so, Nerodia care again

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Paul White

so, Nerodia care again

Post by Paul White » May 29th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I got a removal call monday about a water snake that had taken up residence in a woman's pond (lady goes to wife's church). Apparently, it had started hanging out in the little side pocket for the filter, and they wanted it gone. I took it home, and don't have a good place to relocate her.

Definite female, kind of old looking, but not too godawful tempered for Nerodia. I'm just wondering about scenting--she's an adult, a good 30" or so in length, but I really, really don't want to have to hunt frogs for her all the time. Has anyoen had good luck getting adult nerodia on rodents or should I just do strips of fish?

VICtort

Re: so, Nerodia care again

Post by VICtort » May 29th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Paul, would't it be easy to grab a few small hooks, and a light rod and reel and some worms, and go catch a bunch of large minnows or small sunfish and freeze them? Perfect excuse to take a kid with you and turn him on to angling. Also, you could probably buy some fish if you are not an angler. However, you want small fish and feed the whole thing. Avoid smelt, which are the perfect size and shape, but they have thiaminase isssue if frozen. Maybe find a catfish hatchery and buy a bunch of small fingerling size ones? For me fish are easy and fun to get, and Nerodia would do fine on them. I have heard of them taking mice, but it required some conditioning and scenting, reenforcing. Good luck, BTW, what did you decide on the red eared slider?

justinm

Post by justinm » May 30th, 2012, 4:30 am

I used to keep Liophis, which are kind of like Nerodia only venomous... I used to feed them Black Convict cichlids and whatever else was brought into the local pet shop when people got rid of tanks. I would get a bucket full of fish for like 5 bux. I would then freeze them, then thaw them. I left a few in the large water dish every few days and they did really well like this.

Paul White

Post by Paul White » May 30th, 2012, 5:16 am

I don't have a nearby pond where fishing is legal; there's a city pond but it is catch and release, and of course state parks, but it is outright prohibited there.

ThomWild

Post by ThomWild » May 30th, 2012, 8:12 am

I don't know about adults but the younger nerodia I have switched to rodents do so with ease. I had to be careful not to over feed them because they became my garbage disposals when my other snakes wouldn't take their mice.

-Thomas

Paul White

Post by Paul White » May 30th, 2012, 8:52 am

That's at least encouraging.
I may buy a fish or gig a bull frog and scent with that for a while, starting next week.
I'm honestly not sure she's in the greatest shape; she feels kind of squishy for lack of a better word. Thank god for quarantine.

Don Becker

Post by Don Becker » May 30th, 2012, 12:50 pm

I had a big one when I was a teen that took to eating mice just fine. I didn't even scent them. I had her, and just kept trying to feed her, and after 2 months of not eating, I think she just got hungry enough that she took them. After that, she at like a pig. I have a little guy here now. He mostly eats feeder gold fish, just because I have to run to the pet store for crickets anyways. When I don't have anything that needs crickets, I had gotten him switched to scented mice. I have to really coat the mice with fish smell though, and usually leave a fish in the food dish with a mouse to get him to eat it. It's more convenient for me to feed him fish so I haven't pushed him too hard towards mice though.

justinm

Post by justinm » May 30th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Bait shops usually have minnows of all different sizes. I would freeze them thoroughly before using them.

ThomWild

Post by ThomWild » May 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Silversides that you get from pet stores are a good option also. They come pre-frozen and are especially potent in the fishy category. They can be a little pricey but I have never had a garter or nerodia turn one down, they also go quite far.

-Thomas

Paul White

Post by Paul White » May 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm

I'll try the silversides.

We don't really have baitshops around here; there used to be a decent one up at lake meredith before the lake dried up, but it's closed now. You can buy bait worms at walmart but that seems to be it.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » May 30th, 2012, 3:07 pm

TX state parks in the panhandle prohibit fishing? :shock:

Paul White

Post by Paul White » May 31st, 2012, 9:24 am

well, apparently I was wrong on that, following asking TPWD :oops:
It's still a bit of an issue--I don't know how much fish PDSP gets, and that's the only one within 2 hours drive.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » June 4th, 2012, 12:13 am

They have such big appetites its convenient to get fish from the store and keep a supply stackd in the freezer. After thawing you can drop a little crushed centrum down the split. Or some other supplement you like to provide what the organ meat would. I have had to feed some specimens feeder comets and they appeared to do fine but I would have preferred to do what Justin says with minnows. And i remember them eating rat pinkies occasionally which I wouldnt do today as Ive gotten soft.

They are great snakes and the ones I looked after seemed attracted to uvb light and a nice comfy hot spot. Haha Nerodia are such hedonists truly they drink deeply from the goblet of life. I hope you share some pics sometime