Stolen Tortoises-- BOTH tortoises now recovered!

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Berkeley Boone

Stolen Tortoises-- BOTH tortoises now recovered!

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Hey everyone-
I have had an adult pair of Asian Brown Tortoises, Manouria emys emys stolen from my collection in Georgia. They are part of the Turtle Survival Alliance breeding group, and have microchips in them. The male is about 15 inches long and almost 18 pounds, and has a blue "C" painted on his carapace. The female is about 18 inches long and 30 pounds, and has a pink "B" painted on her carapace. The lengths are guesses, unfortunately, but the weights are accurate. They are pretty much just your standard Asian Brown torts, but there are some individual characteristics to the shells should the paint get scrubbed off.
They were stolen in the last week, and there is evidence that whomever has done this has come back at least one more time. If anyone sees any adult Manouria being offered for sale, I would appreciate being notified.

I've already contacted the police and filed a report, Animal Control, the local zoo and nature center, the UGA vet school, various pet stores, and sent emails to some herp societies, as well as to some people on another herp-related forum who had posted they were looking for adult Manouria to buy. If you all would continue to spread the word for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

This pisses me off beyond belief.

Thanks for reading this, and for keeping an eye and an ear out for me.
--Berkeley
soulsurvivor

Re: Stolen Tortoises

Post by soulsurvivor »

You mentioned a forum. Did you post about this on the Tortoise Forum? They also have a facebook page. I think that should be the best way to get the word out. I'm sorry this happened to you. I have torts as well and often worry about the possibility of them getting stolen. I hope you get yours back!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

This pisses me off beyond belief.
Understood totally, Berk.

Let's hope these slime balls are caught. For me, of all the herps, tortoises stir the most emotion.

In addition to the illegal pet trade, I was told by a LEO that the illegal trade in their shells for asian "medicine" has been linked with some drug pipelines.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It really is not only angering but it makes you really worry about your guys.

The good news is, these types of bad people often have no real conception of how small a world the pet/herp community is, and I have known of many successful returns. Making those contacts like you have done.

Chelonians also, are attractive to many people who don't like other reptiles at all, so be sure to contact pet places that aren't herp oriented.

Thieves are so dumb - a guy once stole a baby Meyers Parrot from another store and tried to sell them to us, our store located only 6 BLOCKS from the other store. Plus we all knew each other for years. So stupid.

I hope you get your guys back quick Berkeley, and I really think you will!

My prayers for their safe return ~*~
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Damn, that sucks Berkeley.

Do you have any photos of your pair for those of us not familiar with that species? I can post some thing on the UGA herp society facebook page if you want, in case any of those guys see something pop up locally. Where they stolen from you house?

-Kevin
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Thanks Bree, Bill, Kelly and Kevin.

The forum I was referring to was one that has an extensive classifieds section. I have not posted anything on the Tortoise Forum personally, but my friend Sheryl posted something for me there since she has an account. I did not know about the Facebook page for that forum, I'll have to go check it out.

Kelly- your story was pretty entertaining. It really does amaze me how people that are so dumb can get away with stuff like this periodically. Obviously, I do hope to regain the animals. My hope though is to put as much information out there about them as possible so it will make it very difficult (for someone with a good conscience, at least) to buy or obtain these tortoises. Hopefully, leaving the only option to return the animals.

Kevin, I do have some pictures I can send you. I'll see about getting them to you tonight. I've emailed John M about it and he said he would keep an ear out, but if you could distribute the pics for me on the FB page, that would be great.

Thanks for the condolences, all.
--Berkeley
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Berkeley, Burmese tortoises are special. You know it, and we know it, but who ever stole the tortoises may possibly have No Idea what species they are.

It is not to say that there are no unsavory characters in the collectors realm, but the possibility for more plebeian motive of opportunity is very real. Sweep broadly!
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Here are a couple of photos of the male, just as a reference for Asian Browns. And yes, Kevin, these guys were taken from the house (forgot to reply to that earlier). You can see that blue "C" on the carapace. This was after it was fairly recently applied; it is a little duller and somewhat chipped now, but still apparent.

