Anyone else working with these?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ALT

Anyone else working with these?

Post by ALT »

I'm really enjoying these beasts.
They're such a refreshing change from predictable ambush predatory constricting species.
Sure, they can be a challenge at times, but they're sooooo worth it!
That is, if you have the space and patience.

Here they are the day I got them. They're 2010 cb from Lake Wales FL parents.

It weirds me out a bit that they both have 4 prefrontals. I've never seen that before in coaches.

Cage shot. They'll be getting some fancy custom-built habitats this summer.

Here they are as yearlings, in the same container they arrived in.

Their temperaments are nowhere near the "nastycophis" fame, however they do smile for the camera.

Hopefully the black will continue filling in as they grow :)
monklet

Re: Anyone else working with these?

Post by monklet »

8-) 8-) 8-) Sure wish I had room. Love the sight-hunters! They seem way more intelligent. Hope to see periodic updates of your project.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

BEAUTIFUL snakes! I'd imagine that working with (correct me if I am wrong, as I most likely am) Masticophis would present some challenges, as they are to be quite the active and "tempermental" snake. The coloration of that one neonate's head reminds me alot of that of a tarantula...very cool!

What ae they eating? Also, what temps are they kept at?

Zac
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Very cool! A very under-appreciated species. I have a pair of westerns and I love them! They definitely aren't mean either, that's why I kept them. The female I rescued from a glue trap and the male was found about 10 miles south from there. They haven't produced yet, but I am hopeful for this year. Here are some pictures of the female:

Give them plenty of room and I've found that they love cover. 99% of the time they are under cover and they are very flighty! They bolt under cover anytime I open the cage. Great animals!

Josh
ALT

Post by ALT »

What ae they eating? Also, what temps are they kept at?
They've been on mice since I got them, starting with pinkies, whether they wanted them or not (assist feeding at first). I managed to condition them from live to thawed over several months by using a dish. It was cool, I'd give them live pinkies, then a few days later they'd be nosing around their dishes. I'd put thawed food in there and it would disappear, although they would never eat in front of me. Of course, I went and ruined that last fall by letting them hunt. Now they're on adult mice which aren't exactly easy to contain in a feeding dish. As far as temperature goes, I give them access to a 100F basking spot, and regular room temps (low 70s) for the rest of the cage.

Josh, great stuff with the rescue! Very nice looking westerns. Mine are flighty too, and aren't usually out when I'm in the room. I'm hoping they get more confident as they gain some size. The goal is to get them trusting enough to tong-feed one of these days.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Have you tried chicks? I swear at least 1-2x/year I find coachwhips around here raiding nest...I know they're not the same species but they're pretty closely related. Might get them onto f/t chicks or quail easier than mice if they're being stubborn
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

I would absolutely love to have a piar of them! I have never seen one in the wild but i have always thought that they were the coolest looking snakes.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I have a Coachwhip and a Racer. I think both are under appreciated.