or woman or child) and 'wild' in the title is going to be crap, so vote with your remote.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 10:03 pm 

Hate isn't strong enough for me. The people that participate in those shows should be hung by their feet in the woods over night dripping with honey and with a gash in their forehead.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 10:59 pm 

I wonder why Animal Planet goes with such a hypocritical stance some times though. Like it may not have been a protected species where he was, but it was needlessly killed, and unless they put notes at the end of each episode telling me the animals killed were captive bred and planted, it bugs me. In the first episode, he finds a red-footed tortoise in the amazon (a CITES II species) and would have eaten it, but his wife LOVES tortoises and made him find other food instead, but I was waiting for him to kill it so I could write a nastygram to Animal Planet about how an endangered species was killed on tv...

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 7:21 am 

nickj1199 wrote:
I was just about to make this post. I got really mad when I saw this because 1. He killed a mud snake 2.he didn't even eat it he just threw it in the water as crayfish bait and 3. He made it seem like snakes are so bad.

Wow, thats even worse I didn't know that he just used it as crayfish bait I had to shut it off after he killed it.

Crocdoc, your right I'm done with these shows

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 8:51 am 

im done with these shows to. also I realized she was crying when they killed the possum but not ever when they were killing snakes or other herps.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 9:45 am 

Yep, another joke-of-a-show. I just watched Whale Wars for some reason - what a huge waste of resources and conservation dollars. I hope people watch it and realize they are throwing thier money away by supporting that organization.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 9:59 am 

I don't watch AP anymore and I don't watch Discovery very much anymore either because of these shows and the things that they support/don't support.

I have better things to do than watch people on TV killing herps to 'surivive.'

It's one thing if somebody is ACTUALLY lost and actually needs to survive...

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:03 am 

The funny thing is...you don't need a dead mudsnake to find crayfish. I'm quite glad I don't have a T.V.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:50 am 

I turned off cable years ago and I will never have it back. I can rent the shows I am interested in seeing on netflix, as an entire series on DVD, with no commercials and no waiting a week to see it. My advice: Keep the DVD player, but get rid of cable all together. You could also gripe to AP, who knows, if they get enough complains they might modify the show. It's well known that idiots mimic what they see on TV. For example, Bandura did experiments where children were more likely to beat a doll when they had seen a videotape of another child doing so. Also, increased hours watching TV as a child is positively correlated with increased time spent in jail. People often cite "it's for the kids".

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 12:43 pm 

Cool snakes, I saw that show for the first time yesterday. I only watched it for about 5 mins but when I came back it showed that a water moccasin had made a meal out of their mud snake.

Nat Geo and history are my favorite channels!

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 1:35 pm 

I pretty much don't watch TV anymore. It's the same thing for me as for most of you. Too many shows want to be the Croc Hunter, or worse. Wild Recon comes to mind... At any rate, it seems to be a theme in these survival shows that you have to kill a snake and eat it.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 3:55 pm 

the only thing to discover on discovery is that people will watch ANYTHING!! i am a big fan of dirty jobs,but ifn i want education on tv i watch southpark.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 10:08 pm 

I'm with Justinnm, stlouisdude, and others. I don't watch tv....ever (well, maybe a sports game at a friend's house, but that's it). The internet and select DVD's are far more educational and entertaining then the random crap you get out of TV.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 5:38 am 

AndyO'Connor wrote:
I wonder why Animal Planet goes with such a hypocritical stance some times though.

There's no hypocrisy in this. Nor is there any 'stance'. It's a cable network that buys, or funds the creation of, wildlife programs to present so they can make money by getting people to pay for cable subscriptions (and advertising, in some areas). The general public hates snakes, so we can safely say that people aren't turning their TVs off in disgust by the millions. If anything, the reverse may possibly be true as these 'survival' shows seem to be breeding. More viewers means more money, so the networks will be buying and/or funding more of the same style of show. End of story.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 6:12 am 

Quote:
I turned off cable years ago and I will never have it back.

