Black Mamba in Minnesota!

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TeeJay

Black Mamba in Minnesota!

Post by TeeJay » August 19th, 2010, 8:53 am

...or was it a deadly Water Moccasin? or maybe a Black Racer?? (Or a fan belt, piece of garden hose, portion of shredded truck tire???) I'm sure they'll get it identified some day.

Just found this on "not allowed":

http://ksax.com/article/stories/S168374 ... ?cat=10230

(Its embarassing)

justinm

Re: Black Mamba in Minnesota!

Post by justinm » August 19th, 2010, 9:39 am

How can you be a DNR officer and not know what that snake is? It's a Black Rat for certain. If I was a wildlife officer I would hope my supervisor would expect me to be able to ID native, and protected wildlife.

Paul White

Post by Paul White » August 19th, 2010, 10:08 am

yeah >.> There was one from springfield MA where they ID'd a bullsnake as an anaconda :roll:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » August 19th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Nice!

Justin- Black ratsnakes are rare (but not protected) in MN (and live nowhere near that county), most DNR biologist in MN specialize in large game (deer/bear/moose) and waterfowl. While this isn't an excuse, it is common in a LOT of wildlife professionals in this area.

Thanks for sharing this TeeJay!
-Chris

gbin

Post by gbin » August 19th, 2010, 3:00 pm

I'm ordinarily proud to be from MN, but not always... :oops: Poor snake! I'd hiss and spit, too, if somebody was stabbing at me with an ice pick!

If the DNR was unwilling to actually ID the snake for these hysterical people, I wonder why they didn't at least recommend contacting the MN Herpetological Society.

Gerry

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » August 19th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Gerry- Usually the DNR refers people to the MHS when they do not want to deal with a reptile/amphibian issue. I am on the MHS board of directors and did not see this come in via e-mail/phone. The MN DNR herpetologists did properly ID the snake, but news jumped the gun (as usual).

-Chris

Nigel Smith

Post by Nigel Smith » August 19th, 2010, 4:20 pm

"The DNR also said that there has never been a documented natural rat snake in Stearns County. This means if the snake was natural, it would be the first of it's kind in that area."

:o ouch!

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla » August 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm

It doesn't surprise me but it is ridiculous and funny it actually made the news.

troy hibbitts

Post by troy hibbitts » August 19th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Chris Smith wrote:Nice!

most DNR biologist in MN specialize in large game (deer/bear/moose) and waterfowl. While this isn't an excuse, it is common in a LOT of wildlife professionals in this area.
Its common for most Wildlife LE officers and a significant percentage of the biologists in most states . . . so long as hunting licenses pay the bills, anyway.

Troy

JakeScott

Post by JakeScott » August 19th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Ross...THIS made the news? They didn't try and fact check it before they aired it? Any novice reptile interested individual could ID that. My 10 year old nephew knows what that is. But, that wouldn't be news, now would it?

-Jake Scott

Jason_Hood

Post by Jason_Hood » August 19th, 2010, 7:03 pm

This reminds me of a story here in Chicago where a postal worker saw a snake, got a cell phone pic, and then declared it a massasagua. Never mind that it was outside of the historic range and in the wrong habitat and that it was identified as a fox snake by local USF&W, the headline

"Feds can't agree on snake ID"

HAHA Apparently the postal service is just as qualified to identify wildlife as the US Fish and Wildlife. hahaha

Jason

b_rickard

Post by b_rickard » August 19th, 2010, 9:08 pm

that is definitely a black mamba! Since that was found in MN I will need to reapply for a job with the local DNR since they clearly cannot give a definite ID. I just know that there are more of them around. I will be needed to save the populace of MN from the worlds deadliest snake!!

BOOGY

Post by BOOGY » August 20th, 2010, 7:29 am

not even a dead mamba...

FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes » August 20th, 2010, 2:51 pm

b_rickard wrote:that is definitely a black mamba! Since that was found in MN I will need to reapply for a job with the local DNR since they clearly cannot give a definite ID. I just know that there are more of them around. I will be needed to save the populace of MN from the worlds deadliest snake!!
yeah, especially before the pythons get there.

When the black mambas start mating with the pythons, MN is going to have one hell of a problem.

fpc40

Post by fpc40 » August 20th, 2010, 3:31 pm

FunkyRes wrote:
b_rickard wrote:that is definitely a black mamba! Since that was found in MN I will need to reapply for a job with the local DNR since they clearly cannot give a definite ID. I just know that there are more of them around. I will be needed to save the populace of MN from the worlds deadliest snake!!
yeah, especially before the pythons get there.

When the black mambas start mating with the pythons, MN is going to have one hell of a problem.
there is just no way that MN could survive the burmese mambas.

BOOGY

Post by BOOGY » August 30th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Ha ha just imagine venomous constrictors. Yikes.

Brairpatch

Post by Brairpatch » August 30th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Its gotta be a black mamba :shock: , black rats have never been documented in that county...well till now I guess. Too bad.

Justin, youd be surprised what most Game Wardens, Wildlife Officers dont know.

Greg