Question about frequency of shedding

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NewYorkHerper16

Question about frequency of shedding

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Hi all! Recently i got a new adult L. g. splendida as a rescue, and he has shed twice in the last month. He came from a questionable background (the people didnt even know that he was a desert kingsnake), and he had a nasty scab that completely covered his rostral and internasal scales. Since having him, he hasn't missed a meal and has been doing really well! After the first shed of the month the scab was all but gone (the new skin underneath is not perfect but there are not any open wounds or anything like that)! However, now he has just shed again not four weeks later. Is this something to be concerned about or is this just a natural mechanism of completely healing the skin that was damaged on his face?

Thanks for your advice!

-Alex
Soopaman

Re: Question about frequency of shedding

Post by Soopaman »

NewYorkHerper16 wrote:Hi all! Recently i got a new adult L. g. splendida as a rescue, and he has shed twice in the last month. He came from a questionable background (the people didnt even know that he was a desert kingsnake), and he had a nasty scab that completely covered his rostral and internasal scales. Since having him, he hasn't missed a meal and has been doing really well! After the first shed of the month the scab was all but gone (the new skin underneath is not perfect but there are not any open wounds or anything like that)! However, now he has just shed again not four weeks later. Is this something to be concerned about or is this just a natural mechanism of completely healing the skin that was damaged on his face?

Thanks for your advice!

-Alex

I believe this is a natural mechanism to accelerate the healing process in this animal. I collected an in-shed L. c. calligaster a few weeks ago, and it had a winter blister on it's face. When it shed, the blister was mostly gone. Some 3 weeks and several feedings later, it was in shed again, I presume to help complete the process of removing the blister.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I believe this is a natural mechanism to accelerate the healing process in this animal.
This seems most probable and there is a fringe condition associated with thyroid activity that can spawn it.

I once rescued an male Eastern Indigo that was kept at a reptile dealer with another large male.
It was lacerated by the other's jaws so that there was a skin tear that went a full 3/4 around the anterior section.
It was sutured, given antibiotics, and proceeded to shed once a week for 5 weeks till there was little more than a scar left!
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Thanks for the quick reply, y'all! I'm so relieved to hear that this is normal and a sign that he's on his way to healing completely. I had a feeling that's what it was, but of course there was still a little piece of me that was worried about him! Thanks again!!!

-Alex