Calling the Biologists, What could have made this happen?

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

scott s

Calling the Biologists, What could have made this happen?

Post by scott s » January 2nd, 2011, 7:23 pm

From CNN

Arkansas game officials probe mystery of falling birds

Arkansas game officials hope testing scheduled to begin Monday will solve the mystery of why up to 5,000 blackbirds fell from the sky just before midnight New Year's Eve.
The birds -- most of which were dead -- were found within a one-mile area of Beebe, about 40 miles northeast of Little Rock, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said. The blackbirds fell over about a one-mile area, the commission said in a statement.
As of Saturday, between 4,000 and 5,000 blackbirds had been found dead, said Keith Stephens with the commission.
"Shortly after I arrived, there were still birds falling from the sky," said commission wildlife officer Robby King in the statement. He said he collected about 65 dead birds.
The commission said it flew over the area to gauge the scope of the event, and no birds were found outside of the initial one-mile area.
Karen Rowe, an ornithologist for the commission, said the incident is not that unusual and is often caused by a lightning strike or high-altitude hail.
A strong storm system moved through the state earlier in the day Friday.
Officials also speculated that fireworks shot by New Year's revelers in the area might have caused severe stress in the birds. Rowe said Sunday there was evidence that large fireworks may have played a role.
Biologists believe the deaths were stress-related from either fireworks or weather, Stephens said.
"Since it only involved a flock of blackbirds and only involved them falling out of the sky, it is unlikely they were poisoned, but a necropsy is the only way to determine if the birds died from trauma or toxin," Rowe said.
The dead birds will be sent for testing to labs at the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission and the National Wildlife Health Center in Wisconsin.
The necropsies will begin Monday, Stephens said, and the findings should be available sometime this week.
The city of Beebe has hired U.S. Environmental Services to begin the cleanup and dispose of the dead birds, the commission said. The firm's workers will go door-to-door and pick up birds still in yards and on rooftops.

walk-about

Re: Calling the Biologists, What could have made this happe

Post by walk-about » January 2nd, 2011, 7:35 pm

Sounds like a lot of kids got BB guns for Christmas....

RocK ON!

FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes » January 2nd, 2011, 7:36 pm

Weird.

Kind of reminds me of the biblical account with quail.

Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother » January 2nd, 2011, 7:39 pm

Might as well throw this one out too:

CNN) -- Arkansas officials are investigating the death of an estimated 100,000 fish in the state's northwest, but suspect disease was to blame, a state spokesman said Sunday.
Dead drum fish floated in the water and lined the banks of a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River near Ozark, about 125 miles northwest of Little Rock, said Keith Stephens of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. A tugboat operator discovered the fish kill Thursday night, and fisheries officials collected some of the dying animals to conduct tests.
Stephens said fish kills occur every year, but the size of the latest one is unusual, and suggested some sort of disease was to blame.
"The fish kill only affected one species of fish," he said. "If it was from a pollutant, it would have affected all of the fish, not just drum fish."

The fish were all Drum...

Funny too, the black helicopters have stopped flying around my house as well. Someone call Jesse Ventura.

scott s

Post by scott s » January 2nd, 2011, 7:58 pm

I wonder if any herps or humans were affected?

Maybe it was too cold for any herps to be active.

Maybe some sort of electromagnetic waves affected the birds?

Gyri

Post by Gyri » January 2nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

Interesting. I watched the CNN video on this literally a minute before seeing this thread. The birds are being tested on Monday, I do not want to speculate too much about what could have caused the deaths until then. I would doubt disease, sudden localized deaths mid-air don't fit the profile. Someone spun the idea of high altitude hail which could do it if the birds were migrating in large numbers through the area. I'm planning on checking back in on this story as preliminary test results come in.

gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 » January 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm

As a teen, I remember fishing on the shore of Lake Ontario with friends when a fisherman in a small boat came flying up to shore and began unloading between 50-100 dead, dying, and completely disoriented wild turkeys. He had been fishing about a half mile out when suddenly the birds began dropping from the sky. It's a much smaller scale event than the one being discussed, but I believe this case was attributed to the animals being poisoned (never heard if they thought it was intentional or not). The fireworks or weather makes more sense in this case, but I just figured i'd throw the story out there.

