It is currently May 24th, 2017, 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vermiclate water ratio
PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 4:47 am 

Question for people that use vermiculate: Do you do the 1:1 weight ratio? I just weighed it out for the first time in m y life for some snake eggs and it is way drier than I have ever used before. I would ususally just wet it down and then squeeze out thw the water. I didnt have success with this particular species so I figured I would try it "by the book" this time. I weighed it out twice to see if I messed up the first time but it is still very dry. My theory to my lack of success with the species ( and a species og lizard) was that I made it too wet because I had a bunch of dead almost full term babies in the egg.

Post subject: Re: Vermiclate water ratio
PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 5:18 am 

You can do it by the book rough measure but if you dont like what you feel for your purpose make adjustments to your own judgement.

Materials particulate, as reactive to water as vermiculite can vary depending on the batch, whether its been used before, dried, has residues of past hatches, the amount of dust, top of the Coarse bag, bottom of the Coarse bag. etc. Trust your judgement its good.

Squeezing the verm can wear it out though. If you feel its too wet add more verm instead. Let it settle and fully 'ripen' ie, expand before you set your eggs.

Post subject: Re: Vermiclate water ratio
PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 12:58 pm 

If you mix it, close it, let it finish, and a line of fog presents along the margin of the verm bed through the tupperware it should be moist enough.

Some patchy areas of faint condensation seen against tupp wall at verm depth may also appear when it is put to temp.

A better assessment comes when you let it finish up, even if you use a gauge. Compressing a fist of verm is ok for a test but its not the greatest way to correct the whole bed.

Thanks for posting this keep us in the loop about your guys.