It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What about an Archival Section?
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 10:37 am 

Scott, et al,

What does everyone think about creating a historical archives section/link where people could post summary posts of "important" FHF posts that were lost. I'm not sure we want to see all the thousands of posts reborn, but if people could summarize/group their posts in a sensible but meaningful way, maybe we could recover some of what was lost. We don't need to reply to them all again, but it would be nice if we had them as a resource.

For example, I have posted at least 3-4 series of posts about trips to the Yucatan. I don't intend to recreate those posts but could put together a retrospective post showing animals and detailing a few places. I would think we could have a separate forum for it or title the posts something like "ARCHIVE - Yucatan Trips 2003-2009".

Or maybe we could have a series of Archived posts from particular oft-visited locales, like "LaRue - 2007" or "SoCal Boardlines - 2008" and everyone could just "reply" adding their photos/info under those post titles. Maybe a series of regional Archives that people can contribute too like Australia, Asia, Africa, etc.

I would love to see some of the great series recovered this way. Kevin M's awesome China series comes to mind.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Last edited by chrish on July 1st, 2012, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Whab about an Archival Section?
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 10:44 am 

I think that's a great idea.

I sure wish we could get back KW's Mother Of All Posts About Salamanders.... :(

-Mike

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 10:52 am 

funny you should mention that Chris, I was wanting to, but was worried about flooding the place with 29 re-hashed posts about China. Granted some ppl probably hadn't seen some of the earlier ones, but still. It would be lot and I wouldn't want to get on ppl's nerves "who is this guy that keeps on posting all this china stuff, one after another...." I think the archive idea is a great one, obviously.

On my bio webpage at Marshall University I have links to all of my various field trips (China, Costa Rica, FL, Out-West) - all of those are dead now and I was trying to think of ways to revive them.

Let me know if an OK occurs and this archive section is designated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Messenger on June 8th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 11:35 am 

You beat me to it, Chris :)

I just logged on with the purpose of making a similar suggestion - not sure about the form but it would be nice to have somewhere to salvage some of what was lost without clogging up the main forum.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 12:46 pm 

Mike Pingleton wrote:

-Mike

This is one of the first posts I thought of when thinking about what was lost. Maybe one day KW will return and repost.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm 

Mike Pingleton wrote:

-Mike

Funny, when I first realized what happened...that post came to my mine! What a shame!

Kevin Messenger wrote:
funny you should mention that Chris, I was wanting to, but was worried about flooding the place with 29 re-hashed posts about China. Granted some ppl probably hadn't seen some of the earlier ones, but still. It would be lot and I wouldn't want to get on ppl's nerves "who is this guy that keeps on posting all this china stuff, one after another...." I think the archive idea is a great one, obviously.

On my bio webpage at Marshall University I have links to all of my various field trips (China, Costa Rica, FL, Out-West) - all of those are dead now and I was trying to think of ways to revive them.

Let me know if an OK occurs and this archive section is designated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, I would re-post them but I'd wait a bit or post one at a time to not just clutter the forum - but I like the Archival section too, as I have several posts saved I was going to re-post at some time soon.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 7:11 pm 

Sorry to do this but....bump.

I wanted to get some more feedback before this post got buried behind hundreds of revisited posts.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 7:15 pm 

chrish wrote:
Or maybe we could have a series of Archived posts from particular oft-visited locales, like "LaRue - 2007" or "SoCal Boardlines - 2008" and everyone could just "reply" adding their photos/info under those post titles. Maybe a series of regional Archives that people can contribute too like Australia, Asia, Africa, etc.

Chris,

I was thinking about contacting Jon Wedow, yourself, and a few others who have frequented panama over the years about a post of this nature where we could each add photos from our own trips. I think it would be a great idea.

Chris

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:03 pm 

I second, third, fourth, or whatever number I am, this idea. The main forum will be much easier to follow if there are themes for reposts, and group them into fewer threads or use a subfolder for them. There was a lot of great content, at least some of which I am sure people will be able to recreate.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:59 pm 

Anybody remember any strings from KWs post?
Maybe it still lives in google cache?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 11:39 pm 

Great idea. I will add to them.