ImageManouria emys by bwboone, on Flickr

ImageManouria emys by bwboone, on Flickr

I'm sweeping as broadly as I can, Kelly!
--Berkeley
Berkeley Boone

Re: Stolen Tortoises-- UPDATE!

Post by Berkeley Boone »

UPDATE!

The female has been located. :thumb: She was found wandering through someone's yard this afternoon, and the homeowner called the police about a 'gigantic turtle' walking in her yard. They went out and picked her up, and were able to get in touch with me to let me know they had her secured.

The male is still unaccounted for. I am hoping perhaps a similar turn of events will happen for him and bring him back home, too. I don't know if she was 'released' or if she escaped, but either way, I am glad to have one of them back in my possession now.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers! Here's to hoping I can get the male back as well.
--Berkeley
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

That is awesome!! Crossing my fingers you get your male back as well!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

That would be a nice outcome. Are there kids in the neighborhood? About 20 years ago some neighbor kids who knew I kept my box turtles in my backyard apparently took them out of their enclosure to look at them, and didn't put them back. Two turtles were never recovered, but thankfully the two I'd had the longest were still in the yard. I still have those two--and have had them since 1983 and 1984 respectively.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Thanks Bree and Chris!

I'm pretty excited about this turn of events, and rejuvenated mentally, that the male may be recovered as well. There are kids in the neighborhood, and a thought like that had crossed my mind, but I really think it was someone older (read that as 'someone that can drive') because you can't carry a kicking, 30 pound tortoise real far.
Great story about your box turtles, and very encouraging. I'm sorry that not all of them were recovered, but like you said, that is wonderful that the two you had the longest were still there.

--Berkeley
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Glad to hear that there is at least some good news here. I always worry about theft. It was bad enough that I had to secure all of my outdoor turtles against raccoons after many years with no problems (lost 5 to them two summers ago), I'd hate to have to deal with the human factor.
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Just out of curiosity, how far away was the Tortoise?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

It is so great things are looking up.

I feel bad that current negative events with captives made some of us, me at least, jump on the negative potential outcome from the first. It says much when a relative optimist starts off negative.

Hopefully all will be resolved.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Great news about finding your female! Hope the male is recovered as well!
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Sorry, yall, didn't mean to leave those who had commented hanging. I've been away from the computer for a few days. Thanks for the continued thoughts, Sam, mwentz, Bill and Bethany.

Yeah Sam, theft is something that had always been in the back of my mind having worked at nature centers and running a zoo for a while. I am hopeful this will be a teaching moment.

I'm glad I found at least the female. She was the one that I was most worried about recovering.

And yes, Bill, I, too, consider myself a relative optimist, and automatically thought I would never see either of them again. Unfortunately, that has been mostly my experience at the aforementioned places when animals disappear.

mwentz, the tortoise was found within the same neighborhood. I think the guy that found her really did just find her, and not have anything to do with her disappearance.

No other developments as of yet. I'm still looking for the male, and I keep hoping he will turn up. I appreciate all the continued thoughts and prayers!
--Berkeley
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Good to hear one is back. Never give up hope for the second. Here are two stories for you to give you hope. I had a 3 toed box turtle that went missing for several YEARS before I refound it in my backyard. This was in a suburban neighborhood with small lots.

A friend of mine lost an Asian rat snake in his house in Massachusetts in the fall. Someone from his neighborhood found a strange snake in their yard in the spring and called the local Herp club that my friend belongs too. He got it back. Not sure if the snake stayed in his house all winter and then got out, or got out and found somewhere to hibernate outside. Either way it was pretty amazing.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Thanks Kfen. That's interesting about the Asian rat story- wow! Glad he got that back, how cool. I actually had the same thing happen with one of my three toed boxes a few years back- it had gotten out of its pen and was gone for almost three years, then just last fall as I was cleaning pens, found it wandering next to a fence and still inside the backyard.
--Berkeley
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Berkeley Boone wrote: mwentz, the tortoise was found within the same neighborhood. I think the guy that found her really did just find her, and not have anything to do with her disappearance.

