How do I tell these apart...Help me Varanoidguys. Pic now up

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MuayThaipan

How do I tell these apart...Help me Varanoidguys. Pic now up

Post by MuayThaipan »

Ill get a pic for you tomorrow because I'm sure you guys will be able to I.D it then but heres the story.
Okay some of you Varanoid guys help me out. So a guy gives me what he says is a V.exanthematicus I dont think it is because its so colorful but, someone gave it to him as a 6 inch juvie, how do you tell the difference between a Varanus exanthematicus and a Varanus albigularis/Varanus a. ionides? It seems to colorful to me to be a sav and the heads to bulky to me. This thing is almost 4ft long and weighs about 35lb's the previous owners where morons, its morbidly obese they fed it almost nothing but eggs. Whats the safest way to get it on a weight loss program? But even more importantly what the hell is it. I'm sure you'll be able to tell by the pics but what are the coloration,scalation,structural differences? I'd love to know for future references as the exanthematicus/albigularis group confuses the hell outta me. Sorry I had to use a cellphone this is the best I could do but should be more than enough to I.D it.
Paul White

Re: How do I tell these apart...Help me Varanoid guys.

Post by Paul White »

feed it roaches--live ones that it has to chase and hunt down. Make sure it can get really warm--the basking area should temp gun at 120+ farenheit. Mix in poultry and some mice, but mostly roaches and birds. Let it get warm. give it a spacious cage with lots of dirt for digging. It should lose the weight.

As far as differences--IMO, sav heads are blunter, and they tend to be duller, and they tend to be smaller overall (significantly). Like, at 4', I'd be thinking it's probably NOT exanthematicus. Most savs I've seen are 3.5' or less.
justinm

Re: How do I tell these apart...Help me Varanoidguys. Pic no

Post by justinm »

Try some fruits and veggies as well, these guys will surprise you with what they'll eat. Don't give it dog or cat food of any kinds. Paul's spot on about giving it bugs while it's young, they'll outgrow this but it's good for them to chase and move a bit.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Looks like the Savy I used to have.... only much fatter.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

that's a sav. really, really fat, and not 4' unless that's a huge table.

Justinnm, they'll still eat roaches as adults, or mine would anyway. Big old hissers or death's heads :) Snails too.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Exanthamaticus has the larger scales on and near the head. Albigularis has smaller scales. The Savanah you have pictured is... I believe an East African. They were imported in large numbers for a few years. They had distinctly sky blue spots. The other has yellow spots... (I could have them reversed).

As to feeding... It's interesting how one paper or account is presented and it is perpetuated through subsequent accounts. It then becomes law. I suspect that these lizards are opportunitistic feeders. While insects might be a large part of their during certain times of the year... I'll bet birds, mammals and reptiles also comprise a good portion of their diet during other times of the years.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

In captive savs what looks like Being Fat is really lipidosis of the liver causing a swell of inner capacities . When it starts and then for a time into it , there is often a ravenous appetite . There is an edge of abnormalcy to it however that those who have fed alot of savs can detect . Impaired ability for the liver to do its job is the reason . Then as the animal continues to "gain Wieght" it becomes more lethargic . Often this will be linked to the superficially robust appearance . " All he does is eat and sleep lol " etc .

Then , unlike so many other reptile pathologies (tendency to linger) there comes a fast crash - organs shut down and they pass . It comes suddenly - sometimes with a short anorexia right before , but I have known others to eat up to the time of death .
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Yes, that is a sav. Like previously said, get it really warm, properly hydrate, and give good shelter. As for diet, insects and garden snails (in a pesticide-free zone), as well as lean ground turkey diet (see internet for San Diego Zoo diet). Feed small quantities more often and the weight usually comes off as long as hepatic lipidosis isn't too huge a factor.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I raised a sav from hatchling to adult. Kept her for over 2 years. Her diet was extremely varied and at the time we were still learning about varanid diet.(still are I guess but I don't keep them anymore). This was the mid 90's. She ate insects like crazy as a juvenile. Unfortunately I was never able to get snails for her although it was recommended.

She went absolutely nuts for eggs but it was a rare treat. I would have her raising up from the floor, scratching the kitchen counter when she smelled eggs.

I let her hunt down live mice on a few occasions until one bit her above the eye. We all make dumb mistakes in the beginning. She fed well on zoo-meds monitor diet..kept her at a good weight. She never showed an interest in grapes or any fruit.

Insects, rodents, the occasional egg, canned diet, ground turkey, chicken parts.

I miss keeping varanids!