Wanted Locality Red Colored Corns

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

vinman

Wanted Locality Red Colored Corns

Post by vinman » January 14th, 2019, 9:32 am

I'm looking for anyone breeding or could collect me really red colored Locality corns. I don't want hobby garbage hybrids. I'm looking for pure corns that don't have hobby stock in them.

You can message me here
Send me a email vrherps @ yahoo.com
Call me, don't text because it is a land line . 718 792 2593 from 10 am to 11 pm EST

Kelly Mc

Re: Wanted Locality Red Colored Corns

Post by Kelly Mc » January 16th, 2019, 11:45 pm

I have been guilty of allowing mutts to happen. I did not have the heart to separate a pair of adult corns left at our back door. They exhibited bonded behaviors. When the female became gravid I thought I would feed the eggs to my tegu, but I didnt have the heart to do that either. The babies were homed as carefully as I was able, as single pets.

I hope you find your Red Corns, Vinman. Nothin like em, imo. They will always be the American Beauties of Snakes. Timber Rattlesnakes being the other species that deserves to be on a stamp, a coin or a flag.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » January 31st, 2019, 12:20 pm

The one morph Ive seen, of corns that does make me exhale woe are the Extreme Okeetees.

I could see having a giant enclosure with an upright tree trunk and a big chunk carved out, with a pair of those or just some cherry okeetees . I would like to breed some kind of snake again, Im not able to throw away my verm and my baby boxes and even got the hydor cable back from my cabinet. So its like a little ember that refuses to go out. Thats all the pleasure part. The selling and placement part is what Im personally burnt out on, probably for good.

Its cool that you are into the locality guys and yeah the redder the better, amirite?!

sjohn

Post by sjohn » February 6th, 2019, 8:31 am

Google Scott John Reptiles and look at the site for the locality Okeetee Corns.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » February 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Exquisite Animals there, sjohn. Love to see some portraits of your favorite Sires and Dams, if you do that sort of thing.

vinman

Post by vinman » February 22nd, 2019, 8:45 am

There are few breeders that have true locality Okeetee Corns. Those arte my favorite corns the extreme Okeetees are not pure okeetee. I'm looking for some central to north Florida corns that are red

vinman

Post by vinman » February 22nd, 2019, 8:55 am

Kelly Mc wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 11:45 pm
I have been guilty of allowing mutts to happen. I did not have the heart to separate a pair of adult corns left at our back door. They exhibited bonded behaviors. When the female became gravid I thought I would feed the eggs to my tegu, but I didnt have the heart to do that either. The babies were homed as carefully as I was able, as single pets.

I hope you find your Red Corns, Vinman. Nothin like em, imo. They will always be the American Beauties of Snakes. Timber Rattlesnakes being the other species that deserves to be on a stamp, a coin or a flag.

By mutts I mean having king, milks, Pituophis and emoryi mixed in them. The corn snake is the cannery of the snake world. Mixing morphs is not what I was talking about I do that all the time

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » February 22nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Ah yuck, yeah.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » February 23rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

Meaning the Frankensnaking.

vinman

Post by vinman » February 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm

This is why I want corn snakes I can trace back to wild stock

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » February 23rd, 2019, 6:07 pm

I get it. I have a snake I can do that with, whos exact locality area is gone, developed over.

But I get what you want. Thats part of the reason why it was a problem to me, when that mixing stuff was first brought up and the anomalous occurrence of it happening in nature was used as a justification, along with ppl 'being free' to do what they wanted with their snakes but people should also be free to know what the snake they have is and that it didnt descend from those types of entrepreneur experiments.

There is a beautiful edge to preserving locality forms I think its great.

Some people criticize snake purists, mostly because they are doing a different thing but it is well respected in the curation of other biological hobbies

vinman

Post by vinman » February 23rd, 2019, 7:11 pm

I like locality stuff and want to keep and breed deep red locality lines. I also would like to breed to my Blood red hets. I have a F1 male and F2 female. the F1 male is 20 or 21 come early summer. They are pure Okeetee crossed to the original line of blood reds. I researched all the animals that were used in the making of the Okeetee stock I used to cross to the blood red back to the wild caughts

Rusty

Post by Rusty » March 19th, 2019, 8:07 am

Vin,

I think I have what you're looking for, I found a few, very red "red rats" (what I call them) at a golf course over the past 10 years.

I initially didn't keep them, just caught, took a photograph, and released them.

However, after seeing the area being developed into homes, I decided I was going to collect a pair.

Of course, when I made this decision, I stopped seeing any Corns. My passive catching turned into an active hunt, and I wad lucky enough to find a neonate male a few years ago (found on a Palm Tree).

He turned into a very large (5ft) Red Rat/Corn.

I continued to search for a female and was unsuccessful for years. This is when I decided to acquire a Palmetto female for breeding.

My goal was to remove the bug eye Palmettos by introducing wild genes. The other goal would be to produce some "Blood Red" looking Corns that would be Het Palmetto.

I kept a single pair of Het Palmettos/Het Wild Red for breeding.

The male Het is almost patternless/red and the female Het is more orange with a slight pattern.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... p?t=669886

2018 was my first year breeding the Hets back to each other and the Palmettos looked good. The Normals looked nice, but I sold the entire clutch so I cannot say how red they were/are.

I plan on breeding the Het Palmetto / Het Wild Red pair again this year, so if you're interested I can send a few your way.

Thanks,
Rusty
[email protected]

vinman

Post by vinman » March 19th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Thank you Rusty for the offer. I'm not looking for any hobby stock corns because 99% of the color morphs are hybrids. I be very interested in the wild caught male.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » March 23rd, 2019, 5:51 am

Understand, I will inquire about the male; he's a pet with a friend's family, so the chances are slim.

vinman

Post by vinman » March 23rd, 2019, 6:25 am

Thank you