King's Inquisition

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

King's Inquisition

Post by Kelly Mc »

I just saw something fascinating. This morning I decided to switch out my multifasciata's water feature which is a hard white plastic tray, for a Pyrex glass one of same dimensions.

He was "still in bed" when I changed it out but I know he felt the percussive and shifting of artifact as I did so. I then took care of a few tasks outside the room and when I returned I saw that he had emerged, barely a first quadrant or so from one of his passageways that he had created closest to the water feature and he was distinctively poised in a focused stare at the pyrex dish. The interesting thing is there was no tongue flicking, perhaps there was initially but not when I arrived. As I watched it was a perplexity that was purely visual - I had never seen him focus on an inanimate object so intensely. It was a reflective surprise perhaps, coming out seeing that in place of the other thing, after the familiar minor disruption that happens in the morning when I refresh his dish, which had become a habituated icon of basal necessity - Water.

It was impossible to get a pic , I didn't have my phone and it wouldn't have mattered as he cocked up to look at me as I looked from above trying not to waver on the ball of my foot in the half step I was frozen in.

But it was fascinating. Im putting it here just because!
condyle

Re: King's Inquisition

Post by condyle »

I use to use Mirrors on all my aquaria and Vivaria. This was a 70s fad for aquarists, adding a glorious dimension for display. Anyhow, I observed this all the time with my Colubrids and Boids and even the tetras, as you mentioned with your Coastal.
Kelly Mc

Re: King's Inquisition

Post by Kelly Mc »

Hey that's neat! Yeah I know its hard to believe maybe but man, he just radiated intense surprise heehee!