Mold and Snakes

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Mold and Snakes

Post by Zach_Lim » September 8th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Quick question to ease my paranoia.

I was cleaning a gartersnake tank today and placed the specimen in (black mold) due to the moisture of the damp sphagnum.

After cleaning (about 15 minutes), I removed the snake and placed it into a fresh, clean tank. That is when I noticed that it had been sitting in a tub with mold!

Will said snake be ok? Anyone else experience something with mold and herps?

I don't use aspen...I am a cypress guy. With cypress, you can place damp sphagnum on it and never worry about mold....

Thanks
Zach

Kelly Mc

Re: Mold and Snakes

Post by Kelly Mc » September 8th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Mycology and disease is so vast and complex, it has its own category in veterinary curriculum, and its also one of those questions that could possibly be better answered by a biologist with much fungi knowledge - than a herpetologist!

In nature there is much contact with species of molds and fungi, but the difference is being in a closed system.

Snakes jacobsons is acute and it not only helps the snake find sustenance and a mate , but is a survival tool. If an immediate environment is incompatable with health, survival, a snake easily evacuates.

An animals resistance to unfavorable organic contaminant, is what the immune system is all about. Its job is to attack enevitable contact with bacteria, viuses , mold spores etc. Many constantly enter the body , yet do not become pathogenic.

There are many types of fungal infections that herps get that are acquired invisibly - without an obvious Moldy Source. And perhaps there are some species that are virulent that are easy to see but I suspect they are the esoteric exception rather than the rule. I had something happen once with a neo corn in a sweaterbox that upset his water and a very enveloping foamy mold developed in what coulnt have been more than 6 days. The snake - refused its next meal and died the next. But it was Highly Unusual, in my experiance with many little bins of baby snakes kept in same cabinet.

If I were you I would not be too worried but note the conditions that spurred its occurrance so you can avoid it in future.

Proactive measures that encourage a strong immune system are a good response to concern over any event of potential negative impact. Warm him up a little warmer, feed him a little more, and make sure hes happy. With thamnophis personally I strongly believe basking under some uvb plays a role.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » September 8th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Zach_Lim wrote:Quick question to ease my paranoia.

I was cleaning a gartersnake tank today and placed the specimen in (black mold) due to the moisture of the damp sphagnum.

After cleaning (about 15 minutes), I removed the snake and placed it into a fresh, clean tank. That is when I noticed that it had been sitting in a tub with mold!
If the snake was in the moldy tub for 15 minutes I would not be concerned.

You are truly one of the most conscientious keepers Ever :thumb:

Paul White

Post by Paul White » September 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm

I sometimes get mold my on my cypress mulch, but I just chunk that mulch and don't stress about it. It never has seemed to hurt anything.