Our approach also, amazing how much more time there is without it.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 11:32 am 

I think I'm going to get rid of internet because of stupid posts like this one.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 7:09 am 

crocdoc wrote:
AndyO'Connor wrote:
I wonder why Animal Planet goes with such a hypocritical stance some times though.

There's no hypocrisy in this. Nor is there any 'stance'. It's a cable network that buys, or funds the creation of, wildlife programs to present so they can make money by getting people to pay for cable subscriptions (and advertising, in some areas). The general public hates snakes, so we can safely say that people aren't turning their TVs off in disgust by the millions. If anything, the reverse may possibly be true as these 'survival' shows seem to be breeding. More viewers means more money, so the networks will be buying and/or funding more of the same style of show. End of story.

I know, I was being sarcastic, I gotta remember to use the smiley... It is just irritating that these shows are popular to the masses, they are almost always filled with things that would lessen your chances of survival. I miss shows like Venom ER, (at least Bush likes snakes and almost always said something about how the person was probably at fault for being bitten) and I'll say it here, I miss Steve Irwin, no matter what his shows were not the same as a lot of the shows that immitate his series. I know many people disagree with me and categorize them all the same, but he was different.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 10:59 am 

I think these survival shows could be really useful if they were done better. I used to enjoy watching les stroud because he gave you a lot of information on survival techniques like building shelters, fires, etc. These shows now are all about the shock value of killing animals. Man vs. Wild made that leap and now I don't watch anymore. That doesn't need to be on TV. Any moron lost in the woods could figure out that he should probably kill an animal that he finds so that he can eat. Teach me something useful that I don't already know.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 11:15 am 

dual survival isn't TOO bad, I learned a couple things without getting off my arse and looking the information up somewhere else, and the two guys are a good balance of personalities, but even that show makes me shake my head from time to time.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:10 pm 

Maybe someone should do a show called 'Man vs TV' with detailed explanations about how to find good programs, to survive in the dense jungle of 'man/woman/child/wild/survival/recon' crap.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 6:45 pm 

I see "the colony" is also making meals from snakes now. At least they ate it.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 10:41 pm 

Glad I missed that. Discovery used to just have shows that were about the lives or conservation of wildlife. Now its mostly about showing people like the croc hunter do dangerous stuff.

There is a youbube video that shows a scene from man vs wild where bear g. is acting like he's in the middle of nowhere in Hawaii, and then it shows someone else at the same spot but the camera pans up so you can see cars and road in the background.

Kevin

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 1:22 am 

Jeff Lemm wrote:
Yep, another joke-of-a-show. I just watched Whale Wars for some reason - what a huge waste of resources and conservation dollars. I hope people watch it and realize they are throwing thier money away by supporting that organization.

It's fun to go to real boating forums where people who make their living on the sea hang out and see what they say about whale wars.

They generally agree with their cause (as do I) but the way they run their ship really brings out strong remarks of condemnation and anger.

The general consensus is that someone is going to die, and it will be a completely needless death because the same goals can be achieved without dis-regarding safety or using a crew that doesn't have a clue how to properly operate a vessel.

A common point brought up is their launching of the small boats. Just a few weeks of training and that process would be fast and flawless even with the Steve Irwin moving at high speeds, but every launch is (according to the sea men) stinks of amateurs who should not be allowed anywhere near a real operation.

The helicopter is another frequent point of frustration for them. They launch it when it isn't going to add any value whatsoever to the operation but will put the pilot and helicopter in jeopardy because landing it while being pursued by the faster boats they just pissed on is never going to be an easy task.

Something needs to be done about the whaling, but Whale Wars is going about it all wrong.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 6:13 am 

it's sad, but I miss Irwin. As sensationalistic as he was at least he was better than ths crap.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 8:46 am 

Did anyone see the "Animal Hoarding" show on Animal Planet last night...?

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 9:40 am 

realy cant he just eat the cattering his crew gives him to eat arfter the filming is done

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 4:15 pm 

ever see that SWAMP PEOPLE????......or SWAMP LOGGERS??????