Chris

lashinala2

Post by lashinala2 » January 3rd, 2011, 6:23 am

Did they mention if the birds were ALL redwing blackbirds, or were other species involved?

dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx » January 3rd, 2011, 6:56 am

Pretty strange that both incidents were in Arkansas.. :shock:

robbielab

Post by robbielab » January 3rd, 2011, 7:21 am

A similar story from the UK (a few miles from my house), when 70+ starlings dropped suddenly out of the sky...

BBC News - "The mystery of why 76 starlings crashed to their deaths on a Somerset driveway last month may have been solved.
An inquiry has found the flock could have been trying to escape a predator such as a sparrow hawk or become confused by traffic, light or noise.
The probe, led by the Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA), also found shingle on the driveway in Coxley was a similar colour to reed beds.
The birds could have thought they were descending into tall reeds.
The VLA and Natural England carried out an investigation after dead and dying birds were found strewn across a garden on 7 March.
RSPCA animal welfare officer Alison Sparkes, who was called by police, said: "It was a remarkable sight, I've never seen anything like it.
"Onlookers said they heard a whooshing sound and then the birds just hit the ground."
The weather conditions were good at the time.
Investigations on 60 birds found they were in good condition with no broken wings, skulls or legs.
A number, however, had damaged beaks and blood in their mouths.
VLA veterinary investigation officer Alex Barlow said: "The clinical history along with the post-mortem findings would indicate that this incident was due to a fatal error in flight by the flock. But we can only guess the cause of this error.
"It is possible the birds were trying to avoid a predator such as a sparrow hawk or they were distracted by traffic, light reflections or noise.
"It is also interesting to note that the shingle on the drive is a similar colour to that of reed beds so they may have been descending quickly into what they might have seen as tall reeds."

Strange!

VanAR

Post by VanAR » January 3rd, 2011, 7:39 am

Did they mention if the birds were ALL redwing blackbirds, or were other species involved?
I heard there were starlings mixed in the flock as well- those two species often flock together.

I really wonder about the fireworks idea. If that were the case, why don't we see similar events elsewhere in the country, in different years, or at the 4th of July?

Van

lashinala2

Post by lashinala2 » January 3rd, 2011, 8:10 am

I've seen something similar to this when someone had large spotlights that they kept on a tower at night, with the circling birds dying from exhaustion during foggy weather, but that was not the same as fireworks. Maybe they suffered the same fate as chairman Mao's birds in China.....death by exhaustion.

Crimson King

Post by Crimson King » January 3rd, 2011, 9:08 am

..they can't handle their berries....drunk....
:Mark

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes » January 3rd, 2011, 9:39 am

UFO/Aliens. All the other suggestions Fire works, Lighting strike, hail, etc. are just cover ups by the government. :idea:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » January 3rd, 2011, 9:47 am

I am with Gyri.... before I speculate too much ( :lol: ) I would like to see some preliminary data. In the past, people have suspected electro-magnetic anomalies (since most birds use the earths magnetic field to navigate).

Cheers,
Chris

chad ks

Post by chad ks » January 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am

Chris Smith wrote:I am with Gyri.... before I speculate too much ( :lol: ) I would like to see some preliminary data. In the past, people have suspected electro-magnetic anomalies (since most birds use the earths magnetic field to navigate).

Cheers,
Chris
Oh c'mon, speculate. You know you wanna... :mrgreen:

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » January 3rd, 2011, 12:30 pm

2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...2012 is coming...
Be afraid, be VERY afraid...and buy my books while you still can... :shock:

http://www.mountainkingsnake.com

jdustin

Post by jdustin » January 3rd, 2011, 12:41 pm

I'm imagining something like this, from ABC's flashforward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um92SQEHGwk

reptilist

Post by reptilist » January 3rd, 2011, 1:02 pm

2012?
Don't you mean 2011?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_ ... lypse_soon

Very interesting case.... the birds and the fish. I have also read that it was as many as 5000 birds who fell from the sky! WTF? I got my money on a toxic gas emmission.

