It is currently January 18th, 2017, 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Federal Lab Forced To Close After ‘Disturbing’ Data Manipula
PostPosted: June 25th, 2016, 4:20 pm 

Federal Lab Forced To Close After ‘Disturbing’ Data Manipulation

Nearly two decades and $108 million worth of “disturbing” data manipulation with “serious and far ranging” effects forced a federal lab to close, a congressman revealed Thursday.

The inorganic section of the U.S. Geological Survey’s (USGS) Energy Geochemistry Laboratory in Lakewood, Colo. manipulated data on a variety of topics – including many related to the environment – from 1996 to 2014. The manipulation was caught in 2008, but continued another six years.

“It’s astounding that we spend $108 million on manipulated research and then the far-reaching effects that that would have,” Rep. Bruce Westerman said at a House Natural Resources subcommittee hearing. “We know how research multiples and affects different parts of our society and our economy and … if you’re working off of flawed data it definitely could be in a bad way.”

“The problems were so severe, in fact, that the USGS has already closed the inorganic lab in question permanently,” the Arkansas Republican said. The lab was terminated in January.

Westerman cited a recent Department of the Interior Inspector General (IG) report that said impacts from the data manipulation “are not yet known but, nevertheless, they will be serious and far ranging. The affected projects represented about $108 million in taxpayer funding from fiscal year 2008 through 2014.”

Westerman also highlighted an interview the IG withheld from its report.

“Tell me what you want and I will get it for you. What we do is like magic,” a former USGS official told auditors a former employee linked to the manipulation would say, according to Westerman.

Westerman added that the IG’s interview notes make the context of those quotes unclear.

“Given the lab’s history and that problems had already been identified when this interview was being conducted, such a statement seems potentially significant,” Westerman told Deputy IG Mary Kendall, a witness for the hearing.

“Your office explained that you do not know the context or veracity of this statement and that this issue was not part of the audit,” Westerman told Kendall. (RELATE: Interior Watchdog ‘Politicized’ Investigations, Enviro Nonprofit Claims)

Regardless, other scientists became aware and requested that lab work be taken elsewhere.

“USGS has advised committee staff that because scientists had already begun to distrust this lab so significantly that they began relying upon analysis from other labs,” Westerman said.

It’s unclear what effects the manipulated data will have, though Westerman – who touted his engineering background – noted the importance of research integrity.

“I’m not even sure what the scientific result were used in,” he said. “A lot of the work that people do that’s based on scientific research is so important and if the base research is flawed, then that affects the work that goes out from there.”

The research topics that faced data manipulation – including uranium in the environment, health effects of energy resources, and U.S. coal resources and reserves – was “disturbing,” Westerman said.

Some research papers that used the data had to be recalled, Kendall told the panel, but she was unsure of the extent other studies, such as college dissertations, were affected. She also noted that USG was taking steps to determine such effects.

Nuff said, Ernie Eison

Post subject: Re: Federal Lab Forced To Close After ‘Disturbing’ Data Mani
PostPosted: June 25th, 2016, 6:27 pm 

A source would be nice, but a Google search revealed it came from The Daily Caller, which is certainly not the most reputable of sources. Not sure what you are trying to show here - that the government is corrupt and scientists are liars?

Read the Inspector General report from the US Department of the Interior for a better understanding of the situation:

https://www.doioig.gov/sites/doioig.gov ... Public.pdf

One or two mass spectrometer operators were guilty of the data manipulation over the course of six years, which has caused the Inorganic Lab (one part of the USGS Lakewood facility) to be closed. Government conspiracy? I don't think so.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2016, 7:54 pm 

Quote:
A source would be nice, but a Google search revealed it came from The Daily Caller, which is certainly not the most reputable of sources. Not sure what you are trying to show here - that the government is corrupt and scientists are liars?

The source ? Read the link you posted. Everything in my post was accurate to the report.

Quote:
As part of the inquiry, USGS convened a Scientific Integrity Review Panel to further investigate the matter. The report of inquiry concluded that the laboratory had a “chronic pattern of scientific misconduct” and that “data produced by the Inorganic Section were intentionally manipulated by the line-chemist in charge.

The results of USGS’ internal inquiry are consistent with our own findings. Office of the Inspector General

That should read in an attempt to cover their ass the USGS ...blah blah blah. This wasn't one or two people, there were many people involved.

Quote:
In our interviews, USGS employees consistently voiced their distrust of the lab. The employees also expressed their preference not to use the inorganic laboratory and, instead, to use other USGS laboratories or outside commercial laboratories.

