Russian rats(Elaphe schrencki)

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

Russian rats(Elaphe schrencki)

Post by Joseph S. »

Anyone have any stories/experience with these? I am going to be getting a pair soon. They were only cooled to the 60's in the winter but according to current owner show courtship behavior when placed together. He's currently keeping them seperate.

I'm thinking of keeping them together in a large cage or converted tall rubbermaid, something approx LWH 4 x 2 x 2. For a rubbermaid I was thinking of cutting a window and gluing in a plexiglass panel.

Also, it is interesting people seem to universally agree on their calm temperament. Wild specimens appear no different from our black rats as far as defensive behavior goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmt4AYKuujQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4tHa81EpTk
VICtort

Re: Russian rats(Elaphe schrencki)

Post by VICtort »

Joseph, I kept a pair obtained from Lloyd Lemke years ago. They were fun and easy, prolific breeders, and they thrived on a diet of rats with an occassional chick, fresh egg, bird for variety. I kept them at house temperature in Oroville, Ca., no particular effort to brumate/cycle them. I kept a trio together year around. I kept them in a vertically oriented cage, it was fun to see them take prey up into the branches, similar to a Chondropython... My male was just huge, it was very stout and over 7', impressive with velvet brown color and brilliant yellow labials. You will have fun with them and I found them to be inquisitive and alert, and never offering to bite. A good choice! Good luck, Vic
monklet

Post by monklet »

Very cool videos Joseph! Especially the Racoon Dog viddie ...although it didn't look good for the snake. The Racoon Dogs were a big surprise to me! Never heard of those before.

Another great source for Russian Rat info would be Tim Spuckler, who is a forum contributor as well as a breeder of that species.

Great input "Vic" ...that 7 footer sounds so impressive!
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I got bit by a friend's once, that's about all the experince I have with them :) awesome looking snakes though
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Interesting stuff Vic! I guess size must vary quite a bit. The male of the pair is over 5 ft, the female is not yet 5 ft, and they are both over 5 years old. I don't think they have much growing left to do. I recall seeing one of these at a reptile shop in Fresno a few years ago when snakes were only wishful thinking(for I think only $100 or so)-it was an impressive beast.

Paul: Was that a defensive or feeding bite?

Snake behavior is funny. Apparently Taiwan beauties in the wild have a reputation for being docile, but in captivity they have reputation for being somewhat head shy in the least and frequently snappy.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

defensive, not feeding. Quick bite and release. I got a bandage on it anyway because I was gonna help him clean out some Reeve's turtles he had--didn't want poop-water getting in the wounds.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I like them . I like their elegant spirit and the way they carry themselves.

There are plenty of snakes out there a person can play with like a shoestring. Personally when people decide to work with taeniura to get them tame and handleable I think its a shame. To me its much more of a pleasure and priviledge to have an animal regard me as a non threat in their own time and until then give me a little reason to pay attention.