Crimson King

Post by Crimson King » January 3rd, 2011, 1:18 pm

I got my money on a toxic gas emmission
...but Pelosi was nowhere near AR......

monklet

Post by monklet » January 3rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

reptilist wrote:I got my money on a toxic gas emmission.
I was no where near the area but I'll put my money in the same place. As for high elevation migrating Red-wings, I wouldn't rule it out BUT, most songbirds are fairly sendentary by the time winter settles in.

scott s

Post by scott s » January 3rd, 2011, 4:26 pm

First Birds Fall, Now 100,000 Fish Dead in Arkansas
Jan 3, 2011 – 11:13 AM
Text Size
Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream
Mara Gay

Mara Gay Contributor
Thousands of dead fish have turned up in an Arkansas river just days after 3,000 birds mysteriously dropped dead from the sky, but authorities say the deaths are not related.

An estimated 100,000 dead drum fish are floating along a 20-mile stretch of the Arkansas River and washing up on the river's banks near the town of Ozark in the northwestern part of the state.

The dead fish were discovered just after 3,000 red-wing blackbirds fell from the sky in the town of Beebe, more than 100 miles from the site of the dead fish. Officials, who tripled the early estimates of the number of dead birds, said the bird deaths may have been caused by lightning or by stress from fireworks and said they were unrelated to the fish kill.

Fish kills happen every year, but kills of this size are relatively rare. Hundreds more drum fish are sick and have been sent to the University of Arkansas for testing.

Andrew Goodwin, the associate director of the University of Arkansas' Aquaculture and Fisheries Center, said he didn't believe the deaths were caused by pollutants. "It's unlikely to be a toxin," Goodwin told AOL News by phone today.

Instead, Goodwin said he suspected that the drum fish may have experienced a population boom this summer that created more competition for food and sapped the weaker ones of their ability to fight off disease.

"It's your classic boom and bust," he said. "A group of fish will go into a population boom, and then they're competing for food, so they may not be in really good condition. Then during a cold snap the environment changes with the temperature, and their immune systems are compromised and can't always fight infection."

Sponsored Links
Goodwin said the area of the Arkansas River where the dead fish were found is not known to be particularly contaminated. He said it would take a few weeks for researchers to determine exactly what killed the fish.

Authorities said only drum fish seem to have been affected, making it even more unlikely that a pollutant is to blame.

"The fish kill only affected one species of fish," Keith Stephens of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission told CNN. "If it was from a pollutant, it would have affected all of the fish, not just drum fish."

The commission did not immediately respond to a request for comment this morning. Authorities are warning residents near the river to not eat the dead fish.
Filed under: Nation

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 3rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

Stop feeding the conspiracy theory doomsday trolls. There are other Forums out there for this.

scott s

Post by scott s » January 3rd, 2011, 4:46 pm

Dude,

One hundred thousand fish and thousands of birds suddenly died for apparently no reason.

Inquiring minds would like to know how something like this could happen.

Ames

Post by Ames » January 3rd, 2011, 5:04 pm

I heard in an embedded video report, along side the written one, from abc news,
http://abcnews.go.com/US/killed-thousan ... d=12529390
that the birds were poisoned by the USDA. They were becoming a health hazard to surrounding area livestock farms.

From what I've read and heard about the fish situation, it could be either disease or shock from extreme temperature fluctuation.

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave » January 3rd, 2011, 5:32 pm

Was this anywhere near the tornados that hit NW Arkansas? Or is it too great a time line between events?

Just a thought......

Dave Weber

Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother » January 3rd, 2011, 7:02 pm

nope...many miles between all 3 events. Apparently the bird thing happened at like 0400 in the morning...the fish were noticed a day before i think.

JakeScott

Post by JakeScott » January 3rd, 2011, 7:44 pm

Chemtrails!! I'm catching the next comet out of here!

VanAR

Post by VanAR » January 3rd, 2011, 9:34 pm

The species specificity in both events suggests that it wasn't a mass/gassed chemical poisoning event as suggested by some conspiracy theorists. Chemical poisoning is not often that specific within classes of organisms, let alone individual species. The physiological mechanisms of life are just too conserved.

Russ_Jones

Post by Russ_Jones » January 3rd, 2011, 9:54 pm

I'm thinking someone poisoned the birds, I've seen a few dozen pigeons drop around the same general area from poisoned corn...'sound plausible to me,'especially since the species involved are highly gregarious.