A lot of people knew about the crap that was going on. But the people that pull the strings (the ones that count) at the USGS didn't do anything to stop it. The USGS was pulling in a lot of money with dirty science. With a lot of potential for future cash flow. They would have kept it going forever if they could have. This isn't an isolated incident its a method of business.

If it needs to be explained, your to dumb to understand it. They shut the place down because they got caught. Now its damage control time.

This is a perfect example of what I've stated many times concerning what takes place in the sanctimonious (cough ) world of science. The dishonesty in the push for funding, career building.

In the field of invasive biology, its at a full boil. With the USGS spearheading the issue. When it comes to a “chronic pattern of scientific misconduct" and intentionally manipulated data. They lead the pack. The difference is they can hide behind the ambiguous nature that is the pseudo science of biology. They get away with it. There isn't the push back. Even when completely dissected the blatant lies, intentionally manipulated data etc. found in the work of invasive biologist go's ignored or worse yet, Its defended by the people who seemingly are trying to champion the world of scientific integrity. This speaks very poorly of them on many levels.

Ernie Eison

PostPosted: June 26th, 2016, 4:27 pm 

You are using your biases to draw your own conclusions. It's almost as if you are arguing that because some scientists used unethical methods in their research, then all scientists must be suspect.

Inspector General offices are very thorough. I know because I've worked in one before. They have no vested interest in the organizations subjected to their oversight. In other words, the future of the Inorganic Lab at the Lakewood facility is irrelevant to the Department of the Interior Inspector General.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2016, 3:14 pm 

Quote:
You are using your biases to draw your own conclusions. It's almost as if you are arguing that because some scientists used unethical methods in their research, then all scientists must be suspect.

Inspector General offices are very thorough

Information gathered by Inspector General offices was withheld from the report.

Quote:
“Tell me what you want and I will get it for you. What we do is like magic,” a former USGS official told auditors"

That's how science in 2016 works.

" USGS is pursuing disciplinary actions for the responsible staff. "

What about disciplinary actions against the USGS ? How about federal law enforcement. The affected projects represented about $108 million in taxpayer funding from fiscal year 2008 through 2014. $108 million in taxpayer funding and what a couple peons might get in trouble. Nobody's going to look at anything else going on at the USGS?

No, its not bias. Its knowledge. I know what I'm talking about. A lot of people who worked at the USGS knew what was going on and wanted no part of it. Their complaints fell on deaf ears. You don't need everybody on board, just the key people. The USGS like all scientific organizations wants to generate as much funding as possible. End of story.

Does anyone think that these well paid scientist were cooking the books for fun ? You can not pull this type of crap off alone. Not for as long as this went on and that much money. That lab was small and the people that worked there cherry picked.The ones that were willing to play ball got the perks. Its how they get the jobs in the first place. It has a trickle down effect. Other scientist both internal and who work outside the department that are willing to play are recruited. And in return they get the career push they need. The ones that don't go along get left behind or are pushed out. This happens in many work environments not just in science. The big difference is scientist are dependent on other peoples money. They need to come up with reasons in a highly competitive market to convince people to give them that money. This without having a product or in many cases a usable service to offer in return. In biology you need problems. The bigger you make them sound the better, nobody is going to keep giving you money if you tell them everything is fine.

When you have scientists consistently putting out blatant junk science, promoting this bogus work to the media. Like what has been seen in the world of invasive biology in recent years. Scientists whos careers are built on needing to convince other people to give them money for meaningless projects under the pretense that the problem is already causing great damage, a problem that needs to be studied, monitored, that with enough money they can find a way to stop or control it. A problem that if these scientists don't get the money they need the long term effects will be devastating. These scientists are not suspect. They are guilty. The USGS is at the heart of this scam. And others are cheerfully playing along.

How about those Nile crocs in Florida. Their taking over everything. Their killing the unicorns, skunk apes, centaurs. I haven't seen a single Phoenix.

Ernie Eison

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 4:09 pm 

I feel personally betrayed by the report. This lab was kind of held up as the gold standard of labs. I've taken classwork on mass spectrometry and the quality assurance quality control portion was taught by some of these same USGS staff....

WSTREPS wrote:
Quote:
“Tell me what you want and I will get it for you. What we do is like magic,” a former USGS official told auditors"

That's how science in 2016 works.

