Getting teeth out

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

Getting teeth out

Post by justinm » July 6th, 2012, 8:34 am

Do you guys have any tips for getting teeth out of your fingers? I'm in a lot pain having fed some of the snakes. I had my son "helping" me and took a couple good bites. Now I have Ball Python and Rosy Boa teeth in my fingers and I can't get them out. It hurts like hell, thanks in advance.

Soopaman

Re: Getting teeth out

Post by Soopaman » July 6th, 2012, 8:40 am

Last tooth I had stuck in my finger was from a diamondback water snake. It stayed in for about a week and was embedded pretty well. Eventually the surrounding tissues pushed it out far enough so that I could scrape it loose with a fingernail.

If you don't want to wait for it to work itself out, you could take a sterilized needle and spread the tissue around the embedded tooth enough so that you can work the needle under the tooth and leverage it out.

Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover » July 6th, 2012, 8:49 am

Are they at the surface? I've had luck with duct tape (which also works well for glaucoids from prickely pear cactus). If not, I'd treat it like a sliver and try to dig it out. That said, sometimes they're just stuck - I've got a calcified spot on one of my nuckles where a Dumeril's boa bit me and left a tooth when I was in high school. Mean bugger, it was.

-Cole

VICtort

Post by VICtort » July 6th, 2012, 9:04 am

None of us wants to practice medicine without a license? I agree with Soopaman, If it was me I would get agressive with a sterile hypodermic needle and dig'em out. If it heals on the surface and stays sore within, it may work itself out as Soopaman described, but it could also lead to infection, the worst of which are game changers...you will regret not going to a M.D. sooner if it goes that way. I had a sea urchin spine run up under my fingernail, full length and break off, and I was crazy with pain. I was reluctant to go to the M.D. (stupid I know...), but when I finally did, it was wonderful because I had a local aneasthetic and he dug it out, literally tapping the sharp pointed forceps forcefully under my nail. It healed quickly after it was out. A sterlile hypo needle (with the ultrasharp, cutting edge chiseled point is much better than a typical sewing type needle) is a great tool to have around, I use them to remove ticks, redwood splinters, urchin spines, etc. Just think how good it will feel when it quits hurting! I would try to dig it out myself if they are not too deep, otherwise, quit fooling around and get a professionals help. What are your fingers worth...? Infections=a real bad road

I have indigos, and some are real agressive feeders/strikers. I like the plastic coated forceps for feeding them, these might be a good thing for your apparently agressive strikers...available at internet suppliers/reptile shows. I have been bitten so many times over the years, I have learned not to react/pull away, and it minimizes the trauma (i.e. broken teeth)to both the snake and myself.

good luck, Vic

Paul White

Post by Paul White » July 6th, 2012, 9:33 am

eventually my body pushes them close enough to the surface I can get tweezers and remove them. Sucks but it's better than leaving them in.

Don Becker

Post by Don Becker » July 6th, 2012, 9:49 am

I dig them out like splinters.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » July 6th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Like Cole somebody left one in my knuckle. Memorable bad spot and I dont know if it popped out or broke down but until it did it zzziiinged. We really could talk bites all day - some are quite funny. I took one in the face once - not as butch as it sounds it was only a small ATB but it bled like water.

I found an oxy tooth in my scalp. Walk in cage.

I like using forceps when I feed - neat and clean. Snakes naturally shed teeth while they feed but prematurely getting yanked can open an opportunity for stomatitis - especially in boas - and its needless drama for the snake.

Theres a tribe in the congo that considers a gorilla bite on the buttocks stigmata - it means you ran away.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » July 6th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Forceps - with snakes that are high strung rushers or tend to be defensive - if you turn them around and just place the closed handles in front of their face - nice and politely while you reach in to service cage, water bowl, grab a fecal bolus in a handful of bedding, check if moss is dry etc, the snakes attention is diffused - they arent threatened by them and they stay put and relatively calm. Perhaps slightly perplexed , at the most.

When I worked with boids I cared for sebae they learned when I touched them on the snout with the forceps they werent getting fed. Snakes dont really "Get" forcepts as an object. Its almost like using slight of hand. Its nice for captives to not get upset when they dont have to be.

* an interesting thing is that snakes dont seem to garner an association between the sight of forceps and food - but Lizards do

Snakes seem to not assess past larger form of the food, or my form offering it. But lizards notice the forcep. I sometimes feed them thawed this or that or dont want a certain food item to get away and they are more likely to take it if my hand is at a distance - especially if they are shy - like the chameleons. But if they catch sight of the forcep in my hand with no food they check it out in a very animated way if they are hungry. Snakes never do. Its like the forcep means nothing to them even if Im using them to feed every time. No comprende.

Is it because insects, and insect wings are reflective like the silver metal of the forcep? I dont think its simply a matter of posessing better vision lots of snakes have fairly good vision at close range. Sometimes the bearded dragons go after my keys too , as Im unlocking the front of their cage.

Nshepard

Post by Nshepard » July 8th, 2012, 2:31 pm

They eventually fall you, it 'fixes' itself.

justinm

Post by justinm » July 9th, 2012, 4:41 am

Thanks all. I got one out. I found that if my hands are wet, what I call pruny, they teeth stick out just enough to get them. I'm hoping to get more of them out. I have a Spider Ball Python, it has mental issues. I think most of them do though, they shouldn't be bred. Anyway, this one will normally miss the forceps intentionally I think, and then get the rat.

gbin

Post by gbin » July 9th, 2012, 5:40 am

Sounds like you've got the situation in hand, but if not, something that just occurred to me to try is a Sawyer Extractor. I can't imagine that the suction would actually remove the teeth, but maybe it would lift them out enough that they can be removed manually. And to make manual removal more easy, I like Cole's suggestion to use our old friend duct tape.

Gerry

Soopaman

Post by Soopaman » July 9th, 2012, 6:53 am

gbin wrote:Sounds like you've got the situation in hand...

Gerry
:lol: