incubation blues

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Paul White

incubation blues

Post by Paul White »

I've got 2 clutches incubating right now....37 days in, which means between 13 and 23 days left and I'm biting my nails hoping everything is OK and hoping some of the possible het traits prove out. Does this ever get easier? I keep wanting to tell the to hatch already :lol:

the part that i'm most nervous about is they may hatch when I'm out of town at a wedding; my brother's getting hitched June 1st in bakersfield, and I'll be flying out the 30th of May, coming back in the 2nd.

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: incubation blues

Post by Scott Waters »

They'll be fine for several days, so don't worry. Do not stress that short of a time frame.

And no, the wait never gets easier! I had the same nervousness last year when I let my Bredli Python incubate her own eggs. I had never gone that route before, so I was nervous the whole time, worried she might be overstressed, etc. Not at all! She hatched them out.....and went 16 of 17! AND, she looked totally fine after all that time (50 days), sitting on the eggs, and not eating.

So don't worry, they are very tough animals. Much tougher than we think.

Enjoy!

Scott

Nick

Post by Nick »

I actually like leaving town around the time eggs are due to hatch. It's more fun to come back and see everything crawling around than it is to check on the eggs 5 times a day.

Paul White

Post by Paul White »

They're hatching :) Came home from the wedding found 3 DH white side/axanthics out of the egg and 2 more pipping. One of the axanthic/hypo clutch is pipping so far.

KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Paul White wrote:They're hatching :) Came home from the wedding found 3 DH white side/axanthics out of the egg and 2 more pipping. One of the axanthic/hypo clutch is pipping so far.
CONGRATS! :beer: :thumb: Let's see some pics!

DMong

Post by DMong »

Very cool bro!...........good luck with them! :beer:

~Doug

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

If eggs get laid in the water bowl... they're history, right? My son left the bowl in the tank and my Chi-go Bull laid 9 eggs in the water... not all were submerged so I moved them en mass to vermiculite, without rotating any. I was so looking forward to little bulls... :( jim

Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Might as well wait and see :) Did he have a nest box in the cage? I left the water in and all mine laid in the nesting chamber, no problem.

DMong

Post by DMong »

hellihooks wrote:If eggs get laid in the water bowl... they're history, right? My son left the bowl in the tank and my Chi-go Bull laid 9 eggs in the water... not all were submerged so I moved them en mass to vermiculite, without rotating any. I was so looking forward to little bulls... :( jim

Yeah, nobody can definitively say how long they can handle being submerged (I'm quite certain not very long), but I have had some Honduran milk eggs that were laid in extremely shallow water in the bowl. As I recall, I caught this within the next day and almost all of them went onto hatch without incidence. Whenever I have a bowl in with a gravid female expecting to lay anytime, even with good laybox area provided, I still will ALWAYS fill the bowl with just enough water for the female to drink when I know it has been a bit after her pre-lay shed........ just in case. Mine were not submerged though, and if any of yours were only partially in the water, like the higher ones, you might still have a very good chance of hatching some. It just all depends on how deep in the water any of them were, and how long they were like this.

best of luck with them.... :beer:

~Doug