Calling the Biologists, What could have made this happen?

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

muskiemagnet

Re: Calling the Biologists, What could have made this happe

Post by muskiemagnet » January 4th, 2011, 6:27 pm

no ideas here, except that it's "wierd".

OK, that said, if terrorists want to kill our birds, let's convince them how much we "love" european starlings. maybe we can reverse-spych them into doing us a favor.

-ben

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » January 4th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Cohen was Defense Secretary of the United States of America.
Colin Powell was Secretary of State when he gave the infamous WMD speech at the UN. He wasn't a whacko either, but had been fed criminally wrong intel.

I'm not saying that EM waves can alter a lot of thing, but earthquakes are not amongst them.

And I vehemently protest the accusation that Jesus is an "Internet phenomenon"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

scott s

Post by scott s » January 4th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Hans,

Believe it or not, it is not even that difficult to cause an earthquake with EM waves.

There are a host of multinational treaties that all the large countries have signed which were put together to prevent one country from using this technology against another country.

Govts have been capable of manipulating weather and causing earthquakes since the 70's.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » January 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm

I stand corrected. Thank you, Scott!

Sam Sweet

Post by Sam Sweet » January 5th, 2011, 12:47 am

VanAR

Post by VanAR » January 5th, 2011, 8:17 am

Nice pic, Sam, but i think this one might be more appropriate:

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/u ... -hat-3.jpg

Paul White

Post by Paul White » January 5th, 2011, 8:18 am

The aflockalypse is coming ! FLEE!

Hallelujah it's raining birds...hallelujah it's raining birds /disco!

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 5th, 2011, 8:25 am

scott s wrote:Hans,

Believe it or not, it is not even that difficult to cause an earthquake with EM waves.

There are a host of multinational treaties that all the large countries have signed which were put together to prevent one country from using this technology against another country.

Govts have been capable of manipulating weather and causing earthquakes since the 70's.
WHACKADOODLE!

Brendan

Post by Brendan » January 5th, 2011, 8:50 am

More dead birds in Sweden.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40921795/ns ... ?gt1=43001

So is this something that has been occurring on a regular basis and now finally being brought to light in the media???

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » January 5th, 2011, 10:55 am

I recently spoke with an ornithologist who is supervising a series of songbird/passerine counts across the U.S. I had mentioned to him in passing that I noticed on a field tech job board that there were a considerable number of field projects across the U.S. concentrating on this. I asked if there was any a particular reason for this. He replied stating "no more projects than usual, however there appears to be a steady decline in songbird/passerine populations in the U.S. and we are trying to figure out what the causes might be. Probably more than one." Just thought I'd mention this and I have absolutely no idea whether these sudden mass deaths
have anything to do with this.

VanAR

Post by VanAR » January 5th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Many of these overwintering songbird populations are fed by feeders to the point that they do not migrate, and may artificially increase population sizes. If those food resources are removed, or reduced, something like this could definitely happen.

Mass mortality is being reported more and more often as a "regular" occurrence, fwiw.

scott s

Post by scott s » January 5th, 2011, 1:26 pm

"If those food resources are removed, or reduced, something like this could definitely happen.
Mass mortality is being reported more and more often as a "regular" occurrence, fwiw."

Van,

I have no doubt that the above statement is true, but it certainly doesn't explain thousands of birds all falling out of the sky at the exact same time,,,,does it?

Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby » January 5th, 2011, 6:34 pm

scott s wrote:"If those food resources are removed, or reduced, something like this could definitely happen.
Mass mortality is being reported more and more often as a "regular" occurrence, fwiw."

Van,

I have no doubt that the above statement is true, but it certainly doesn't explain thousands of birds all falling out of the sky at the exact same time,,,,does it?
The conversation has drifted far past the Arkansas incident. It seems clear that Van was making his comment regarding bird die offs in general.

Of course the possibility of all those red-wing black birds simultaneously craving a midnight snack then suddenly dying in mid-flight because none was found seems more likely than anything involving government conspiracies, ETs, or hollow earth theory.

