HELP - Rat Snake

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Delfinus

HELP - Rat Snake

Post by Delfinus »

We got a rat snake several months ago. We had it about a month before it managed to get out of it's cage. This was about six months ago. My boyfriend just found it in the basement. The snake was small when we got it, as it was a baby, but he is tiny now. I'm not sure he has eaten at all since he got out.

We have no pinkies on hand, and honestly, he is so small I'm not sure he could get one down. Is it ok to try and feed him a meal worm or wax worm? We have plenty of these on hand for the bearded dragon, and they are small, but I want to make sure they would be ok?

*EDIT BY PSYON*

Delfinus is my sister. She apparently couldn't reach me for part of the weekend and thought to come ask you guys. She is learning quickly! Also, I am moving this to the captive subforum
Bryan Hamilton

Re: HELP - Rat Snake

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

He probably won't eat a meal worm or waxworm but you can try.

A nice, warm, live pinky would be the best thing.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I would be very surprised if it took a waxworm. Try cutting a f/t pinkie in half, thawing that half and feeding it to him. If he's good after 2-3 days, feed him the other half, then go on to full size pinks again for a bit.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

If it is that small... mouse or fuzzy leg... hind leg... has the hair, meat and bone.
Don

Post by Don »

It can eat whatever it was eating before it got skinny..........just don't overdo it. If you can't find a pinky (what the heck were you gonna feed it before the great escape) try an anole, ground skink or treefrog. My best suggestion is a FT pinky. Give it a very small hide box that it can fit in without a lot of spare room, a teensy access hole, and stick a pink headfirst (head only) in that hole. It will vanish.

Do that weekly until it bulks up a bit, then increase the size of the prey animal incrementally.

That's worked with every neonate ratsnake I've had........and one of those is a big, ugly sucker pushing 28 years of age. You may also want to look at your caging. They're not supposed to be able to bust out!
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Let it have water first.
I'm convinced that missing snakes that die when found and fed die because they have not been sufficiently hydrated to digest the meal. Give it access to water for a few days, and then feed it.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Bring him with you when you come up on Monday, and we will check him out to see what his condition is. Also, I have plenty of extra small pinks I can give you.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

oh, and I'd advise a more secure cage ;)
Delfinus

Post by Delfinus »

We have indeed made the cage more secure - I'm still not sure how it got out of the first one anyways. Good climber!
We fed him pinkies before the escape - but we have another snake now, so all the leftovers were fed to her, since we assumed the other was gone.
I got him to take a pinkie down on Sunday (and he actually did that much easier than I anticipated). I have offered him food every day since just in case, but he hasn't eaten again - probably not surprising since that was a big meal.
He has had a nice large bowl of water the entire time, and I have noticed him stick his head in there a few times, so I assume he is indeed keeping himself hydrated.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions!

And yes - when you bring your brats back we will bring him with for an examination.