--Berkeley

I wasn't implying anything nefarious with the guy that found her :) If found more than a mile or two, I was just thinking that it was good luck to get the female back so soon.
Berkeley Boone

Re: Stolen Tortoises-- BOTH tortoises now recovered!

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Great news! The male tortoise was recovered tonight! A friend of a friend found it wandering through his yard. It was found on the same street, just a couple of houses down from where the female was found. The friend was able to call me directly, so I went to pick him up just a little bit ago.
I'm very relieved, and just incredulous that I was able to recover both of them, and without any apparent harm. Thanks for all the continued good thoughts and prayers here.
As soon as I am able, I'll get them cleaned up and pose 'em for some portraits.

oh, and mwentz, I knew you weren't implying anything with the guy that found the female. I just put that statement in there for general purposes because a couple other people whom I told when the first tortoise was located asked if that was the person that took them. Figured I'd just head that 'thought-train' off at the pass for others who may read this thread. :)

Thanks again everybody for all the assistance. Let's hope this doesn't happen again, with anyone's collection! Just another reason that herpers and herpkeepers need to work together!
--Berkeley
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

:thumb: told ya
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Awesome! That's a great feeling!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Fantastic!
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Great news Berkeley!!!!
Berkeley Boone wrote: Just another reason that herpers and herpkeepers need to work together!
YES^
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I am so happy that you got both torts back.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Great news
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I think someone was using them as doorstops... not realizing they would walk away.... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: glad you got them back... :thumb: jim
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Great news! I'm glad to hear you got them back. To celebrate I will share a couple of pictures of my Asian black tortoise (Manouria emys phayrei) :)

mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Congrats on the recovery of the male! He just wouldn't ask directions, while the girl got tired of wandering around in cirlcles, and left him.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Thanks yall! I am still pretty excited. I'm just glad everything worked out.

Sam, those are some good looking phayrei! Thanks for sharing.
mwentz wrote:Congrats on the recovery of the male! He just wouldn't ask directions, while the girl got tired of wandering around in cirlcles, and left him.
That's hilarious! And probably true..... ;)
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Berkeley Boone wrote:Sam, those are some good looking phayrei! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Berkeley. There is actually just the one though. Two pictures of the same animal about a year apart. The second picture shows the new growth rings. It's probably a male but I am not 100% sure on that. Two people who's opinions I trust have given opposite answers. He's about 8 to 9 inches SCL and 5 to 7 pounds, so quite a bit smaller than your browns.

I love the big spikes on their legs that give them the sometimes used common name "six-legged tortoise"

rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

Is the conclusion that they escaped? If so, it might be a reminder to all keepers to check their enclosures today, make sure nothing's gotten loose/vulnerable over time. For the tortoises' sakes, it makes no difference to their welfare whether a kid lifted them out of the pen and released them, or they got out under the owner's care.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Sam-
Gotcha! I see it now- I had just assumed that they were photos of two different tortoises with the difference in scute growth. I too, love those big ol' spurs. The two Brown's names are Leik Balu (female) and Chae Chauk Chaung Leik (male). Those are the Burmese terms for the species, that mean 'turtle with six feet'.
I would like to get some phayrei, but I would probably be eaten out of house and home. Maybe one day, after I win the lottery. HA!

rtdunham- no, I am certain that they were stolen. I am in the yard every day, and do scans of the fences to make sure they are secure. They have been in this enclosure for nearly three years. I find it incredibly unlikely that both of them would decide to escape within a week of each other after that amount of time. There was also evidence that the gate/lock had been tampered with.

You still had sound advice for everyone- to be sure to check all outdoor enclosures regularly to ensure they are intact.

Thanks again, everyone!
--Berkeley
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I thought about your tortoises everyday since you first reported them gone, such treasures those guys are, like living primordial monuments. That they are still citizens of Earth makes me feel hope somehow.

Yep I think it was the new "ownership" that took the tortoises who completely underestimated their ability to escape ordinary yard confines :D