Southern Pine

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

monklet

Southern Pine

Post by monklet »

I took some pics, then was checking them out and she went into this thing... Pretty cool!
AlanER

Re: Southern Pine

Post by AlanER »

The most beautiful of the Pituophis.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

AlanER wrote:The most beautiful of the Pituophis.
Pfft... The bullsnakes from Iowa and Illinois are prettier if you ask me.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

a big reddish bull gives that a run for it's money...but it is a stunning snake
monklet

Post by monklet »

Well then, what about this...
monklet

Post by monklet »

...and like WTF?
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

That white southern pine is stunning.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Thanks Tamara, how about this one? :)
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

that one with the yellow...what?? Is that a morph, locality, selective breeding or something else???? OMG awesome
monklet

Post by monklet »

:lol: Long story Paul. It is a likely at least 3/4 Louisiana Pine (P. ruthveni) and is apparently from an infamous line that got "tainted". With what, I can't say for sure but may be Black Pine (P. m. lodingi), as if that makes any sense. Also could be a result of line breeding "clean-up" and color intensification. If you replaced the high yellow with a cool beige, and painted some mottling on the head it would look pretty much like ruthveni.

Here is a 99% sure for pure ruthveni. Note that due to limited original breeding stock due to this species rarity this specimen is likely "cleaner" than you'd find in the wild.

As is I just call him a "WTF Pine" ...fanstastic pet, extremely tame and robust. I have decided I won't breed him though as there is already enough confusion regarding the CB population of this species.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I'll take these any day over what was posted already

monklet

Post by monklet »

Yeah, that top one's a really nice "Kankakee" ...well deserving of a decent photograph. But I enjoy many different pits, and snakes in general. Hard to have just one favorite and even harder to have everything I want ;-) The important thing I guess is that I love what I've got :)
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Hard to have just one favorite and even harder to have everything I want ;-) The important thing I guess is that I love what I've got :)
most essential herp keeping advice ever.
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Really like that first pic! :thumb:

You certainly have an awesome collection of pits!

Seems like this forum is starting to get some traffic. :D

Gary
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

I agree with Gary -- that first pic/animal ROCKS.
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

monklet wrote:Here is a 99% sure for pure ruthveni. Note that due to limited original breeding stock due to this species rarity this specimen is likely "cleaner" than you'd find in the wild.
You're saying that this animal more closely resembles ruthveni than a wild specimen?
monklet

Post by monklet »

Thanks Carl and Gary for the nice compliments. That first one is a great snake but is being finicky lately for some reason, and it's a female too. Very gentle animal though.
MHollanders wrote:
monklet wrote:Here is a 99% sure for pure ruthveni. Note that due to limited original breeding stock due to this species rarity this specimen is likely "cleaner" than you'd find in the wild.
You're saying that this animal more closely resembles ruthveni than a wild specimen?
:lol: Oh, not at all. Just seems like most WC ruthveni are "dirtier" and are even considered "fugly" pits by some who hold them in great affection. The general wisdom seems to be that line breeding tends to clean up patterns and bring out colors, probably mostly due to either purposeful or inadvertent selection for cleaner animals.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I've got one of them WC fugly ones...actually it's very pretty (if you can get past it's looks.) :lol:

Brad, that thing is gorgeous! And you have exactly how many Pits? Jeez, Loo-eez. :thumb:
Tim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Tim Borski wrote:I've got one of them WC fugly ones...actually it's very pretty (if you can get past it's looks.) :lol:

Brad, that thing is gorgeous! And you have exactly how many Pits? Jeez, Loo-eez. :thumb:
Tim
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...I guess I have exactly 2 (many). Let's see now, guess that would be 15 Pituophis total.

You can see pretty much my whole snakey collection right here. Use the dropdown to select whichever group you want to see. (btw, anyone can add their collection here for display and husbandry tracking).
http://serpentrack.com/?c=browse&a=coll ... =keepers_1
Snake Junky

Post by Snake Junky »

Beautiful pits. :thumb: I have always wanted a Pine or two. Reminds me of growing up catching 6 foot Gophers. I haven't found one over 6 foot since. I think Im gonna look for some Pines for sale. Thanks for sharing.
justinm

Post by justinm »

monklet wrote:Yeah, that top one's a really nice "Kankakee" ...well deserving of a decent photograph. But I enjoy many different pits, and snakes in general. Hard to have just one favorite and even harder to have everything I want ;-) The important thing I guess is that I love what I've got :)

Kankakee? I found one nicer than either of those literally in MY backyard, I mean in the yard. I'll post pics later when I get them online. Nice snakes Monklet, don't listen to Don.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Thanks Justin, post 'em up!
DMong

Post by DMong »

Gosh Brad!,.......those are some stunning animals, and awesomely done photos to boot! :beer:

~Doug