I don't remember the name of the poison now, but ll post it when it hits me.

Russ

Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn » January 3rd, 2011, 10:06 pm

Crimson King wrote:
I got my money on a toxic gas emmission
...but Pelosi was nowhere near AR......

But maybe Cheney was hunting again? :P

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » January 4th, 2011, 1:15 am

The end is nigh. Haven't you heard?

scott s

Post by scott s » January 4th, 2011, 7:45 am

http://www.infowars.com/is-mass-bird-an ... t-testing/
Is Mass Bird and Fish Die Off Connected to Government Testing?
1977 Senate Hearing found that U.S. government had infected hundreds of cities with biological agents
Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones

Prison Planet.com
Monday, January 3, 2011

A mass die off of birds and fish in Arkansas which prompted a response by U.S. Environmental Services has residents asking questions about the cause – could secret government testing be responsible for the carnage?
Around 2,000 red-winged blackbirds, as well as ducks, fell to their deaths over a 1-mile area of Beebe, Arkansas on Friday night. U.S. Environmental Services workers wore hazmat suits and gas masks as they picked up the dead birds on Sunday.
An area used by the birds to roost was unaffected, leading officials to conclude that the birds could not have died from an illness or have been targeted for poisoning. Lightning, fireworks and high-altitude hail have been forwarded as possible culprits.
“I’ve been to Iraq and back and not seen nothing like this,” Beebe resident Jeff Drennan told local Fox16 News on Sunday.
“You know my kids are out here playing and you don’t know, is it safe?” he added. “They’re walking around with chemical suits picking them up with gas masks and everything.”
In a related story, 100,000 fish were found dead in Northwest Arkansas. “They were found along a 20-mile stretch between the Ozark Dam and Highway 109 Bridge in Franklin County,” reports Today’s THV 11.

Electromagnetic scalar weapons that can artificially manipulate the environment could be responsible for the mass die offs. We know for a fact that over a decade ago the U.S. Military Industrial Complex was aware of and involved in the testing of such technology.
In 1997, Defense Secretary William Cohen stated, “Others [terrorists] are engaging even in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves… So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations…It’s real, and that’s the reason why we have to intensify our [counter terrorism] efforts.”
The fact that illness or poisoning has been ruled out points to some form of secret testing being behind the mass die-offs.
The U.S. government has been repeatedly caught engaging in illegal bio-weapons tests over American skies that have maimed and killed not just animals, but humans. The history of US government biological testing includes deliberately infecting Americans with syphilis, malaria and other bacteriological agents.
From the 1950′s onwards, the U.S. government deliberately engaged in open air tests, spraying major cities like San Francisco and New York with Serratia marcescens and Bacillus glogigii. In 1955, the CIA also released a a bacteria withdrawn from the Army’s biological warfare arsenal over Tampa Bay, Fl in order to test its ability to infect human populations with biological agents.
In 1966, the U.S. Army dispensed Bacillus subtilis variant niger throughout the New York City subway system. 1977 Senate hearings on Health and Scientific Research confirmed that 239 populated areas had been contaminated with biological agents between 1949 and 1969, including San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Key West, Panama City, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.
In August 1994, residents in the Oakville, Washington area reported tiny blobs of gelatinous goo raining from the sky, and in 1997 residents in the Everett area of Washington State reported similar a phenomenon.
Given the history of governments across the world performing unwitting experiments on their populations, the number one suspect in such cases should always be government. Just a few months ago is came to light that in the late 1940′s, “American public health doctors deliberately infected nearly 700 Guatemalans — prison inmates, mental patients and soldiers — with venereal diseases.”
Indeed, the EPA’s own policy states that government and industry scientists can treat children as human guinea pigs in chemical experiments, which allows pesticides to be tested on mentally handicapped children and orphans.
In Alex Jones’ seminal film Endgame, which can be viewed below, we document countless examples of biological testing and other unwitting experiments conducted by governments in pursuit of bacteriological warfare and population control, including Project SHAD, plague bombs, and the atomic soldiers controversy.

