Anole/Polymer Crystal Post Mortem

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Anole/Polymer Crystal Post Mortem

Post by Kelly Mc » January 26th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Here is a photo of the anole I was referring to in the Peat thread. A clients cherished little pet, as she was found as a juvenile when they unpacked their bags from a trip to Belize.

Water crystals were put in the animals environment for the crickets, and a particle was ingested by the anole, which expanded as it absorbed fluids.

Kfen

Re: Anole/Polymer Crystal Post Mortem

Post by Kfen » January 28th, 2014, 9:29 am

I have never used those water crystals, but aren't you supposed to rehydrate them before you give them to your feeders? Wouldn't it have already been in gel form in the tank?

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » January 28th, 2014, 10:16 am

You cannot 'count on them' ceasing to expand. They should be kept away from potential vertebrate ingestion.

They will also clog plumbing which is why I forbade them from being used with our cricket routine, because I kept finding bits in the sink after ppl serviced the water pans.

I don't care for them, many people do like them and use them. If you do, don't put them in your lizards cage.

Safer, and actually nourishing alternatives for sustaining live insects in a herp vivarium are available, or can be easily, conveniently appropriated. One of my favorites is making a paste out of fish flake, or turtle pellets and a little water.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » January 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Kelly Mc wrote:You cannot 'count on them' ceasing to expand.
Plus, they dehydrate and shrink back down to pellet size, and can be re-hydrated over and over. Potentially a good thing if you're watering inverts, but not for animals big enough to ingest the pellets.
Safer, and actually nourishing alternatives for sustaining live insects in a herp vivarium are available, or can be easily, conveniently appropriated. One of my favorites is making a paste out of fish flake, or turtle pellets and a little water.
I'm a fan of Repashy's Bug Burger. Crickets I've kept didn't seem to care for it, but the dubia roaches really chow down. Hydration + nutrition = convenience.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » February 6th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Thanks Kelly. I don't keep anything that eats bugs but this is an informative post.

Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini » February 7th, 2014, 9:48 am

I've always been suspicious of products like that, though I do understand the appeal when using them with inverts.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » July 11th, 2014, 12:30 am

Ah ha - I knew Repashy's Bug Burger was mentioned somewhere around here.. :!:

So I've been meaning to try it, and I did, and its pretty good. Actually very good, its easy and fast to make, and has a healthy, well founded looking formula, ingredients wise. Its real food, not a gimmick.

I have wanted to make something good like this for my insect feeders, but couldn't get the texture right. The bug burger has a great user friendly texture, moist and soft, but east to handle and not messy at all.

All stages of crickets from pins to 6 wkrs clustered on it within minutes, albeit other food and water in the bins. My dubia are still pending review, but they seem to be daintier feeders overall, but they've been kept not as warm lately because of some room rearrangement issue, so when that gets resolved we will get more accurate opinion from them. But, I want to feed them this stuff, its good. Its really refreshing and lovely when a commercial product comes through like this. So thought I would concur with Chris, share my :thumb: