Cleaning out the Cobra Pit aka Craziest Thing I've EVER seen

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Cleaning out the Cobra Pit aka Craziest Thing I've EVER seen

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » April 8th, 2011, 8:19 am

This is hands down the CRAZIEST SHIT I have EVER SEEN. Only in Thailand! (or is it?)

I wonder what that place is?

And why the cobras are stuck in that pit for so long that they even lay eggs?

And why are there two dead cobras in the center?

And how do they all get fed? The guy walks around with a huge basket full of mice, throwing them left and right by the handful?

Much to learn about (captive) cobra behavior here, I think...unless they're all on Zoloft.

PS: As unnatural and unhealthy the entire scene is for the reptiles (unless there's a cobra species that likes to gather in large herds), I couldn't help laughing at those hordes of snakes hooded up in the corners, like so many little old ladies standing up from their park benches, mighty indignant at the disturbance, trying to get a better look at the rude, intrusive giant....

monklet

Re: Cleaning out the Cobra Pit aka Craziest Thing I've EVER

Post by monklet » April 8th, 2011, 8:26 am

This is hands down the CRAZIEST SHIT I have EVER SEEN
Likewise ...truly a paradigm shifter! :shock: :shock: :shock: ...but what's the point of that?
I couldn't help laughing at those hordes of snakes hooded up in the corners, like so many little old ladies standing up from their park benches, mighty indignant at the disturbance, trying to get a better look at the rude, intrusive giant
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...perfect!

Tom

Post by Tom » April 8th, 2011, 8:32 am

I'd guess the snakes probably succumb to injuries, disease and dehydration before starvation, so no need to feed them - just get more in from the wild. They all seem pretty lethargic anyway, all the cobras I've encountered attempted to flee before hooding. Unfortunately, it's the tourists that perpetuate these places.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » April 8th, 2011, 8:47 am

Shit. I've heard about these places, but had no idea it was that bad. Guess Naja sp. ain't considered an endangered species in Siam....(what are they? N. kaouthia?)

What a bummer. My own limited experience with wild N. atra has taught me much respect and admiration for these snakes. Oddly enough, what I like most about them is not the whole hissinghoodingsnarlingninja bit, but their obvious timidity. I really like that they just want to be left alone. Malice is something only humans (and certain cats) are capable of, and few animals bring this across like the much-maligned cobra does.

Makes me even more depressed to see this shit...

Tom

Post by Tom » April 8th, 2011, 9:10 am

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Shit. I've heard about these places, but had no idea it was that bad. Guess Naja sp. ain't considered an endangered species in Siam....(what are they? N. kaouthia?)

What a bummer. My own limited experience with wild N. atra has taught me much respect and admiration for these snakes. Oddly enough, what I like most about them is not the whole hissinghoodingsnarlingninja bit, but their obvious timidity. I really like that they just want to be left alone. Malice is something only humans (and certain cats) are capable of, and few animals bring this across like the much-maligned cobra does.

Makes me even more depressed to see this shit...
Apologies, didn't want to bring a total downer to the thread. If there is anything positive to learn from it, it's just how inoffensive and timid (as you say) cobras are. :D

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » April 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Well, downer or no - truth is truth, regardless of its effects. I was obviously too naive, but am now girdled with a new-found understanding (and loathing) for these practices.

Is there anything being done against this crap? I mean, we're not talking baby seals here, so John Q. Public might not be as deeply moved and righteously enraged...

Viridovipera

Post by Viridovipera » April 8th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Well, downer or no - truth is truth, regardless of its effects. I was obviously too naive, but am now girdled with a new-found understanding (and loathing) for these practices.

Is there anything being done against this crap? I mean, we're not talking baby seals here, so John Q. Public might not be as deeply moved and righteously enraged...
For us as Westerners? Sure. Don't buy snake wine, snake purses, snake boots and most of all don't pay money to support these inhumane practices (although we're probably preaching to the choir). Other than that, we really as individuals don't have a right to tell Thailand what it can and can't do with it's snakes. We need bigger organizations (with more money) to get our backs with that.

I think Tom is right about the spectacle part (and you about the ID :lol:-- they're called monocled or spectacled cobras :lol: ), I bet they just got some pregnant females that got so stressed they just shat their eggs out right there on the concrete.

Still, pretty ridiculous handling techniques.

You can tell that they're Naja kauothia because of the the two black dots on the ventral part of their white hood, and the circular white ring on the dorsal part of the hood. These two traits, however, aren't present on all N. kauothia and I bet someone else will chime in with a better response.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » April 8th, 2011, 7:32 pm

we really as individuals don't have a right to tell Thailand what it can and can't do with it's snakes.
I think we do. Like we have to right to tell Sarawak's government what they can & can't do with their forests. Not that they listen, but they're messing up the climate for all of South East Asia. While that probably won't happen when Thailand's cobras disappear, there will still be a massive impact on the environment - like every time a species trundles off this mortal coil.
But yeah, preaching to the choir and all that.

You can tell that they're Naja kauothia because of the the two black dots on the ventral part of their white hood, and the circular white ring on the dorsal part of the hood. These two traits, however, aren't present on all N. kauothia and I bet someone else will chime in with a better response.
You science types are sooo complicated. What I did was take a look at a site on Thailand snakes, found that there are three cobra species, ruled out the King and the spitter for obvious reasons, and viola! :-)

QED,

Sherlock

Warren

Post by Warren » April 8th, 2011, 9:25 pm

What I did was take a look at a site, rule out the King and the spitter for obvious reasons, and viola! :-)
Sounds like my typical Saturday night. But I digress :lol:

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » April 9th, 2011, 1:00 am

Warren wrote:
What I did was take a look at a site, rule out the King and the spitter for obvious reasons, and viola! :-)
Sounds like my typical Saturday night. But I digress :lol:
ROFL! The pitfalls of unleashing unedited phrasing onto the Interwebs....

KEAC

Post by KEAC » April 9th, 2011, 4:38 pm

As a Westerner, I would love to see us make an impact on how animals are treated abroad, although I am only pointing out the obvious by mentioning that we can't seemingly put a dent in our own local ignorance and abuses. i.e. Rattlesnake Roundups :(

SheriMonk

Post by SheriMonk » April 24th, 2011, 10:13 am

It is unfortunate.
And yes, when dealing with foreign nations, one can only hope to influence and encourage as change by force is at best a short-term solution and one that usually is the harbinger of further tension and trouble.

But as for the dude with the job, I really wonder if these aren't venomoids, or something. Can you imagine?

"Hello. My name is Bob. I clean out a massive cobra exhibit for a living. Without gloves. Or a snake hook. Without long pants. IN MY SANDALS."

I don't know, but I suspect that position has a high turnover rate. ;)