Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Some pics I took today and last night

Post by Kelly Mc »

Kelly Mc

Re: Some pics I took today and last night

Post by Kelly Mc »

My computer keeps freezing up so I couldnt finish resizing the pics or writing the captions , but #8 and #9 are pics of my second largest male G.galloti (la palma) His name is Dezi and #10 (looking over the top of cork cave) is a pic of my largest male - his name is Cachao.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Great animals, great setups ...but I don't have a clue what kind of lizards those are :(
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Very nice!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks guys ! The green girl is my cristatella , I have had her for 6 years . I hope someday to encorperate more live plants , but she has a pattern of behavior and stationing I am reluctant to disturb. I find it hard to get live plants to "be" where I need them to be in a light framed screen environment . Any suggestions would be great

The 2 lacerta brutes are the alphas of Gallotia lizard group I produced 2010
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Kelly,

Beautiful terraria. All of your critters look so beautiful and healthy! Nice to see some Gallotia pics posted. What can you tell us about their behavior and needs? I've heard that they vocalize. If so, what do they sound like, and what prompts their vocalizations? -Thanks Kelly :D
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks El Garia :D

Gallotia are the only lizards with a true voice - the giant species are said to be much more vocal . Mine twitted much more as babies (starting in the egg box!) but now they only do so if startled or when they are lapping up fruit - they will make a very rapid high pitched click-click-click when they first start eating , as if they are pleasantly surprised.

Their parents were much more vocal and perhaps it was because they were together. They behaved very much as a bonded pair - sleeping together, following each other. The male would posture over the female but was never dominating - I never saw her wane or defer to him over food or a prime basking site. But on the whole galloti are highly competitive and start scrapping very early .

They have been extensively studied from neural functioning to incubation temps affect on locomotive speed of hatchlings. And much wild behavioral material. It makes keeping them richer. Im looking foward to more in my journey with them. I had more to share but the webpage expired and I lost it :x it made me log in and then my post was gone
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

Kelly Mc wrote:Thanks El Garia :D

Gallotia are the only lizards with a true voice - the giant species are said to be much more vocal . Mine twitted much more as babies (starting in the egg box!) but now they only do so if startled or when they are lapping up fruit - they will make a very rapid high pitched click-click-click when they first start eating , as if they are pleasantly surprised.

Their parents were much more vocal and perhaps it was because they were together. They behaved very much as a bonded pair - sleeping together, following each other. The male would posture over the female but was never dominating - I never saw her wane or defer to him over food or a prime basking site. But on the whole galloti are highly competitive and start scrapping very early .

They have been extensively studied from neural functioning to incubation temps affect on locomotive speed of hatchlings. And much wild behavioral material. It makes keeping them richer. Im looking foward to more in my journey with them. I had more to share but the webpage expired and I lost it :x it made me log in and then my post was gone
Amazing animals and setups you have there Kelly! The Gallotia are by far my favorite. I look forward to more pics.

I always have the problem of the browser timing out but if you copy the entire text before you hit "Submit" or "Preview" then when you sign back in you can just re-paste it instead of re-typing it all. I also know a lot of people that will type out their post in a word doc and then just copy and past it over when finished there. That way comes in especially handy when you are unable to sit down and do the entire post at one time.

-Thomas
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Kelly,

Thank you for sharing that with us. Gallotia have always fascinated me. Now, even more so. I've seen them on a show about the Canary Islands, where wild specimens were being hand fed by tourists. They sound like they would make very interesting pets. It's comforting to know that their vocalizations are limited to clicks and tweets. I once saw them for sale, and were described by the breeder as "talking lizards!" Made me think of the Warner Brothers 'Singing Frog' :mrgreen:

Thanks Kel :thumb:
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Very nice assortment of animals Kelly! It is refreshing to see a healthy green crested lizard for once!

Supposedly adult Gallotia gallotia make a sound like a young puppy.

Of course, we can't forget the geckos-lots of anecdotes of interesting calls from those...I've heard some of the Crytodactylus make sounds remarkably like bird calls.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks Joseph

Yes the larger species have louder voices - but unlike geckos , in galloti a true voicebox is responsible for creating the calls .

When I recieved the mother she had slight cold - she cooperated very well taking some extra calories in the form of odwalla style slurries but when I gave her the dropper with her medicine - It was amazing to hear the tweets change to an unmistakable tone of protest at the bitter taste - so similiar to what I have heard when having to medicate or restrain a parakeet or cockatiel

It was so strange and remarkable to hear what a lizard was thinking
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Joseph something stuck me as a hmm - like a little twig in my sock about the reptilian vocal cord thing - so I looked it up and yeah - geckos do have actual cords ; like what you said . I always thought it was an air expulsion sound modified by epiglottis structure kind of thing.

So thank you for that - it was cool to learn and I found other interesting larynx material along the way :thumb:

Thank you also for appreciating my cristatella - she is my favorite lizard.
I cherish her.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Here is pic of the parents