This is just not true. Most scientists work extremely hard to remain objective and unbiased. This is not an easy task but its critical to the field. Its unfortunate that people like Ernie try take a relatively small problem and besmirch not just an entire organization like USGS but all of science.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 5:16 pm 

Bryan, I think you're right, it's not like all scientists are without ethics. Such as the case in any activity, those without ethics though generate a lot of attention. This is similar to how most field herpers are legitimately interested in reptiles but you'll have a few glory hounds who don't care what condition they leave the snakes and habitat in as long as they get their photo and 15 second of glory.

I would say there are a lot of scientists who speak outside of their expertise, sometimes quite arrogantly so, but then again all people do that (myself included), I suppose it just smells worse coming from someone who should know better.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 6:17 pm 

Quote:
I feel personally betrayed by the report. This lab was kind of held up as the gold standard of labs. I've taken classwork on mass spectrometry and the quality assurance quality control portion was taught by some of these same USGS staff....

This how it easy it is to pull off. According to Bryan Hamilton. He was taught by some of these same USGS staff and this lab was held up as the gold standard of labs. The cat was already out of the bag for a long time and a lot of people at the USGS knew about it. But the lab still went on "Gold standard reputation " intact , cheerfully defrauding everyone. What went on at this lab go's on at a lot of other places. Its like taking candy from a baby. A stupid baby.

Quote:

Yes it is true. Gordon Rodda before becoming the head of the USGS invasive species cash cow. Wrote a paper (previously posted here) describing the methods used by biologist to bend data. Rodda along with Bryan Hamilton's friend Bob Reed ( now the head of the USGS invasive species cash cow ) were at the forefront of the greatest reptilian junk science barrage in history. Their junk science was debunked and chastised by scientist and public alike but still accepted as the "Gold Standard" of invasive research. Gold being the operative word.

Quote:
This is just not true. Most scientists work extremely hard to remain objective and unbiased. This is not an easy task but its critical to the field. Its unfortunate that people like Ernie try take a relatively small problem and besmirch not just an entire organization like USGS but all of science.

Bryan Hamilton's statement is what's not true. Its someone trying to make me look bad when their out of straws to grasp at. Poor form on his part. Read what I said. Bryan Hamilton's quoted comment is foolishly out of context to what I actually said.

I have no idea what most scientists do and nether does Bryan or anyone else. If only a small percentage are up to no good that still equals thousands. The field of science very competitive it relies on funding and the ones that get the choice spots are the ones that play the game. Its business 101. Simple as that. You wont see the work of most scientist blasted on the front page of USA TODAY or getting multiple press release's to every major news outlet the way the work of Bob Reed and his invasive cohorts does. These scientist get this push because they are willing to do the "magic". as it was so perfectly stated by a USGS official. That magic brings home the bacon and there is no chance anyone is going to be held accountable for any wrong doing no matter how egregious. Sad but very true.

Ernie Eison

Last edited by WSTREPS on June 30th, 2016, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 10:56 pm 

stlouisdude Thanks for some honest dialogue. Its refreshing and I appreciate it.

WSTREPS wrote:
Bryan Hamilton's statement is what's not true. Its someone trying to make me look bad when their out of straws to grasp at.

I'm not really trying very hard.

WSTREPS wrote:
I have no idea what most scientists do

Says the guy that is trying to convince the world that all scientists are money grubbing magicians. You're all right Ernie. Hope you get some bacon soon. BTW can I borrow a few straws? I ran out.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 2:55 am 

Quote:
I have no idea what most scientists do and nether does Bryan or anyone else. If only a small percentage are up to no good that still equals thousands. The field of science very competitive it relies on funding and the ones that get the choice spots are the ones that play the game. Its business 101. Simple as that.

You wont see the work of most scientist blasted on the front page of USA TODAY or getting multiple press release's to every major news outlet the way the work of Bob Reed and his invasive cohorts does.

[u]These scientist get this push because they are willing to do the "magic". as it was so perfectly stated by a USGS official.
That magic brings home the bacon and there is no chance anyone is going to be held accountable for any wrong doing no matter how egregious. Sad but very true.
Ernie Eison

Says the guy that is trying to convince the world that all scientists are money grubbing magicians. You're all right Ernie. Hope you get some bacon soon. BTW can I borrow a few straws? I ran out. Bryan Hamilton

Compare my actual statement to Bryan Hamilton's to interpretation .

How can anyone possibly make a truthful statement that I am ..."Trying to convince the world that all scientists are money grubbing magicians." as Bryan Hamilton claims. Yes Bryan, you are out of straws and apparently everything else.

Ernie Eison