The good old days.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 12:20 am 

Yes, the Classics...oh how we loved them then...BUT, you can enjoy them NOW, over and over...with the new Archives Section from Hasbro Toys. Comes complete with box, glue, instructions. Batteries, pins and KW doll not included. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 2:09 pm 

I think KW meant hear :lol:

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 2:23 pm 

Quote:
I'm not sure we want to see all the thousands of posts reborn

Actually I'd enjoy seeing many of them. I don't really have any problem with people revisiting their old posts, but that's just me...

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 7:47 pm 

I think the reposting will get old within a couple of weeks, likely sooner. An archival section probably wouldn't get too many posts after the initial surge. What's a "whab"? That being said, I think it would be pretty neat to have an international (non-U.S.) forum, so that rarer posts wouldn't be buried so quickly by topics such as "Poll: What's your favorite energy drink while herping?".

Shane

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 2:45 am 

Shane_TX wrote:
I think the reposting will get old within a couple of weeks, likely sooner. An archival section probably wouldn't get too many posts after the initial surge. What's a "whab"? That being said, I think it would be pretty neat to have an international (non-U.S.) forum, so that rarer posts wouldn't be buried so quickly by topics such as "Poll: What's your favorite energy drink while herping?".

Shane

An international forum would be a great idea. Those are always my favorite reports, and we have some great contributors from overseas. It would be a good place to post those trips to Costa Rica everyone seems so fond of taking....

The archive section is a good idea as well

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 7:30 am 

I also think the reposts should be posted/moved to a new section, since they will be bumping the new stuff.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 8:36 am 
Site Admin

The archival section (where people could add old posts they may have saved on their drives) is gaining momentum. I've heard this suggestion many times now, both on the forum and in private email. Anyway, let me think about it.

The main thing is to make sure there is no confusion as to what should be posted in that section. We would want it to be posts that already existed on FHF, and possibly adding current posts (down the road) that hit a popular threshold, to be added to the "vault" or archival section. Hmm. Let me work this one over. I'm VERY interested!

Thanks for the input! Add more of your comments/ideas to this thread. This may happen quickly or it may take a few days, but I think you guys are on to something very neat-o for the community.

scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 8:48 am 

I am surprised at so many people that saved their posts. It never crossed my mind to do so. But how many more are out there that could get reposted? I somewhat agree that an archival section might not serve a lasting function.

Rather, I think "The Forum" needs to be divided up into a few catagories. Right now it is a catch-all for almost everything. With the frequency of new posts being added things get burried quickly. I think International Field Herping, and NA Field Herping posts should be split out on their own.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I've made this a sticky so we can all discuss how this should work. Fire away!

thanks,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 5:14 pm 

I agree with Nate. Having a separate forum for international posts is a great idea. It would make it much easier to see those posts.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 11th, 2010, 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

While I see what you guys mean by having an International Forum, this place is not what it is because of a multi-forum style. Outside of the NAFHA forums, which are for chapter reasons, The Forum and it's funnel of field herpers is what makes this place so special. You can see a post from Greece and a post from Kansas a line or two apart, and it works. Always has, if you think back.

Even on the busiest forum traffic days, it is quite easy to scroll and find what is "new". I've done it myself many times over the years to see how it flows. It may not work for everyone, but I think it is exactly why The Forum is such a special place. I can't think of any other place where it has worked. And even if a post is "buried", that usually only means a few pages down at the most, unless someone is not on the forum for several weeks. And shame on em'! :mrgreen:

I do agree that an "archival" (forum-based) system could work quite well. I'm tossing around some ideas. We'll come up with something soon.

thanks guys,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 4:18 am 

Whilst separating US and international posts would be one way to divide up the main forum, we could have other sections such as ‘ID Help’ or a ‘RFI Section’ – e.g. I’m heading to South Florida; does anyone want to meet up?

We could also have an ‘off-topic – but herp related section’ – e.g. What gun do you carry when out herping? :D

The main forum could then be saved for trip reports and any miscellaneous posts.

Of course these are only suggestions. I loved FHF the way it was. It will be great again no matter what the format is.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 4:39 am 

I agree. You can't build (international) community by pigeon-holing posts into separate sub-forums.

