My boa laid eggs!!!

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chris Smith

My boa laid eggs!!!

Post by Chris Smith » April 14th, 2011, 11:14 am

Hey all, most folks have been taught one of the main differences between boas and pythons is that boas are ovoviviparous (live birth), and pythons are oviparous (lay eggs). However, as you all are already aware, there are always exceptions to the conventional rules. To date, there are at least two known species of boa that lay eggs (i.e. Eryx jayakari and Eryx muelleri). Depending on whose taxonomy you follow you might consider Calabaria reinhardtii a boid as well.

I have been working with sand boas (Eryx spp.) for ~10 years now, and currently keep 6 species (including a trio of LTC captive [>5 years] Eryx muelleri). Well one of my LTC female Eryx muelleri laid 10 thin shelled to shell-less 'eggs' (8 looked good, two unfertilized) on March 25th. Today April 14th, the first baby pipped (the known incubation periods appears to be 10-22 days). Two of the eggs look great, four look so so, and 2 might have went bad (we will see). These babies are truly "captive bred" (not from gravid imported females).

Cheers,
Chris

Ecto Hunter

Re: My boa laid eggs!!!

Post by Ecto Hunter » April 14th, 2011, 11:21 am

Awesome! I used to have a little rough-scale when I was a kid. Great snakes, sand boas.

Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub » April 14th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Congrats Chris. They are tough eggs to incubate with their thin shells. They would be nearly impossible if they needed a full 60 days to hatch.

Did you move the eggs or did you just cover them and incubate the entire lay box?

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » April 14th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I moved the female to a box with vermiculite (~2 weeks before she dropped). I then put her back into her normal cage and moved the whole box into the incubator (as recommend in your article). There were a couple eggs (including the hatch photo above) that were not connected to others, and I was able to lift and inspect them from time to time.

Thanks,
-Chris

Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub » April 16th, 2011, 12:27 am

Thanks Chris. I was sort of hoping you had handled them and proven us wrong. They really are water balloons without much integrity. Any update?

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » April 16th, 2011, 12:20 pm

I had handled one of the eggs ~3 times during incubation (and it hatched). Two babies are out, I fear the rest of the eggs have gone bad.

-Chris

Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub » April 17th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Two fatties is better than none. Congrats

Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. » April 18th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I suppose the success rate with hatching eggs from WC females must be very low as well?

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » April 21st, 2011, 9:24 am

Joseph S. wrote:I suppose the success rate with hatching eggs from WC females must be very low as well?
I know people have managed to do it. I think all the good eggs would of hatched if I would of paid more attention to them (I have been crazy busy/out of town). It is tough to keep/breed animals when you are out of town for >1/3 of the year.

-Chris