Worst Disaster Ever...

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joshua Dimpfl

Worst Disaster Ever...

Post by Joshua Dimpfl »

Last Saturday, the 9th, we had a pretty bad hail storm, power flickered in an out. In an attempt to prevent any power surges in my workshop (Where I keep all of my animals) I shut the heater off. Sunday rolls around and I make my way down to the workshop towards the evening, when I open the door I am blasted with not only the most humid and hot air, but a very gut-wrenching and horrible truth. Sometime in the middle of the night the heater SOMEHOW kicked back on, but did not set itself to the thermostat. Sunday was a nice 87 degrees ambient temp outside, when I entered that workshop, it was a very real 130 degrees inside. Every sing snake I have ever owned, which at the time was 46, was dead in its tub. Not to mention I was rehabilitating a crow, whom also was dead in his cage. I indeed had a nervous break down. I had a lot of new rat snake morphs, some that were very difficult to come by.

So, I suppose I probably should try asking here as well. If anyone has or knows anyone who are selling any rat snake morphs, kingsnakes, pituophis or pygmy rattlesnakes, please let me know. I can't afford to pay a lot, considering my entire collection had been wiped out, and instead of sitting back and changing hobbies to stamp collecting, I have decided to suck it up and start anew.

Nick

Re: Worst Disaster Ever...

Post by Nick »

That's pretty horrible. I've heard too many heating malfunction horror stories.

Once eggs hatch I should have a good number of rats, kings, and some pits available. I may be willing to move some of my adults, but I'll have to think about that. If you can make it to Daytona there are usually a lot of adult snakes going for super-cheap. A lot of people are getting out of colubrid breeding.

Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Wow, I can't even imagine what you're feeling right now, Joshua. :( I'm really sorry to hear about that, and I wish you luck with your new beginning. As mentioned above, herp shows are the best place to find all sorts of snakes for super low prices.

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this, Joshua. If I still had come corns and stuff, I'd send em' out! I got rid of most of my collection last year.

take care,
scott

Joshua Dimpfl

Post by Joshua Dimpfl »

I attend a lot of the shows locally, the next closest one is in June. I'm slowly starting up a new collection, just had a pair of 2010 east Texas speckled kings arrive this morning.

Saunders

Post by Saunders »

That sucks man, but I admire your attitude to move on.
I have Beauty Rat Snakes if that interests you, and I have some gravid cornsnakes of morphs involving bloodred and some variations of that.

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Bummer dude. It sucks to lose 1 snake. Losing a whole collection... I can't even imagine. Best of luck!

-Chris

monklet

Post by monklet »

Really sorry man, that's gotta hurt bad.
Saunders wrote:That sucks man, but I admire your attitude to move on.
Definitely!

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Wow...I cant imagine what you must be feeling after that calamity.

Hope you can rebuild and restart! I've seen ads for temp controls that call your cellphone if there is a big temp change. You may want to investigate that too.

Damn.... that totally sucks

Dave

keown

Post by keown »

Joshua,

Sorry to hear about your disaster. I feel for you and I can relate to it. A few years ago when I was still living up in Wyoming, we finished out our basement to provide additional living and office space....including a herp room. Normally without any heat the basement maintained a pretty consistent year round tempereature of 55 degrees F, so we kept electric baseboard heat going in the basement year round. I had the herp room set-set up with its own individual thermostat. We left town for a long-weekend and upon return , I went down to the herp room to check on the animals and was overcome by the heat and the stench when I opened the door. I immediately looked at the two therometers in the room and they both showed it to be 127 degrees F. The sheetrock wall above the baseboad heat was so hot that you could not touch it. Every water bowl was totally evaporated. I lost 18 of my 22 animals....Senticolis, Bogertophis, thayeri, alterna, triangulum all gone in a heartbeat. I have had other disasters but on a much smaller scale than this one. The thermostat that failed had been in place for less than 6 months. I know that it is enough to make a person consider just finding another hobby, but my advice is to just give it some time and slowly build your collection back up.

Take care.

Gerald

reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Sorry for your loss Josh!

Talusman

Post by Talusman »

Running two thermostats in line with one set ~ 5 degrees higher might prevent this from happening.

justinm

Post by justinm »

I had a similar issue about two years ago and lost a variety of hard to come by animals. I'm still not over it. Dealing with the issue after being gone for a long weekend was gut wrenching for me, so I know what you're feeling. I have a Kingsnake that lived and it's just not right in the head now, but it still eats... Keep your chin up. If I was a breeder I would send you some snakes to love.