history and availability of Santa Cruz gophersnake?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

history and availability of Santa Cruz gophersnake?

Post by Joseph S. »

I noticed these guys (p.c pumilus) are apparently in private collections. Any idea as to history and availability?
VICtort

Re: history and availability of Santa Cruz gophersnake?

Post by VICtort »

Well Joseph, you have come up with something of mystery. I distinctly remember some being advertised on the website named after a snake, a few years ago, and thinking to myself, "there is no doubt an interesting story how this animal made it into the trade, and not necessarily lawful". I bet if you went to the Pituophis blogs/websites/dealers/12 step programs, somebody would know someone who has them.

BTW, you lived out on Catalina Island, CA. for awhile, Yes? If so, I (we?) would love to see photos of the snakes you encountered out there. Of special interest are the rattlesnakes, I heard rumors that they might be split off from C. o. helleri.... Anything district about them morphologically, or another split based on genetype/DnA? Are the gophers snakes (if any) the same as on the other Channel Islands? Catalina and the Channel Islands in general are amazing, it is hard to understand why one island has a species and the island within sight and outwardly similar does not. This is apparent with herpetofauna such as the Pituophis in question.

BTW, if you should acquire a Pituophis c. pumilus (or whatever is the correct label for the island race), we would like to see it. Not a photo often seen in my experience.

Vic