Leopard Gecko problems

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kat herp

Leopard Gecko problems

Post by kat herp »

Hi, I'm Katherine and I've had my two leopard geckos since I was 8, so for 10 years now. I was wondering if anyone was maybe a breeder or something, or if ayone has encountered similar problems? Both my leos were fat and happy as a gecko could be until a few months ago, when one seemed to get really sick. He developed a lump behind his eye, which turned out to be an abcess and he was given antibiotics by the vet. The only problem with the antibiotics is that it upset his stomach so he stopped eating for a while, which was't too bad because his tail was really thick. then he started to grow the abcess again, and another one formed behind his other eye, and it's become this vicious cycle of him needing antibiotics and then not eating. He dropped some weight so the vet gave me some artificial carnivore diet stuff to keep him healthy, but he still keeps losing weight because he gets so stressed when I try to feed him this food. He won't eat on his own now, not even waxworms. His eyes have also had some sort of film inside them, which me and the vet have been taking turns pulling out. It's kind of glued his eyes shut now, so he's blind most of the time. I know it's not shed skin or eye caps or anything because I'm always diligent about getting the extra bits of skin off my reptiles when they shed. So anyways, he went from 65 grams down to 45 grams and I'm feeding him this supplement every night. He's so skinny that I can see his little hip bones and even his spine :( My other gecko hasn't lost any weight, but he hasn't eaten in a few weeks and his eyes have the same film problem so he's practically blind, too.

It breaks my heart to see them like this because they were both so healthy just a year ago and theyre really not that old. And all the treatments I've had to give them has made them skittish and very afraid when I pick them up or make a loud noise, which has never happened in the past. I'm going to college in the fall, and I definitely won't be able to bring them with me but I don't really want to leave them with my mom and little sister to take care of. My sister is twelve and doesn't have the skills I have to get them to take the medicine and food supplement. My mom has talked to me about putting the really sick one down, but I don't want to do that unless I know it's absolutely necessary. I'm also scared that when I go away, one of them may get sick and my mom and sister either won't know how or won't want to handle the situation so they'll just go ahead and put him down. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'll take all the help I can get at this point...
justinm

Re: Leopard Gecko problems

Post by justinm »

Swelling of the eye sounds like a vitamin deficiency, maybe vitamin A. You could try using RepCal in the blue label. That's a multivitamin that you can dust cricket and superworms with. I will tell you that reptiles are very good at hiding illness. Generally by the time you can see symptoms the issues are too great to resolve.
kat herp

Post by kat herp »

Thank you! I've been using a vitamin dust but not recently since they havent been eating real food, and I don't know if it had vitamin A anyway. I'll try it
johneddington

Post by johneddington »

Small critters can be heck to treat in my opinion. Its tricky between the stress of the meds and the stress of the feeding. I'm not sure the extra supplements (if you are currently giving it meds) are so great. Only my opinion, but it could be extra stress on the kidneys at a vulnerable time.
Kind Regards,
John Eddington
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Kat - Did your vet do a culture - or just give a tube of broad spectrum ophthalmic?

Some eye (and surrounding tissue) infections are quite specific and some are caused by pathogens not targeted by say Terramycin ointment which is broadly used and even available with some hunting from animal dealers and other non veterinary resources. But antibiotics can instigate superinfections ,if not just dont work.

Personally I find tube feeding much more expedient in nourishing an animal not feeding. Its not much different than with a snake but if one isnt completely comfortable in doing it , its healing value is compromised by stress and possible bruising or aspiration of displaced liquids filling the throat and mouth. You know its done correctly if none at all is in the mouth when the tube is drawn out. If you bring him somewhere to show you keep that in mind.

If a culture wasnt suggested or taken , perhaps it may be a cue for a second opinion.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Kat - leos are strong. It is remarkable how they can bounce back with care. To give you hope I will give you a brief synopsis of one example :

A lady relinquished a leo who was lost in the garbage for several days. Her mother was mentally ill/superstitious and threw her in the garbage . She had both eyes sealed shut with caseated material. I put her on paper towels in a Very Simple 5 gallon tank where she was able to navigate without difficulty. I tube fed her a simple slurry of turkey baby food and enough vitamins and calcium to fulfill requirements - nothing more. I cannot tell you the medication I used with mine as it would not be responsible - but i cleansed her eyes every other day and tubed her every 3 days . The nourishment had a big part in her getting well. The material in her eyes changed in character becoming dryer and firmer - it came out neatly and cleanly in hardened clots never to return - with beautiful clear eyes beneath!! She spent the next week eating, looking and walking all over her cage and was graduated to a larger environment full of tunnels and step stones and a really posh humidity station . I loved her and named her Promise - because i promised the lady (who didnt speak much english) that she would never be homeless . The lady was worried she would be homeless . I never saw the lady again but Promise was adopted by an awesome young lady who cherishes her.

Wonderful things can happen . If you cant bring them with you - see if there are rescue resources available that will take them and continue treatment.

The line we draw in When to decide an animal must be put down can follow certain perimeters - If the animal cannot see or locomote - then he is living in fear - instinctively aware he is vulnerable to predation . Animals like dogs , cats , even birds are better able to assess feeling more secure when compromised in our care than reptiles are. Sometimes sad decisions have to be made . But if you have the time, if you can realistically - to try - go for it . But if her fear be prolonged - euthanization is a true form of compassion.
kat herp

Post by kat herp »

Thank ou so much, John and Kelly. No, the vet did not do a culture and yes, he gave me a broad spectrum opthalmic. That story of Promise is very inspiring! what did you use to cleanse her eyes with? I've been using a saline solution (different than the bottle I use for my contacts, don't worry :P). I have him on paper towels already because I didn't want any substrate to get stuck in his eyes or wounds (from when the abcesses came out). Is there anything else you would suggest I do? A second opinion may be hard to get, I've hunted around some already and it's very hard to find a reliable vet that treats herps
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Keep looking Kat . Maybe even call the zoo or a wildlife rehab/nature center in your area and see if they have a reference or can help.

When we earnestly try to help it is amazing how help can earnestly be returned. Especially with animal people.