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 4th, 2011, 8:30 am

See, I knew this would happen. You guys openned the door for this crap and let it in. Now you have to deal with it. It was ultimately going to lead up to him posting internet sensationalism spawned from troubled psyches. Please take this to the Forums where you can commiserate with kindred spirits...

scott s

Post by scott s » January 4th, 2011, 8:35 am

What aspect of this is crap?

"In 1997, Defense Secretary William Cohen stated, “Others [terrorists] are engaging even in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves… So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations…It’s real, and that’s the reason why we have to intensify our [counter terrorism] efforts.”

Cohen was Defense Secretary of the United States of America.

Hardly a wacko.

Do you have a good explanation for what happened to the birds and fish?

BradB

Post by BradB » January 4th, 2011, 9:50 am

I farted

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » January 4th, 2011, 10:05 am

I heard an interview with the Arkansas state veterinarian. He thought the bird deaths were likely caused by trauma not poisoning or disease.

The necropsy results should be in soon on the birds to confirm this. We might not ever find out what caused the extreme reaction in the birds that led up to the trauma.

VanAR

Post by VanAR » January 4th, 2011, 11:05 am

Bryan, I read the same. Seems they're still fingering fireworks as the likeliest cause of startling that led the birds to flight in the dark- still not sure if I buy that or not. I think the only scenario where this could even be hypothesized as government-related would be due to a too-low overflight by a plane out of Little Rock AFB, which isn't that far to the south/southwest.

gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 » January 4th, 2011, 11:18 am

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » January 4th, 2011, 11:59 am

It's funny how these events always coincide with the sighting of UFOs and little green men...one Eyewitness saw a canon type object in the hands of one of the little green men just before the birds started falling. He is quoted as saying "It interrupted a great rerun of Lawrence Welk on TV, and the little guys scattered when I fired my shotgun."

In other news, investigators are still looking for the perpetrator behind the Lincoln assassination...Iraq is suspected...

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Sonic Boom perhaps?

crocdoc

Post by crocdoc » January 4th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Crop circles.

Apparently, if the aliens put too many crop circles in one area it resembles a giant smiley face and the eyes freak birds out the same way that eye spots on bird wings do.

Elvis told me.

Paul White

Post by Paul White » January 4th, 2011, 12:39 pm

I chalk it up that great equalizer; shit happens!
The species specificity is the oddest part. Toxins, sonic booms, whatever...you'd think there'd be other species affected?

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave » January 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm

I say lets wait and see what the people on the ground studying this have to say....

or look into the flying monkeys (they probably had something to do with it!).

ACK!

Post by ACK! » January 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm

crocdoc wrote:Crop circles.

Apparently, if the aliens put too many crop circles in one area it resembles a giant smiley face and the eyes freak birds out the same way that eye spots on bird wings do.

Elvis told me.

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 4th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Think we need to assign Walter Bishop, Ph.D on this one...

reptilist

Post by reptilist » January 4th, 2011, 1:42 pm

I'm guessing that the birds were startled, flew up from their roost at a high rate of speed and collided with the invisible force field surrounding the mother ship while she hovered in stealth mode over the townsite.
The birds then fell nilly willy like a bunch of drunken sailors on shore leave in Manila.

I'm still working on a plausible fish story, but I'm pretty sure it involves a center of the Earth theory.

ratsnake

Post by ratsnake » January 4th, 2011, 1:46 pm

The birds fell from the sky and they found integral trauma. I wonder if the two have anything to do with each other? :? :roll:

Mark

Brendan

Post by Brendan » January 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Seems like a really strange coincidence that it happens out of the blue in two states hundreds of miles apart. Lots of odd things happening with climate changes as well. Crazy cold temps out here in AZ with snow in the east valley and my home town of Buffalo which is usually buried in snow is having a heat wave (almost 60 last week). Something isn't right!!

gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 » January 4th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Brendan wrote: my home town of Buffalo which is usually buried in snow is having a heat wave (almost 60 last week). Something isn't right!!
60 in Buffalo? The Bills better hurry and fly all the SEC recruits they're looking into up now and convince them that winters in Buffalo aren't that bad while they have the chance. There'll probably be 3 feet of snow still on the ground after the draft in April.

Ok...back to the birds. I'm liking Terry's mothership theory.

Chris