Yuma phase kingsnake, is mine pure?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Daniel.Iversen

Yuma phase kingsnake, is mine pure?

Post by Daniel.Iversen »

Hello!

I live in Europe and I bought a Yuma Kingsnake, what do you think?

They told me it comes from Yuma, what do you think looking at its pattern?

simus343

Re: Yuma phase kingsnake, is mine pure?

Post by simus343 »

Looks like the typical "California Kingsnake" that I see in pet stores like PetSmart. So, unless the standard common phase is the "Yuma" phase, it wouldn't appear so. There's a rescue Cali King at work and we just got a yearling Cali King. The rescue is more white than cream, but the yearling looks the same except the pattern is cleaner. I'm not going into work until Tuesday, but I'll get some pics and put them up here.

Though, from a good 'ol google search, it would appear that it is a Yuma phase Cali King.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Daniel, did you buy Hubbs' book yet? Based on your pattern of inquiries here, I'm certain it will interest and gratify you.

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Kingsnakes ... 0975464116

cheers
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Jimi wrote:Daniel, did you buy Hubbs' book yet? Based on your pattern of inquiries here, I'm certain it will interest and gratify you.

cheers
Indeed..!

Both Mr Brian Hubbs and Ross Padilla hold keys to the kingdom. The Spidey and King Kong of Lampropeltis.
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

This is what I think of when I hear 'Yuma phase' Cal king:

They should have a mostly-black head, and thin white bands.

Your snake looks as though it could be considered a Yuma morph, but perhaps it's not the best example.

Jeff
Daniel.Iversen

Post by Daniel.Iversen »

Jimi wrote:Daniel, did you buy Hubbs' book yet? Based on your pattern of inquiries here, I'm certain it will interest and gratify you.

cheers
i am collecting the money, wish to read it very soon ! :) I've much heard about that book
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

That is definitely not a Yuma morph. A snake from Yuma would be very dark with the light bands almost non-existent. I get really tired of the breeders who can't identify what they sell, or just lie to people to make more money...
Daniel.Iversen

Post by Daniel.Iversen »

Hello !

I've reached the guy who is keeping the grandparents of my snake, a dutch breeder named Jaap Kooji. He wild caought them not in Yuma, as the seller told me, but in the Phoenix area . He told me is a very rare locality and to tale care of it.

EDIT: now he is saying: "it came from Phoenix but is called Yumanensis. Phoenix has a mix of Californiae and Splendida. This is clearly a pure Californiae. A very nice snake! I did not catch it myself but my friend Don Shores did."
Daniel.Iversen

Post by Daniel.Iversen »

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Im not going to try to make a call on your snakes locality identity its not my thing, and there are people here that are the best in the field at that, as stated earlier.

But it all sounds pretty nebulous - not in a nefarious way, but unless you really know a guy or collect it yourself I wouldnt count on 'purity' of any cb snake just on standard of prudency. Im not really getting the rare locality factor but it sounds like player talk.

If you were planning to breed it, pair it up with the same claimed locality I dont think you can bill the progeny as anything 'pure' and although herpetoculture is enamored currently with production and it is fun, if not being sure of the locality trip deflates the excitement somewhat of your acquisition, it doesnt have to be that way.

You could perhaps reframe your possession of the specimen and set it up nice as a healthy, thriving gem - a testament to the beauty of its species.

Delete hobby swells and wanes of interest, delete what other people value and enjoy the snake on its own merit.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

He told me is a very rare locality
oh dear; perhaps it is, in NL, but that certainly is not true for that animal near Phoenix
it sounds like player talk
+1 on that, unless he was just talking - truthfully - about what's available in the European market
Delete hobby swells and wanes of interest, delete what other people value and enjoy the snake on its own merit.
Good advice; I would add for emphasis, "Figure out what turns your crank, and to hell with the masses." You never know, maybe the masses will come around to your way of thinking, and (re?)develop an interest in what you like. Regardless, with an animal that could live up to 40 years, don't put yourself OR IT in a position where your attraction to and care for it are influenced by external valuations. You are in a social contract with that animal. I wouldn't let anyone else threaten your maintaining your side of the deal. If that makes sense...

cheers
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Having an intense interest in the area and habitat of a snake one is keeping is easy to appreciate.

I hope you are successful in finding out as much as you can, I love it when a snake gets lucky with such focus. Share more in the future, it will be cool to see how youve set up the vivarium and other notes.

I really want to follow up on your experience with this, I think the origin hunt and an owner super interested in his king is of great value to this section.