for all the hobbiests/collectors

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

cyputts

for all the hobbiests/collectors

Post by cyputts »

im planning on building another amphibian terrarium and was hoping to get some more ideas on what i have. so any pics would be awesome! also my gf is saving up for a green tree (i got her into herps! lol). and i want to do something great for a cage and i need some ideas for this as well. anything, pictures, suggestions, tips, what ever info you have will be greatly respected and thanked. thank you for taking the time and reading. -sean
Matt J

Re: for all the hobbiests/collectors

Post by Matt J »

Check out these photo galleries:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741813@N ... 154473638/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741813@N ... 031340089/

There seem to be a lot of tutorials (text and a few videos) online, just Google "vivarium" or "terrarium". Do you have any pics of your current set-ups, that would be neat to see. Oh yeah, is your GF getting a green treefrog or a green frog, cuz who the hell would want a pet green frog (lol).
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

I have a barking treefrog tank. They're good herps. What's also fun is wiring some bromeliads (air plants) to the back of the screen cage. The frogs love it.
Viridovipera

Post by Viridovipera »

Maybe he meant a green tree boa ;)

What I like to do is connect my water and land systems. I have a plexi glass divider separating the two. Then at the bottom of the land I have small rocks or moss separating the "dirt" (where you can grow plants if the tank is big enough) from the water that inevitably permiates through the dirt. Then by connecting this water to the water-section water and having a filter in there all I need to do is add water to the land section and it will get filtered not only by the plants, but by the filter in the water section as well. It's complicated to set up, but it results in a pretty low maintenance (except for changing the soil and cleaning out mold/algae in humid tanks) and results in a really natural looking environment.
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess his gf is saving for a green tree....

.....python

I just hope my female Merauke will be ready to go this season.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Chris,
That's a very nice Merauke.
cyputts

Post by cyputts »

thank you all for the post and as soon as i have my set up done ill post some pics. i have alot of drawings and more ideas just time to start building and chris is right. sorry i wasnt more clear lol.
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

here's a couple pics from a paludarium I recently set up

there's a slow dripping seep on one side

There are some gray tree frog tadpoles in right now, but only b/c the tiny pool they were in is about dry, the goal is something more tropical, mabye red eyes or milk frog and some sort of anole or day gecko, I'll see what's available captive bred and somewhat local

Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I wouldn't keep anoles in a set up like that FWIW. They're *not* great swimmers and if one falls in it'll drown. Plus thier food will fall into the water and drown fairly frequently unless you use feeding stations.
cyputts

Post by cyputts »

cool thanks.. and day gecko? thats something ima think about placing in my tank lol then again it wont really be a amphibian tank now would it?
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I'd be leery of using most small arboreal lizards in a tank like that. They dont tend to swim very well, and while they're pretty good about not falling, it only takes one time...TBH, I know there's some semi aquatic lizards (shinisaurus) but those are pricey, hard to find and hard to care for IIRC.
Stick with anurans, and maybe some small hardy fish? Or salamanders. Or possibly some sort of small arboreal snake? You could weight down a stump or some branches in the water and wire some sort of pothos maybe to it for the snake to climb on? I dont know.

edit: BTW, that tank is it's own work of art. Seriously neater than anything I've ever managed. What sort of temps are you managing in it? and how large is it?
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Thanks for the compliment on the tank, it's a 65 gallon, 36x18x24. Right now the day temps are sitting around 82 and at night the temp drops anywhere from 65 to 75, depending on how cold the house gets. I'm adding some heat lights today, one for daytime and one for nightime.
As for the lizards, on the left side, I added a small peice of wood that should be easy enough for any lizard to climb out of the water, and the right side has a rock that should be easy for them as well. If they do fall in the water, they will never have to move more than 3-4 inches to get out.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

That might work. Put in some tree frogs and maybe some small fish and have yourself a neat little biodome.
crwheeler

Post by crwheeler »

Check out dendroboard.com as well. Never mind, just realized this thread is a year old ;)
justinm

Post by justinm »

For what it's worth I've seen several species of Skink swim (very well) away from me.
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

justinm wrote:For what it's worth I've seen several species of Skink swim (very well) away from me.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol: