Possible Mexican Records/Possiblemente recordas de Mexico

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

intermedius

Possible Mexican Records/Possiblemente recordas de Mexico

Post by intermedius »

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on the Mexico Chapter. I've read the thread of Possible U.S records, but what about the many records that have been insufficient or not known. For example, there are many unconfirmed records of Crotalus Atrox from Tehuantepec and Veracruz, that are legit Atrox and not simus, but not proven. Also, what about records of Stejnegeri and most of the Long-Tail's from Nayarit, Sonora, Colima, and Michoacan. There are also many Micrurus records never given ID's or just new records that don't make sense. Better yet, what about almost all of the Bothriechis that can make it into Chiapas, but are not recorded much from that region. I know that this may seem awkward, but what about Baja Boas :| . Yes "Baja Boas". It actually kinda makes sense because boas could have been in Mexico before Baja split. Thus, a population may occur in the Cape.

What states do you think have new or unconfirmed records? Please answer in english.

Saludos,

Justin
jonathan

Re: Possible Mexican Records/Possiblemente recordas de Mexic

Post by jonathan »

Great idea. I know that Jason Jones and company are doing a lot of work with the long-tails. I hope that someone who knows a lot more than me about Mexican herps ends up replying.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Would be really interesting to see what makes it around. Sucks how bad Mexico is right now. After reading Brian Hubb's book, I feel the only way to be safe is to have an AK47 with me at all times... :(
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

intermedius wrote:Would be really interesting to see what makes it around. Sucks how bad Mexico is right now. After reading Brian Hubb's book, I feel the only way to be safe is to have an AK47 with me at all times... :(
From what I hear, the majority of Mexico is fine. It's been a few years since I've been myself, but I hear the warzone is a fairly specific area.

If you were afraid, though, do you really think a gun would make you safe? A lot of the dudes who are dying are packing plenty of heat....and the dudes doing the killing aren't the kind who are going to be afraid of some herper with an AK.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Good point, maybe it's all "propaganda". Moving on the subject, how come nobody has found a knoblochi yet?
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

intermedius wrote:how come nobody has found a knoblochi yet?
People on this forum have.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Norman D wrote:
intermedius wrote:how come nobody has found a knoblochi yet?
People on this forum have.

Yup - do a search and you should see at least two.
Ivan Ahumada

Post by Ivan Ahumada »

hello herps, Mexico unfortunately has become very insecure, even this last year has increased alarmingly. intermedius on questions, I think for example the long tail are hard and areas where they live are conducive to the cultivation of cannabis, as Jason and colleagues said, so few people out to get them. On the other species I think most of the Mexican herps, visit popular locations such as Los Tuxtlas, Puerto Vallarta, Chamela, etc., Attracted by the number of publications that exist on these locations.

But I can say that it knows few people actually work in the field, and most of the Mexican herps take the field to seek any kind, without expecting anything in particular.

I hope I explained.

Greetings and sorry for my terrible English

__________________________________________________________________________________

hola herpeadores, desgraciadamente Mexico se ha vuelto muy inseguro, incluso este ultimo año ha aumentado alarmantemente. sobre las preguntas de intermedius, creo que por ejemplo las cola largas son dificiles y donde viven son areas propicias para el cultivo de Canabis, como lo comenta Jason y colaboradores, por lo que poca gente sale a buscarlas. Sobre las otras especies creo que la mayoria de los herpeadores mexicanos, visitan las localidades populares, como Los tuxtlas, Puerto Vallarta, Chamela, etc., atraidos por la cantidad de publicaciones que existen sobre estas localidades.

Sin embargo puedo comentar que es poca la gente que sabe realmente trabajar en campo, y la mayoria de los herpeadores mexicanos salen al campo a buscar cualquier especie, sin esperar nada en particular.

Espero haberme explicado.

Saludos y disculpen mi terrible ingles