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » January 5th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Wow, Scott...I just noticed something...the smaller you make the map, the more important each of those pins looks...

scott s

Post by scott s » January 5th, 2011, 8:44 pm

If you zoom in on Phoenix, you can see where the Homo hubbsyi was vaporized by his microwave oven's electromagnetic radiation. :crazyeyes:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » January 6th, 2011, 11:36 am

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » January 6th, 2011, 11:51 am

Kirk Cameron says that birds falling from the sky are not a sign of the apocolyspe.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05 ... ld/?hpt=C2

We can all rest easy now.

reptilist

Post by reptilist » January 6th, 2011, 12:37 pm

He was such a cute kid, It's a shame to see him go downhill like that.
(Kirk, not Hubbs.)

scott s

Post by scott s » January 6th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane » January 6th, 2011, 9:02 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40949034/ns ... e-science/ Dead crabs, Lobsters and Starfish in England.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in- ... nts-so-far 13 places total with 'massive die-offs'?

What the heck is happening?

Crimson King

Post by Crimson King » January 7th, 2011, 3:19 am

honestly, no idea...but we're renumbering the runways at airports to coincide w/north pole magnetic shift......
compasses are off too so why not animals?
:Mark

reptilist

Post by reptilist » January 7th, 2011, 11:46 am

Are people next?

ACK!

Post by ACK! » January 7th, 2011, 11:58 am

Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane » January 9th, 2011, 7:10 pm

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in- ... ish-events

30 events now?

Are we only hearing about it now because of the internet? Has this always happened?

Gluesenkamp

Post by Gluesenkamp » January 10th, 2011, 9:52 am

Several hundred dead birds may seem like a massive die-off but not when you consider that flocks often number in the thousands -or tens of thousands. These mysterious kills aren't all that mysterious if only one in a thousand birds hit a powerline, was pegged by hail, or succumbed to noise- or temperature-induced shock.

The recent coverage and conspiracy theories remind me of my favorite "can't fall asleep, need something boring to read" book: The Complete Works of Charles H. Fort. He was a crank who wrote about blood rains, fish rains, etc. He figured that much of the odd stuff reported to fall in vairous places was debris from dueling alien spaceships. Some things never change....

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » January 10th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Chad M. Lane wrote:30 events now?

Are we only hearing about it now because of the internet? Has this always happened?
Yes, and yes.

Don't you remember "Summer of the Shark," a decade ago, when you couldn't go a day without hearing about a shark attack? I think somebody looked back and realized there wasn't a statistically-significant increase in attacks that year, rather it just seemed to be the "flavor of the month" over-hyped news story during that time period.

SnakeStick

Post by SnakeStick » January 28th, 2011, 6:56 am

A while back a buddy and I were out fishing when we both caught a glimpse of an adult osprey just plummeting to the ground from of a tree. Hit the ground 100 yards from us, dead as a door nail. No clue how it died.

jonathan

Post by jonathan » January 30th, 2011, 6:08 am

Chad M. Lane wrote:http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in- ... ish-events

30 events now?

Yup. I've seen a number of articles indicating that nothing new is going on - just do a google search. For example, I got the following stat:
According to USGS NWHC records, there have been 188 mortality events across the country involving 1,000 birds or more during the past 10 years (2000 - 2010).
So that's an average of 1.6 events every month in the US alone....since they're not evenly spaced you're obviously going to have the occasional random month where you get 5-6 events. Add in the fact that many of the reported events are much smaller than 1000 birds, many involve other species, and they're being reported all over the world, and you can extrapolate that getting dozens of dieoffs worldwide in a single month probably doesn't indicate anything unusual at all.

jonathan

Post by jonathan » January 30th, 2011, 6:09 am

reptilist wrote:He was such a cute kid, It's a shame to see him go downhill like that.
(Kirk, not Hubbs.)
I wouldn't call it downhill - he apparently gave a very intelligent answer to the question:
Cameron suggested that perhaps Cooper should call a veterinarian, not him, to explain. “You know, I’m not the religious-conspiracy-theorist go-to guy, particularly. But I think it’s really kind of silly to try to equate birds falling out of the sky with some kind of an end-times theory,” Cameron said.

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » January 30th, 2011, 10:45 am

jonathan wrote:So that's an average of 1.6 events every month in the US alone....since they're not evenly spaced you're obviously going to have the occasional random month where you get 5-6 events. Add in the fact that many of the reported events are much smaller than 1000 birds, many involve other species, and they're being reported all over the world, and you can extrapolate that getting dozens of dieoffs worldwide in a single month probably doesn't indicate anything unusual at all.
Most of those events are waterfowl which are susceptible to die-offs because of their habitat social interactions. These passerine die-offs are unusual.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » January 30th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Can anyone give me an update? Is the world still standing? Would be a shame if Armageddon had come and gone, and I'd missed it....