Snake added to collection

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

simus343

Snake added to collection

Post by simus343 »

Last week I heard from a friend/old professor that someone was talking to them about getting rid of a Nerodia fasciata that had been a pet for 2 years, from hatchling size. He wouldn't take it but I have been looking for a tame one for education so I contacted the original owner who purchased it CBB at a ReptiCon 2 years ago.

Before I go any further I would like to say I solved my previous caging issue, cleaned up some old cages, and now have a few extras empty cages in waiting :roll:. I just needed to find the time to clean them up which came around finally!

Any how, back to the Nerodia. I had a WC Red Phase Florida Banded Water-snake for 2 years when I was younger and lived in Tampa. I know how to care for them, temps, all that already. My question at hand is in regards to feeding.

The snake I had in Tampa fed on a diet of pet store feeder fish, nothing else. I now know this to be unhealthy. While they are certainly good for filling an empty belly, they do not provide all the necessary nutrition. This individual has been fed feeder fish, sun fish, pickerel, bass , killifish, mosquito fish, and a small species of freshwater catfish that lives in Florida rivers and creeks. Would this large variety of fish be sufficient to cover nutritional needs or should I add Green Frogs and Leopard Frogs to the diet as well? If so, to avoid affecting true frog populations too much, I will only be offering 1 a month.

The snake is currently large enough to eat a fish about as wide as a Ball-Park Hotdog to give an idea for the snakes girth.

Thanks for any advice for feeding diet :thumb: .
BillMcGighan

Re: Snake added to collection

Post by BillMcGighan »

This individual has been fed feeder fish, sun fish, pickerel, bass , killifish, mosquito fish, and a small species of freshwater catfish that lives in Florida rivers and creeks. Would this large variety of fish be sufficient to cover nutritional needs or should I add Green Frogs and Leopard Frogs to the diet as well?
Sounds like this animal has been raised pretty well.

I don't know their source but this website has a list of good and bad.

http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/20 ... minase.php

Personally, IMHO, not only would I include common frogs (based on quantity you'd need), I'd now and then include a fish scented mouse (I keep some adult hairless mice in the freezer for such non-standard feeds.)
I've raised Northern Waters from yoy to adult on just sunfish, young trout, and frogs.

As an ethical consideration, on a rainy night in FL, it's often easy to stock up on fresh, road-killed frogs and freeze them. (Folks in other states should check on state frog harvest laws before using locally common frogs.)
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Thanks for that link. That was my main concern with fish was the Thiamin issues. As far as the spectrum of the lists provided, the snake has not been fed Thiaminase present fish besides feeder fish. I am within my means to easily acquire Thiaminase free fish and freeze them. I may add true frogs still because of a consideration I just had.

True Frogs - seeming to be at least Green Frogs and Leopard Frogs, cause adult Eastern Hognose Snakes to begin to grow very rapidly compared to a toad diet. I am curious to see how a diet with true frogs will affect growth of Nerodia fasciata. As I only have one I will have to keep detailed records of feeding, shedding, weight, and length obviously - for the future when I may have Banded Water-Snake not on true frogs.
On the chance that True Frogs cause Nerodia fasciata to grow faster as with Heterodon platyrhinos, this will be useful. I happen to have access to a pond where I can take and kill all the largemouth bass I want - in an effort to restore a permanent fishless pond (which use to be riddled with Barking Tree Frogs).

As far as dead frogs, I don't know but it seems in the areas that are convenient for me to cruise for Amphibians, no one else seems to drive those roads during rain :|. Adding to that, I have never seen a roadkill True Frog...ever...anywhere haha.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its bone and liver tissue that have what it takes for growth, fishes have that in good supply but Nerodia are so vibrant and robust that some variety in prey chi would be thoughtful enrichment imo.

The snake is lucky to have come to you. Any wild prey you might use is also lucky to be processed by someone as astute and gracious as you also, if I may say so as well.