A few of this year's hatchling milks

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Cole Grover

A few of this year's hatchling milks

Post by Cole Grover »

It's been a busy year with respect to both my work schedule and home improvement projects (a simple deck is a nightmare for a not-so-handy dude). In spite of my lack of time, I did manage to get a number of pairs of snakes together. As some of you may know, I specialize (basically to the exclusion of other species) in Lampropeltis triangulum, the milksnake, with a special penchant for animals with locality data. I keep both temerate and tropical forms, with those native to the western US my primary focus. The post here contains locality-pure gentilis and gentilisXmultistrata intergrades. Pardon some indoor shots and a lack of background variety - it's been roasting hot up here (113 degrees Fahrenheit in the city last Thursday) so my photo time has been limited. The post here contains locality-pure Lampropeltis triangulum gentilis and Lampropeltis triangulum gentilisXmultistrata intergrades. I'll post photos of other subspecies and localities (and maybe better photos of some of these) once outdoor conditions allow!

Anyway, here we go... Thanks for looking!
-Cole

Group 1:

Group 2:

Group 3:

ThomWild

Re: A few of this year's hatchling milks

Post by ThomWild »

John Vanek wrote:These are gorgeous, don't know how this post when so far with no comments!
I look at it everyday and am still working on picking my jaw up off the floor.

-Thomas
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yes indeed not only Spectacular in color/markings but big beefy all american kids!

I swear there is something so special about the white bands of these guys - it reminds me of Candy Coat Whips - that undertone of bright silver
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

I prefer the high color models but those high black are gorgous
gbin

Post by gbin »

Cole already knows how enthralled I am with the milksnakes he produces. ;) But you're right, John, we should have posted sooner to express our appreciation!

Awesome hatchlings, Cole!

Gerry
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Thanks, foks! They're "boring" to some people, being non-exotic critters and of small size, but I sure like them! All of the little buggers have shed now, including the 10 or 15 clutches not pictured here. The fun of getting them onto unscented domestic mouse (Mus) pinks has begun! It seems like about 20-25% recognize them as food, while the others need some coaxing.

I'll post some new (and hopefully better!) photos of a few of these guys as well as some of the others not pictured in this first bit once I get the chance.

Thanks,
-Cole
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Those are very nice, Cole. I like that one on the rocks with all the black. Reminds me of an anery zonata. :thumb:
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Thanks, Ross! I know what you mean - pretty unique.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

If some of these hatchlings will be available, I am EXTREMELY interested in the high black milks from group 3.

Gorgeous milks all around. Nothing beats locality NA triangulum.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Cole,

I just realized that I hadn't said how nice these animals are. You have some gems that I'm really jealous of.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

hmm gentilis.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Justin,
Thanks for the kind words. I really dig that they're small, so they don't take up much space, and present some challenge in getting them to reproduce and feed. They're a lot of fun!

Paul,
Just let me know when you're ready! LOL They'll be a change from the retics, that's for sure!

Zach,
I couldn't agree more! Thanks for the post. I'll shoot you a PM.

-Cole