desiccation as a disinfectant

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kfen

desiccation as a disinfectant

Post by Kfen »

Taking this from a different topic.

I have heard of using desiccation as a means of disinfection, but how would you go about doing that? How "dry" does something have to get? Leaving it out in the 40 degree garage in winter for a couple of weeks? Leaving something next to the radiator/hot air vent/electric baseboard? Putting the oven on low heat with the door open? Sealing it in a bag with silica beads? How would you know your item is "clean"?
Joseph S.

Re: desiccation as a disinfectant

Post by Joseph S. »

This depends on your pathogen of interest...many have a resting spore or otherwise can tolerate this and this will prove ineffective.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Joseph S. wrote:This depends on your pathogen of interest...many have a resting spore or otherwise can tolerate this and this will prove ineffective.

You beat me to it...although, as Dave Barry would say, either "Pathogens of Interest" or "The Resting Spores" would be a good name for a rock band.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Joseph S. wrote:This depends on your pathogen of interest...many have a resting spore or otherwise can tolerate this and this will prove ineffective.

You beat me to it...although, as Dave Barry would say, either "Pathogens of Interest" or "The Resting Spores" would be a good name for a rock band.
:thumb: Hey 'Desiccation' could open for them :D

about using desiccation alone, i think it would be difficult to achieve a level that would be reliable at home, probably. But using it in a combo of approach could be doable, if you can. Baking stuff can be really hard on materials though. And its hard to part with a great piece of wood sometimes.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

This is exactly the opposite of desiccation but why stay on topic?

How effective are the sterilize settings on a dishwasher or washing machine?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

That would be awesome to know!