New Guy Introduction (and a few photos of my reptiles)

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

eminart

New Guy Introduction (and a few photos of my reptiles)

Post by eminart »

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the site. Obviously I joined for the field herp talk, but I've also been keeping reptiles since I was a young kid.... so over 30 years, I guess. Back in the 80's when I started there was no internet and very little good info on husbandry. In the early years, the animals I kept were found by myself in the woods and farms around our home - Lots of ringneck snakes, toads, baby snapping turtles from our pond, black kingsnakes, etc. As I got a little older (10?) I began to buy a few reptiles here and there. And, of course, eventually, as the hobby and information grew, I began to only keep captive bred animals.

I've never been a volume keeper. At the moment, there are 3 snakes and one tortoise in my house.

Here's a few photos:

Poki, the Testudo Kleinmanni (egyptian tortoise) This photo is a few years old. I realize now I really need to get some updated photos of her. I got her as a hatchling in '07.

Loki, the Drymarchon Corais Couperi (eastern indigo) I waited almost 30 years to finally realize my dream of keeping this snake. I think I've had him about 5 months now, and I couldn't be happier. Obviously, he's captive bred, and I have all the permits.

The other two snakes, are corns, and actually belong to my daughter. I got the first one (the amber) for her when she was 6, I believe, and the amel, she got this past summer. My daughter is 9 now, so she's been keeping snakes for almost 4 years. She kept frogs before that.

Lyla

Bert

Kelly Mc

Re: New Guy Introduction (and a few photos of my reptiles)

Post by Kelly Mc »

:thumb: Welcome Eminart ..

That's a great slice of specialness for sure !
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Welcome to FHF!! This is a great place. I recognize you from iherp :)
-Bethany
eminart

Post by eminart »

I thought you looked familiar.
eminart

Post by eminart »

And, just for fun, here's a recent video of Loki attacking a dead mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuF2OHpIOs

Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Kleinmanni! Cool! Don't see many of those.

Where did you get your indigo? I've been trying to get one to replace an old male that I had for about a year and half now, and no luck.

--Berkeley
eminart

Post by eminart »

Berkeley Boone wrote:Kleinmanni! Cool! Don't see many of those.
Yeah, they're not very common. I've started thinking about trying to find a mate for Poki, when I have the extra cash to swing it.

Berkeley Boone wrote:Where did you get your indigo? I've been trying to get one to replace an old male that I had for about a year and half now, and no luck.
He's from Robert Bruce, in CA. If you're not a member of Drymarchon Enthusiasts on facebook, you should join. There are several breeders there, including Black Pearl Reptiles, which is probably where I'll get my next indigo. If you got on their list now, you could probably get a baby this coming summer.