-Mike

scott wrote:
While I see what you guys mean by having an International Forum, this place is not what it is because of a multi-forum style. Outside of the NAFHA forums, which are for chapter reasons, The Forum and it's funnel of field herpers is what makes this place so special. You can see a post from Greece and a post from Kansas a line or two apart, and it works. Always has, if you think back.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 5:01 am 

Scott and Mike - I see your point, and you're right, having them together does make it a special place. But what about separating out all the field herping posts, from all the other misc. posts that mrichardson is talking about?

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 9:03 am 

spinifer wrote:
Scott and Mike - I see your point, and you're right, having them together does make it a special place. But what about separating out all the field herping posts, from all the other misc. posts that mrichardson is talking about?

Actually, the more I think about it, an archival section could kind of serve the same function:

Let everything get posted to The Forum, then as the good field herping posts slide down the board (for the sake of this example, lets say when they get to page 3), the moderator moves them to the archival section. Then all the good posts would be condensed into their own section, making older posts easier to find. I do think the archival section should be made so that new topics cannot be posted there (if possible), but you can continue to post to existing topics.

I dont know, just a thought....

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 9:25 am 

Makes sense to me - skim off the cream on a regular basis, and let the cheesy stuff sink towards the bottom. :thumb:

spinifer wrote:

Actually, the more I think about it, an archival section could kind of serve the same function:

Let everything get posted to The Forum, then as the good field herping posts slide down the board (for the sake of this example, lets say when they get to page 3), the moderator moves them to the archival section. Then all the good posts would be condensed into their own section, making older posts easier to find. I do think the archival section should be made so that new topics cannot be posted there (if possible), but you can continue to post to existing topics.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 12th, 2010, 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Mike Pingleton wrote:
Makes sense to me - skim off the cream on a regular basis, and let the cheesy stuff sink towards the bottom. :thumb:

spinifer wrote:

Yeah, that is the direction I think we are headed. I want to do it in a way, though, that does NOT insinuate that some posts are more "important" than others. To me, they are not, it's just that some are more loaded than others so they could be archived more for those reasons than considering any one "better" than the other. Make sense? I'm just too fair. :) Anyway, I like the way we are headed with this idea. Something will happen soon!

Oh, and yes, it would not be a place to post new stuff. That is basically how the old "Board Line" was set up. I'll bring that as well, once it is warranted. Anyhoot......talk soon. Seems like we are coming out of this disaster even more focused, which is really cool.

scott

thanks,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 13th, 2010, 4:22 am 

First, Kudos again to you guys for all your work and speedy recovery...
2nd
An archive for recaptured old posts and worthy posts is great. I would love to see some of the old ones, if folks can drag them out. Several come to mind.

3rd
Quote:
I want to do it in a way, though, that does NOT insinuate that some posts are more "important" than others.
This may be dancing around the "third rail" if weighted criteria can't be clearly defined as to which posts are worthy.
Good luck and thanks for the Forum.....
Bill

PostPosted: June 13th, 2010, 10:19 pm 

I am all for it. I'd like to see as many old post that were saved as well as some of the really good new posts in an archived section.

Last edited by Taylor Henry on June 14th, 2010, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 10:23 am 
Site Admin

BillMcGighan wrote:
First, Kudos again to you guys for all your work and speedy recovery...
2nd
An archive for recaptured old posts and worthy posts is great. I would love to see some of the old ones, if folks can drag them out. Several come to mind.

3rd
Quote:
I want to do it in a way, though, that does NOT insinuate that some posts are more "important" than others.
This may be dancing around the "third rail" if weighted criteria can't be clearly defined as to which posts are worthy.
Good luck and thanks for the Forum.....
Bill

Good point, I can see how that would be interpreted as third rail. Fair enough!

I think I was trying to say that I honestly DO see all of the posts as important. From the kid who posts, "what is this?" to the advanced post, they are all important to the community. With the kid (or older newbie, etc), we have a chance to greet them at the door of field herping and give solid advice that will save our hobby, environment, and legislation for years to come. With the advanced stuff, well, that is obvious! Amazing contributions, clearly.

