600 reptiles and nearly 20,000 rodents Euthanized

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dan Krull

600 reptiles and nearly 20,000 rodents Euthanized

Post by Dan Krull »

Herp Nation did an investigation into the raid on Global Captive Breeders. We interviewed PETA, and the first responders who were there on the scene to ensure our information was up to date and accurate. You can listen to the story at this link:

http://www.herpnation.com/audio/hn-spec ... stigation/

Thanks,

Dan Krull
Herp Nation Media
Ross Padilla

Re: 600 reptiles and nearly 20,000 rodents Euthanized

Post by Ross Padilla »

Its hard to believe people can be that irresponsible.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yes it is. And to think the proprietors of this and other "Facilities" began their enterprises because they like reptiles.

This is not to be tolerated or ignored. As well as the treatment of feeder animals - from their husbandry to the dubious methods they are fed out in private - which often is tantamount to torture, or at least a lack of skill and observance, is a litmus stain.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

This seems like a pretty open/shut deal... and fully 'justified', although the idea of Peta having undercover 'agents' is somewhat disconcerting.

On the other side of the coin, however, are the horror stories like the one I'm currently going through...
Someone called my city's Animal Control and reported I had hots in unsafe conditions. They (AC) along with Code Enforcement, Building/Safety, Health/Welfare and LOTS of police served a search warrant on my house and searched every sq in of my property, inside and out.
Not one single animal-related violation... everything clean, healthy and well-kept (including mice/rats). No hots or bag limit problems (only 1 wc native rosy... everything else CB and non-native) Zip. Nada. Nothing.

So now... they got 30 people combing my property for anything illegal while scratching their heads wondering just HOW they're going to justify this multi-agency expenditure of manpower, and keep 'heads from rolling'... :roll:

They decide they smell a gas leak in my kitchen, and claim they don't want to send the Gas Co in, to find it..." cause there might be rattlesnakes loose in the kitchen cupboards" :shock:

Then... instead of just turning off the gas, at my meter... they inform me that they are having my meter removed, and declaring my house 'uninhabitable'... so, of course... Now all my animals will have to be taken.... Warrant 'justified' :roll:

Cost me every cent I had, to pull gas/air test permits, prove to the city there are no leaking pipes, get my meter reset, and pay all the boarding charges to AC, to get my animals back, for the week I spent sleeping in my car. I was not allowed on MY property, without meeting Code Enforcement every morning, to get a permission slip to be there, to do the stuff they wanted done, and would be arrested if caught on my property, outside the permission slip hours (9-5) :!:
Back in my house now, with all my animals returned (except my pet-grade Rats/Mice) which they fed to the snakes. :(
My Mortgage and all my monthly bills remain unpaid, and here I sit, with 88 cents in my account, no work available, (due to the holidays) wondering which utility (including internet access) will get shut off first... :roll: And a 16 yr old dog with kennel cough, that I can't afford to take to the vet... :(

So yeah... for every 'justified' raid out there... there are probably a bunch of stories like mine, where the 'authorities' are more concerned with keeping their jobs, than seeing 'justice served'... :roll:

Friends ‘in the know’ pm’d me to tell me the Fed’s are investigating me, and people I know, and are preparing to raid me (and my friends)… for having Gilas…. Which is just ludicrous. Obviously… news of my ‘problems’ are circulating through the ‘grapevine’ and are getting exaggerated... so I thought I'd let folks know what actually happened. :roll:

Funny thing is… had I not been an officer for Nafha, and ultra cautious about so much as bending any herp laws, (just in case something like this happened)… who knows what they may or may not have found. So yeah… being a Nafha member is more than just collecting data, and the things you say online… It becomes part of who you are, and how you live your life… :|
Happy Holidays, everyone... jim
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Helli,
That is truly horrifying.
Praying/hoping for a swift and happy resolution to your nightmare.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Kelly Mc wrote:... And to think the proprietors of this and other "Facilities" began their enterprises because they like reptiles.
That's the part that always gets me, too. :o
hellihooks wrote:On the other side of the coin, however, are the horror stories like the one I'm currently going through...
Wow, Jim, I'm terribly sorry you've been going through such an ordeal! Sounds like it's all because you've a neighbor who's upset about your herp collection or doesn't like you for some other reason, too. At least you didn't lose all of your animals to neglectful/inappropriate care during their confiscation, which has happened with some frequency.

Listen, I'm sure none of us here is wealthy, but that doesn't mean we can't chip in as best we're able to help out a long-time member of our community who's in distress. You should bring your story to the main board so everyone knows about it, and create a paypal account that would enable us to help you with small donations. That approach helped Ryan Hoyer at least a bit when he suffered through his unwarranted legal problems, I believe. (And it's a great way to stop your story from being distorted.) Seriously, everybody needs help now and then, and providing such help is part of what our being a community is about.

Once you do manage to scratch a bit of money together, I hope you plan to spend some consulting a lawyer. S/he might be able to help you recover some of what you already lost as well as protect you from losing more.

Really, amigo, my sympathy and hope for your better fortune!

Gerry
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thats messed up Jim. Gbins right we love you and are here to help. I have always been the kind of person who lived real lean and could just tuck and roll, if it werent for having the animals to worry about. When people have children, others rally instinctively to help, and there are also set resources. But animal dependents pose a very different quandry - many here know that quandry.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Helli, I'd start looking for a lawyer if you can document what you're claiming. Lawsuit time.
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Jim I am late to the game here (grad school is hell) but as was said earlier - get a good lawyer. If your report is accurate heads should roll over this. and furthermore EVERY member in this community should step up with whatever skills they have to both help you AND bring this story out of obscurity ville and push it up the media ladder. Thats where these horror stories need to be....our little forum is nice for posting pics etc...but the remaining 99% of humanity do not visit this site. When people see bogus implementation of the law and realize they are just as susceptible as you, change will happen. This sounds as bad as Ryan H's debacle....
Good luck!
regalringneck

Re: an if a whipsnake comes along...

Post by regalringneck »

... l8te ... ewe must whip it ... :p

... mebbe ewe otta ck out viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14522&start=0
b4 ewe start musking about in this thread ...