pipping and popping!

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nature Nate

pipping and popping!

Post by Nature Nate »

For those of you who like to read as much as look at pictures here is the back story of this breeding endeavor:

This year I successfully bred, for the first time, some kings I rescued from a site that was slated for bulldozing last year. This was my first successful breeding of kings. I'm a boa guy so I was just getting my feet wet with the whole egg thing but I'm really pleased with the results. Have three stripers, one male and two female, one of the females is a triple stripe with a belly that could belong to a banded king, and the other male was a chocolate brown and gold banded with a yellow belly, almost no banding or pattern on the belly like a normal banded king. Unfortunately I had to take the striper female out of brumation early to treat some health issues so she wasn't able to produce anything this year but I did pair the chocolate banded yellow belly male with the triple stripe yellow belly female and got 7 eggs, 6 of which were fertile.

The babies came out 4 stripped and 2 banded. Both banded neos had normal banded belly patterns and three of the stripers had black bellies! Some of you know my fasciation with black bellied kings. It is one of my favorite kingsnake genes. Not all the kings had full black bellies but three out of the four had over 80% black belly. The one yellow belly came out with a partial zig-zag dorsal stripe. Also I think I figured out that black bellies aren't a gene, but rather the lack of the yellow belly gene. Debate on this is welcome. I have some more evidence if you want to talk about it.

The saddest part is that one of the bandeds, the least colorful or distinguished individual of the bunch, was deformed. How Common is this? I once had a kinked back in one of my Kenyan boas but it smoothed out later and was indistinguishable but this guy can't even slither. He just writhes in the same spot of the cage. I just finished helping him with his first shed since he couldn't even do that on is own. I'll see if he can eat, but if not I guess that he's going to be dragon fodder.

The mother:

The father:

Here's the best Black belly, the only yellow is after the "belly button":

and the next:

and the next:

The the only yellow belly, (with zig-zag gene?)

The pretty banded who has even more yellow showing now than he did when the picture was taken after his first shed:

And then this poor guy (he hadn't shed yet when I took the picture):

And then there were Boas!

Some of you remember my post a few months back when I took my female rosy to be X-rayed (post was titled "My poor baby" on this forum. Well "Surf-n-herp" Jeff guessed right! Seven babies from one rosy! Jeff wins a free baby! All of them are beautiful little buggers with attitude! They are available so let me know if you are interested. It's my way of relieving the pressure/demand on the wild population. If you would have collected a rosy from the wild I'd be happy to give you one of mine (Poway locality). If you know of anyone else who is wanting to collect a rosy as a pet let me know and hopefully one of my babies will suffice instead.

some of the prettier babies:

repaphin

Re: pipping and popping!

Post by repaphin »

Beautiful Kings! You can Definitely tell they are from San Diego! That male is my favorite!
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Thanks for the baby rosy Nate! I'll do my best to raise it up properly.

I really like your photos of the kings on glass to show both the back and belly patterns at the same time!

Jeff
justinm

Post by justinm »

Some beautiful babies, the kink is really something else. The rosies have me thinking that I might like them, they're nice looking.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, some awesome kings and rosies there. I really like the black belly stripers. The banded is nicer than average too. That one banded with the yellow belly is kind of rare. :thumb: