Big Black Rats

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KevinS

Big Black Rats

Post by KevinS »

I got a nice big pair of Montgomery County, NC locality black rats recently. The female is about 5'8" and the male is 6'8" (and weighs just under 5 lbs!). The floor tiles in these pics are 1 ft square. Here's the girl:

Big boy:

When I first got him out of the shipping sack, he hit the floor and got behind some furniture. I chased him to the tv stand and he set up shop in the dvd storage space at the bottom and started rattling at me, so I snapped this pic.

Other than that, both have been very well behaved though and I'm glad to have them. Oh yeah, I got one of their daughters from last year too.

She won't be the only little black rat around here soon since the pair has already locked up for me. The seller told me not to be surprised if they bred as soon as they got here and sure enough, they went right at it.

I'm working on a big display enclosure for them right now. I've always had a soft spot for North American rats and find them to be very underrated in the hobby. I have a nice pair of bairds too and some leucistic black rats, but I think this locality pair is probably my favorite right now.
Nshepard

Re: Big Black Rats

Post by Nshepard »

Very nice Kevin. Black Ratsnakes are certainly underrated in the hobby. I have found a dozen or so Montgomery County, NC Black Ratsnakes and a few corns, interesting locale. Good luck with the breeding!
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Beautiful snakes!
monklet

Post by monklet »

Man, that big one is a serious whopper!!! :shock: Awesome!
justinm

Post by justinm »

I had a four year old male from that county once... He somehow got out of a locked tub, from inside a ripstop nylon sack. I never did find him. The only guy in the basement besides me would have been a cable guy. I don't know how he got out.

My male looked like yours, and was one of the meanest snakes I've ever kept.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm glad mine is even-tempered. He's big and strong enough that he'd probably outdo every other snake bite I've had to date. I recently had an ackie pull a mysterious vanishing act like what you mentioned. They're pricey little lizards to just disappear without a trace-hopefully I don't have any more experiences like that.
jeffpm

Post by jeffpm »

Dang. that male is a monster! I have a large female that I got as a hatchling in 1991 (21 years old!). Definately an overlooked species. I really like them.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

I love Black Rats! I have one at the museum that is closing in on 6 feet. He is an old snake 18-20 years old and black as coal. He isnt the friendliest snake. He has never bitten me but I wouldnt put it past him with someone that doesnt know how to handle him. They are funny snakes. Some just as cool and calm as corns but others remind me of black racers. He is kind of in between in temperament. I love him regardless!
woodsrunner

Post by woodsrunner »

Black rats are such stunning snakes. If they were rare, everyone would want one.