It is currently February 19th, 2018, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: misting system questions
PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 12:21 pm 

Does anyone here have experience with misting systems? I want to use it for Uroplatus and I have a few questions:

What is your preferred brand? From a little bit of searching it seems like MistKing gets the most attention

Can I use regular tap water through it? My water is kind of hard. I know everyone RECOMMENDS RO or distilled, but would I be able to just soak the nozzles in vinegar periodically? Or even run vinegar straight through the system?

If no to the above question, does anyone know the real answer if distilled is bad as drinking water for reptiles? I have seen both arguments but no actual evidence for either.

The plan is the misting will be the gecko's sole source of drinking water. Will the mist from MistKing be to fine? or will there be enough droplets formed on surfaces for them to drink from? Right now I spray the enclosures at least every other night (that will go to every night once its warmer) and watch them drink.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: misting system questions
PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 6:26 pm 

Many people start off using RO but abandon it. Some things are satisfying to clean and some things are just easier to replace. For me nozzles and sprayer heads fit into the replace category. TDS levels contacted by most animals in the wild vary; in my way of seeing things any absolute uniformity with something as important as water can be easily avoided. Be it having absolutely no dissolved salts and minerals or being too hard. I use distilled for my frogs misting but their water pool leans slightly hard.

When switching to an automated system its a good idea to maintain a conscious intimacy with that window of check that you have fostered when misting by hand. Keep it up a while. Adjustments will be forthcoming.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 11:19 am 

Thanks Kelly for your always present good advice. I will definitely stay on top of them. I will be getting some hatchling henkeli in the near future, and don't want to have to worry about them if I go away for a few days. (Also hoping to hatch my own sikorae this year). One of the perks of keeping reptiles is the ability to leave them alone when needed. But tiny little geckos that likely wont drink from a bowl makes it a little more tricky. And like you said, adjustments will be needed so I am going to set up full time so I know its running properly instead of setting it up only when absolutely needed a couple of times per year.

For the record, I have asked around elsewhere too and everyone agrees that misting heads just cant effectively be cleaned.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 3:25 pm 

I favor the units sold by ProProducts.

http://pro-products.com/