Nice little longicauda from this year...

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

lateralis

Nice little longicauda from this year...

Post by lateralis »

Not too often seen...enjoy
monklet

Re: Nice little longicauda from this year...

Post by monklet »

Very sweet indeed! :D
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Thanks mate, I actually meant to ad a bit of back story on her but my wife came in and demanded action be taken on something else so I just hit post jajaja

So, now that the CB forum is going again, I meant to show these guys and gals off to the masses. She is the offspring of two unrelated longicauda that I got as babies from an estate sale on the east coast. There was no paperwork but they were sworn to be Harding line offspring cb from two unrelated animals that came in originally. Anyone who has done their homework on boas will know that longicauda were fairly recently described by Price and Russo and are a valid sub species of the boid group. The area of Peru where they originate from is called Tumbes, it is an isolated region in the north that borders Ecuador. This ssp. is truly one of the rarest boas out there, there has been no formal work done to date due to the border dispute between the two countries. Herpetologists were supposedly calling them uncommon back when the first animals came into the US in the late 80's and early 90's. There were a few shipments of a dozen or two animals apparently and that was it. No more. And no one has gone down to find one to my knowledge.

I raised this little girls parents up from babies and they turned into stunning adults from rather drab looking babies, aside from having a freakishly long tail they didnt look any different from other baby boas and were in fact much uglier than most.

When mom and dad hit 5 years old they bred like maniacs in the winter and early spring of 05-06 and mom produced 24 perfect offspring. There were normals, anerys, and some that I called Mocha. They were coffee colored and had black eyes. Two of them were like that, a male and a female but that is another story...

Getting back to the little girl above. Last winter I put the parents together while I was away on vacation for about a week, I didnt really want to breed her again but figured since it was so short a time and not in the "window" it wouldnt take. On my dad's birthday the following July she gave birth to 14 perfect babies and one still born. So much for timing...
However, I was not dissapointed by what I found...in addition to another almost perfect litter, I noticed another two freaks in the bunch. Two more "hypoish" looking snakes, only this pair had very reduced pattern in addition to almost total lack of black.

There is a line in Europe called "Zeros" that have no pattern at all and I am beginning to wonder....

If you have read this far thanks for the comps on the picture!

Cheers
Lat
justinm

Post by justinm »

Pretty little boa, looks different than I've seen before. How large are the adults? I've had some big boas in the past, don't work with the larger snakes now.

Do they get this big?

Paul White

Post by Paul White »

dang that's a big boa you got there.

Nice longicauda!
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Thanks Paul, Justin, nope longicauda stay fairly compact, my adults are around 5-6'. Nowhere near as large as the one in your photo. I like the smaller animals myself and these are the only types of boas I keep, but I was especially drawn to the unusual color change they go through as they mature and their overall uniqueness. Until they hit about three years old you just have no idea what they will look like, each shed is a surprise, its rather interesting since they come from a deciduous type forest region that sits above the mangrove forests of the coast and below the upper montane areas of the Andes. Lots of seasonal change in habitat would bode well for a snake that took so long to arrive at its adult color/pattern.

Cheers
Lat
justinm

Post by justinm »

Do you have any pics that show the changes you're talking about? I'm super interested in these guys now!
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Little Richard by lateralis

The father is above, here is the mom when she was gravid this past winter, I have some that I held back from her first litter that look like the dad.

I have some normal pairs left as well as some anery's I think. I am slling the normals for $250 plus shipping. If you like smaller boas that are different than the norm than you would likely enjoy these...

cheers
Nir

Post by Nir »

Very nice longi's!!

I have a pair myself that I intend on breeding this year... First time trying to breed boas... We'll see how it goes....

I hope you don't mind... This is my female:

lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Very nice indeed, the ones I held back look similar to your girl, I'l l have to post a picture of them. They are really great snakes to work with and they dont turn into monsters which is a bonus.

CHeers
Lat
p.S. anyone else feel free to share pics of your longicauda, I'd love to see what else people are working with.