Pituophis deppei jani, Part 2

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Berkeley Boone

Pituophis deppei jani, Part 2

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Over the Labor Day weekend, I had a little time to be able to photograph a few snakes. The weather and light conditions were just right, and fortuitously, several of them had fresh coats of paint as well- so out they went into the yard.
In my last post, I promised to take a few pictures of some of my other jani, since people seemed to like those so much. Here are a few of my favorite individuals:

This big guy came from our very own Scott Waters. I have a female that looks very similar to him, and will be pairing them up in the spring next year. I really like the white background and intense orange of these particular snakes.

This pretty little girl will be paired up with the following male next spring, as well. She is very bright, and in strong light it almost hurts to look at her!

Finally, this male, who will be paired with the previous female. This is one that I hatched out back in 2007. He was orange straight out of the egg, before he even had his first shed so I knew he was going to be my holdback from that group. I really like how faded his saddles are just behind his head. I have another female that has this same characteristic, so it will be interesting to see if that continues on. He is probably my favorite of the jani group that I have right now.

I hope you all have been having successful hatches this year!
--Berkeley
Jason_Hood

Re: Pituophis deppei jani, Part 2

Post by Jason_Hood »

I really love these snakes and the look on the last 2 in particular!! Great animals!!

Jason
monklet

Post by monklet »

Boy, and I thought my jani was a knockout! That first one is simply the best jani I've ever seen ...by a full lap! :shock: :shock: :shock: ...all the rest are just right on it's tail. Those are just sweet! ...great light, great scenes, great snakes and great job :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D 8-) 8-)

edit: just took another look ...even nice than I thought! I won't sleep well tonight. ;)
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Those are incredible! I didn't know they were that colorful
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Wow...animal number one is incredible.

Aren't all jani in the hobby from a single locale?
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Thanks Jason. I am glad you like these guys too. As Dell mentioned in the previous post, they are kind of under-represented.

Thank you Brad. Yes, I think the stars aligned just right on the day I photo'd that batch of snakes. I am pleased with the result. Don't sell your jani boy short- I remember him, and I think he's a looker as well! :)

Cam- Thanks man. Most of the ones you will see available are not that bright or as clean looking. Sadly, a lot of people try to sell babies as the ugly ducklings that will develop into screamers later (I hate the word 'screamers' by the way) when the babies never even have the potential to develop into good snakes anyway. I strive to keep a variety of the 'phases', so maybe I am a little biased.

Thanks Joseph. I had not heard that- tell me more. It wouldn't surprise me terribly, but I feel like there are at least a couple of localities that are the ancenstors to the captive jani today. I have no evidence, just going off of pure speculation about the distinct (to me, at least) background color 'phases': white, pale, yellow, orange, muddy and speckled.

Much appreciated gentlemen!
--Berkeley
Daniel.Iversen

Post by Daniel.Iversen »

hello !! :) Yes I know, this thread is 5 years old, but I can't see the pictures anymore :(

I've got a P.d.jani too
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Hi Daniel-
No worries on the delay. It is nice to bring up old threads periodically. I am sorry about you not being able to see the pictures- I changed photo hosting sites since then and don't have them linked up anymore. Perhaps I will see about updating the pics and reposting.

In the meantime, show us a picture of your jani! They are wonderful snakes!

--Berkeley
Daniel.Iversen

Post by Daniel.Iversen »