It is currently September 21st, 2014, 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nicely Done Documentary On Snakes, Folklore and Religion
PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 5:47 pm 

Around the world. The African tribe that worships Python regius is particularly intriguing. Check it out:
http://underdogcinema.com/nature/animal ... the-snake/ Don't freak out from the Sweetwater Roundup segment. Pretty horrible showing gasoline being poured down a den.

Post subject: Re: Nicely Done Documentary On Snakes, Folklore and Religion
PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 6:40 pm 

I'm about 25 mins into it. Probably worth watching but there is a lot of misinformation (e.g. calling a Boa constrictor a python, etc...).

"Their faith makes them immune to the venom" :crazyeyes: :lol:

-Chris

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm 

Chris Smith wrote:
I'm about 25 mins into it. Probably worth watching but there is a lot of misinformation (e.g. calling a Boa constrictor a python, etc...).

"Their faith makes them immune to the venom" :crazyeyes: :lol:

-Chris

I forgive the film makers regarding scientific inaccuracies: ie: referring to poison instead of venom; since the jist of this documentary is more anthropological and sociological, rather than a biological expose on snakes. I hope you didn't take what the narrator stated literally.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 7:34 pm 

No worries. Didn't take anything literally. :beer:

Thanks for posting this though!

-Chris

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:04 pm 

Definitely loads of technical errors, but that's not overly surprising. African tribes living along the Nile deifying South American caimans, for example, rather than the local Nile crocodile. Or referring to snakes in general as 'the species'.

Swapping the boa for the python may possibly have come down to convenience (had footage of one, wanted to say something about the other, knew that if he/she couldn't tell the difference then neither would 99% of the viewing audience) - I've seen a lot of that in documentaries - but given the inaccuracies elsewhere I'm going to guess it wasn't intentional.

However, what I found scariest about that video was the look of the people in the church in the US. I was surprised to see them playing guitar rather than banjos, if you get my drift ;) (think Deliverance). The definition of 'virgin' in that town would have to be someone that can run faster than their father and brothers.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 12:53 pm 

I watched the whole thing. I can't say I thought it was particularly good or interesting. But it did show that with very little exception, a snake that bumps into a human is going to:
a) spend the rest of it's life in a tiny ass cage
b) die

that one shot with the severed heads in a bucket freaking out was almost too much for me. Can you imagine the terror in that existence?

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

If it wasn't particularly good or interesting, why is the part about human treatment of snakes (catch or kill, as you stated) accepted? That's a very selective view of a doc you called uninteresting and not very good.

I disagree. While there are certainly plenty of people who kill snakes on sight and herpers who will collect, the overwhelming majority of herpers and average folks I've run into do NOT act that way. Respect your opinion, but my experience has been vastly different on both of those points.

scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 1:48 pm 

Scott Waters wrote:
If it wasn't particularly good or interesting, why is the part about human treatment of snakes (catch or kill, as you stated) accepted? That's a very selective view of a doc you called uninteresting and not very good.

I'm not sure I understand these sentences. Do you mind clarifying or rephrasing?

To clarify myself, I didn't find the technical aspects (filming, editting, etc.) particularly well done. I also didn't find the narrative to be well written, thought out, or put together that well. It sort of bounced along through a bunch of different topics and kind of plodded through an overall theme to its end.

As to people's interaction with snakes, I stand behind it. I will agree that things have gotten better for them (PR wise not habitat wise) over the last 20 years (random number). I still think the majority of folks who bump into a snake will kill it. Luckily, most folks don't notice snakes when they are around, and don't go where snakes are found. This comes from living and working in upstate NY, OH, CA, AZ, NV, FL, GA, MD, Japan, Mexico, and Thailand.

Obviously herpers, green-type folks, and other natualist minded people are different. Luckily this type of person seems to be on the rise. Although many a person who loves snakes is guilty of shoebox housing.

I don't want to sound presumptuous, but is it possible that, woking in the herp industry being primarliy surrounded by herpers, you maybe think it's a more pervasive mindset?

Let me know,
Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Habitat loss is the biggest problem for snakes. Far more concerning than the number of snakes that die in shoe boxes. Is putting a snake in a shoe box an automatic qualifier of being "guilty" of something? I'm not judging your position, just curious if you feel ALL collection is a "guilty" charge.

I see your points, but just disagree on the finer ones.

Have you seen the mag, by any chance? I think you might like it! Content is King. :)

Scott

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 8:59 am 

Agreed on the habitat loss issue for sure. I was just pointing out the inverse relationship between how as more and more people are coming to appreciate snakes, there are less and less of them around. I wasn't so much commenting on the snakes that dies in shoeboxes but the quality of life they experience. Let's face it: it's got to mind numbingly boring in there. I know a few people who have fallen into this way of keeping. They started all enthusiastically with large cages and dedicated rooms. As they moved into trying to make a career out of it, cages got smaller and animals became more numerous. They have all expressed that they think the animals have it pretty good. A safe life from predators, square meals, etc. I think one has to have an awful low opinion of both snakes and the words "pretty good" to fool yourself into thinking that.
The saying that whenever animals and money get involved animals lose is applicable.

No, I don't feel all keeping is wrong. Even all collecting. I don't like it, but I realize part of the way to propagate a love of the critters and therefore the habitat they live in is for people to catch stuff and bring it home. When I was a kid I brought every darn snake and turtle I found home with me. Most of it found its way back after a few weeks.

I have to admit I haven't seen the mag. From what I hear it sounds like the older Reptiles and Amphibians pocket size publication from 20 or so years ago. A nice mix of science, field stuff, and keeping. If I had any disposable income I'd proabably grab a sub. But alas, I've sunk all my dough into a venture that has yet to "take off" (if it ever does).

Also, still not sure what you meant by
"If it wasn't particularly good or interesting, why is the part about human treatment of snakes (catch or kill, as you stated) accepted? That's a very selective view of a doc you called uninteresting and not very good."

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

I think it can go that way, sure, but I've known very few people who've neglected their collection. But yes, it definitely happens. No different than any other kind of animal neglect, I suppose. You'll have a certain amount of it in any group. "Pretty good" is subjective, as is your opinion of how they view their keeping snakes (square meals, etc). To each his/her own when it comes to justification of an animal-keeping lifestyle. Reminds me of how humans make dogs "human". They are not, they are dogs, they understand DOG, not our "feelings", etc. Snakes, I would suggest, are no different. We humanize them at times, claiming they must not be "happy" living in boxes, etc, when it reality we have no way of being able to answer that fully. Again, very subjective.

A friend of mine has strong feelings air movement and exercising them. He works with VERY expensive and rare snakes, and since he's advanced his air movement and gives the snakes weekly "exercises", he's noticed a marked increase in egg production. He might do an article on the subject.

Yeah, check out the mag if you get a chance. I wouldn't compare it to the old R/A, though. I'd go more "Vivarium" as a comparison. We are quite proud of it, so I hope you get a chance to check it out.

Next cover....

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 5:06 pm 

I highly reccommend the magazine. Good mix of field and captive. The authors individual styles and personalities shine through rather then being edited into genericness. The photos are great and the paper stock is the nice thick and glossy type. Very readable and collection worthy. If you can't afford a sub at least try to look at a friend's copy or look for it the next time you go to a herp show.