Western Fence Lizard Nest

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

connie3140

Western Fence Lizard Nest

Post by connie3140 »

Hello,

A couple of nights ago I found a female western fence lizard laying eggs in a small bed off my patio in Rancho Bernardo (San Diego). I want to keep the nest and eggs safe. It's a small bed with mostly dirt and a thin layer of fine mulch. About two feet from where she laid her eggs is a small rose bush and on the other side of the nest is a bird of paradise in a pot.

Can I water the rose bush? Should I moisten the soil where she laid her eggs? This bed is on the southwest side of my patio and gets full sun until late afternoon or early evening, so it gets pretty hot there. There may be one or more other nests in the bed. We saw one other tell-tale pile of dirt near the bed before we saw the mama in the act and realized what was happening.

I originally posted this in the California forum, but someone there suggested I also post it in this forum.

Thanks,

Connie
Kent VanSooy

Re: Western Fence Lizard Nest

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Hi Connie, I found your message interesting, because something very similar happened to us (and we live in Oceanside, not too far from you): my wife was gardening and found a female fence lizard which had just laid eggs in one of our planters (dirt covered with mulch, and a rose bush nearby! But a cicad instead of a Bird of Paradise). She asked some of the same questions - I told her that the female lizard must have liked everything about that spot (warmth, moisture level), and to just keep keep watering the way she had been, but also take care to make that spot didn't start getting too dry as the summer wore on.

No doubt others will provide advice about hatching them yourself, which is an easy enough thing to do.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Connie,

It sounds like your garden has been paid quite the compliment by the little Mom.

You touch my heart and its people like you I want as neighbors.

Kent has great advice, all the best ..

You know, when you think of it, these natural situations always resolve Purely. Even if its not the way we expect, another citizen of your serene flowerbed may benefit the abundance of the cycle of life.
connie3140

Post by connie3140 »

Thanks so much, Kelly and Kent. I'm going to protect these little guys. i'm not sure about trying to raise them myself. My patio's pretty protected and there aren't any loose pets wandering around this 55+ neighborhood. I've been very lucky. Earlier this spring I had a hummer nest in a tree right outside my door. I got to watch the mama sitting on the nest and watch the babies grow up. It got really hot and on one day the babies who were too young to fledge kept falling out of the nest. I think they were trying to get away from each other's heat. I put one back in the nest about five times that day and also gently misted the leaves around their nest to keep them cool. They survived that day and went on to fledge. It was a really neat thing to be a part of. I also watched the Mama hummer chase a lizard down the trunk and across the patio. She was quite a good mom.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

connie3140 wrote:Thanks so much, Kelly and Kent. I'm going to protect these little guys. i'm not sure about trying to raise them myself. My patio's pretty protected and there aren't any loose pets wandering around this 55+ neighborhood. I've been very lucky. Earlier this spring I had a hummer nest in a tree right outside my door. I got to watch the mama sitting on the nest and watch the babies grow up. It got really hot and on one day the babies who were too young to fledge kept falling out of the nest. I think they were trying to get away from each other's heat. I put one back in the nest about five times that day and also gently misted the leaves around their nest to keep them cool. They survived that day and went on to fledge. It was a really neat thing to be a part of. I also watched the Mama hummer chase a lizard down the trunk and across the patio. She was quite a good mom.

It sounds like Springtime is splendid at your house (and busy)

Once a long time ago also on a very hot day, I was feeling worried about something, so I went outside to water the plants. Almost as soon as I started a hummingbird arced down and started bathing in the spray, she was bold and close - her center of gravity so still, while she ruffled her head under her wings like any other bird would bathe - except electrical and mid air. I kept thinking she would stop any second but she was really wanting to be thorough - so I held the hose as careful as I could the same angle and finally she vanished as quick as she appeared and I realized I wasn't worried at all any more. I wanted to share this with you because your post made my day happier.

Thank you Connie and I hope you see wee little lizards around soon

Kelly
connie3140

Post by connie3140 »

Kelly, that's amazing! That must have been magical. I rigged up a mister near my patio, hoping to see hummingbirds fly through it, but haven't been successful. I will keep trying. Yes, I hope the little lizards make it. I hope to get some photos.