So, with that said (here I go again, third rail!), I just don't want to see a line break of something like "best of". Its never been about that on FHF, in my opinion. I think the archival section should be (my opinion, please add your's!) essentially an archive of posts that are.....

A) Epic, meaning enormous in size, lots of pics and storytelling. Not just a ton of pics or just a ton of storytelling.......both. If the work, sweat, heart, and soul are put in to it, then clearly that user is going above and beyond a reg post. Ya know, like mine! I really need to work on my storytelling an photography, so I'm constantly inspired by those who accomplish BOTH.

B) Maybe some posts will not be "epic". But maybe the information/discussion is SO amazing that it should be considered to be archived. Tons of replies, most moving the discussion forward. Not just random "simplistic" replies (a few words, that are just congratulatory, etc) or replies that are just done to simply "add" to the post for the sake of seeing lots of replies, but replies that help advance the discussion.

C) Amazing discoveries, observations, or research discussions (academic, that really create an advanced discussion), then they should be considered as well. For the sake of science, etc.

That is where I am at on this topic as of right now. What do you guys think? We need specifics! Awesome idea, and something like this IS going to happen, help define it. Right now, that is the current set of criteria I see as valuable to "archive".

thanks,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 8:57 am 

Scott, your idea for the archival section is excellent. I cant think of anything else to add. I agree a post that fits into any of those catagories should be archived. The question is when does it get moved there. And how does the board Line fit in, will posts first get moved the board Line and then to the archives?

PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 10:31 am 

Quote:
A) Epic, meaning enormous in size, lots of pics and storytelling. Not just a ton of pics or just a ton of storytelling.......both. If the work, sweat, heart, and soul are put in to it, then clearly that user is going above and beyond a reg post. Ya know, like mine! I really need to work on my storytelling an photography, so I'm constantly inspired by those who accomplish BOTH.

B) Maybe some posts will not be "epic". But maybe the information/discussion is SO amazing that it should be considered to be archived. Tons of replies, most moving the discussion forward. Not just random "simplistic" replies (a few words, that are just congratulatory, etc) or replies that are just done to simply "add" to the post for the sake of seeing lots of replies, but replies that help advance the discussion.

C) Amazing discoveries, observations, or research discussions (academic, that really create an advanced discussion), then they should be considered as well. For the sake of science, etc.

Sounds pretty good. Fundamental guidelines with a touch of the good ol' human opinion.
Having all members vote on which posts to archive would be cumbersome and over subjective.
Dictating which posts archive is probably most manageable by you or a team.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Spinifer....

The Board Line will continue to be what it was before, an "extended discussion forum", meaning threads that go a bit haywire (but still pretty much on topic) and things that may need to be on FHF, but not the main forum. It sounds really subjective, and it is. I feel I've managed that (board line movements) fair and consistent, and will continue to do so.

Bill....

Thanks much. As always, your input is appreciated! I'm getting this mag off the ground and will then look into an official implementation of an "archive" style system.

thanks guys,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 7:16 pm 

So why didn't this ever happen?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 10:00 am 

Because YOU didn't do it. It's all YOUR fault...go to your room now and listen to Lawrence Welk...

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 1:01 pm 

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 9:26 pm 

Was this post helpful to you?

Yes
No
I can't remember

PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Ross Padilla wrote:
So why didn't this ever happen?

Redundancies are in place to secure ALL fhf data, and have been since the restart in June. The June 2010 disaster will NOT happen again.

thanks,
scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 9:48 am 

Redundancies cost money... Only a small percentage of people want to pay for redundancy, yet those same business like to talk about HOW IMPORTANT their data or access is.. :roll:

Props to Scott for taking these extra measures.. :thumb:

Fundad

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 9:26 pm 

Redundancies cost money... Only a small percentage of people want to pay for redundancy, yet those same business like to talk about HOW IMPORTANT their data or access is.. :roll:

Props to Scott for taking these extra measures.. :thumb:

FunkyRes

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 8:02 pm 

I would like to see "WHAB" changed to "WHAT"...
:)
:Mark

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 1:14 pm 

It would have been nice to have seen this happen but I guess there was not enough interest in it.

Profile WWW