dor's for feeders

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nature Nate

dor's for feeders

Post by Nature Nate » December 3rd, 2012, 4:10 pm

I've been collecting all the dor snakes that I've found during the late summer/fall period and freezing them as feeders for my kings. Unfortunately my kings don't seem too keen on them compaired to, mice. What are your experiences with this method? Also, since my snakes are down for the winter and the snakes in the freezer take up so much room I need to get rid of them so whoever is in the SD area and could use some frozen Helleri, gophers, kings, etc give me a pm

VICtort

Re: dor's for feeders

Post by VICtort » December 3rd, 2012, 4:21 pm

That is great offer, I wish I was not in the midst of moving or I would be all over it. Yes, I am well aware of the potential to transfer parasites etc. However, I have been lucky I guess, and I freeze fresh looking DOR's for several months before feeding as part of a varied and diverse diet for my indigos. They really do like snakes, they get very excited for them, and given the remarkable enthusiasm and apparent "knowledge" on how to deal with them, one can only wonder if snakes may be a very important item in a wild indigos diet as many of us have speculated. An indigo that has never eaten a snake before seemingly recognizes them as a prey item immediately, and they commence to biting the heads and stretching the prey, "killing" the dor as if they had done it a million times. I guess you don't have to teach a spider to weave a web...

I had fecals done on 5 of my indigos a year ago, and I am happy to report they came back very "clean", a real concern knowing I had fed them all dor snakes many times.

My indigos eat the species you mentioned with gusto...and I am sure the Mussurana folks would say the same, so they will probably contact you.

It just grieves me to find dor wildlife, and somehow I feel less bad about it when I can put it to some practical use. I don't know if they would do it or not, having some fairly strict protocols, but maybe the SDZ or LA Zoo would want them for king cobra food? Maybe you could get a couple free passes to the zoo? It wouldn't hurt to call and ask...
good luck, Vic

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » December 3rd, 2012, 11:47 pm

I wouldn't even think of contacting the zoo with this offer. I have friends there and they won't let anybody into the reptile house who has had recent contact with a wild reptile recently. One guy told me that there is a rivalry between the reptile house and the bird house because the bird guys use live wild-caught lizard feeders for some of their birds and some of them escape and make it over to the reptile house. Something tells me that they wouldn't appreciate the offer.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » December 4th, 2012, 6:31 am

i would be more worried with someone who has contact/breeds large scale CB

Think of what they could bring back from their little drawers.

VICtort

Post by VICtort » December 4th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Good points...I know they have protocols and inspite of them, problems arise. I have personally seen Anolis in the vegetation around the reptile house...I have also seen "wild" Sceloporus and of course hundreds of wild birds mixing with the zoo animals...but of course what you have are frozen and thawed from the wild source, not sure how the zoo protocols would find a "safer" source. There is risk everywhere you look, as captive bred and wild both may harbor surprises, and rodents also... Vic

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » December 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

If you pick up DORs but your kingsnakes don't want them:

1. Record locality info for each DOR as you collect it.
2. Deposit in college/museum collections.
3. Continue feeding mice to your kingsnakes.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » December 4th, 2012, 7:05 pm

chris_mcmartin wrote:If you pick up DORs but your kingsnakes don't want them:

1. Record locality info for each DOR as you collect it.
2. Deposit in college/museum collections.
3. Continue feeding mice to your kingsnakes.
I already have all the info in the HERP databse for each individual and I don't want it to be repeated by someone who is trying to expand the database by incorporating specimens from museum records. Also, can you name one museum/college that would want them? I know the SD natural history museum is downsizing and with the current buget cricsis I don't know if the collages want to store more stuff. Then again, maybe they need more specimens since they can't buy more. I'll ask the head of the eco dept. at my school tomorrow if he wants them.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » December 4th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Never hurts to ask. Even mundane, common-as-dirt species can have value for providing a snapshot of what those species were like at that location at that time. I can only speak from the perspective of TX, where several institutions desire DORs (provided they're legally collected, which currently means you must have a Scientific Collection Permit :( ), and I've turned in one DBL (Dead By Lake) timber rattlesnake up here in Kansas to the Sternberg Museum (long drive for me, but we made a family trip of it).

simpleyork

Post by simpleyork » December 4th, 2012, 9:41 pm

wish I was closer, as my Monitors are always hungry.

BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl » December 6th, 2012, 11:50 pm

DOR snakes are a regular part of my indigos' and cribos' diet.

I'd be happy to take them off your hands, but I'm up in the LA area.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate » December 7th, 2012, 3:37 pm

found a taker on the forum and at my school! Thanks for the responses!

VICtort

Post by VICtort » December 7th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Nate, inquiring minds want to know...what will your person getting the dor's do with them? What species will they be fed to or are they going for other uses, i.e. dissection/ preservation,taxonomy, other? Vic

keepergale

Post by keepergale » December 9th, 2012, 7:10 am

Hey Vic It was me. Thanks for the tip. The indigos will appreciate the added variety to their diet. :thumb:
gale